Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Touch Pro problems on 3 network

• 15-04-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently bought an unlocked Touch Pro on e-bay and just yesterday switched from O2 to 3 (sim only) to make use of their mobile internet offerings. They have confirmed all of my settings and I can make calls and texts no problem but I have connection problems with their mobile broadband. Google loads slowly, as do search results but when it comes to loading one of the results, the progress bar starts and then stalls about 1/10th of the way across the screen. I spoke with a 3 tech support guy who checked my settings against the TyTn II (only HTC they support), all of which were fine. He can offer no further support. Any ideas? Does anyone else have a Touch Pro on the 3 network?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

stupid question but are you 100% sure you're locked on to 3's 3G signal...

Using a unlocked phone can sometimes let you use data via vodafone but it dosen't seem to work that great, could be your problem..

did you get planet 3 working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Drunkmonkey,

I do not have a 3G signal where I am right now - only GPRS but I can confirm that it is connected and in use - how else would I be able to search google?

John

you can't, you need 3G reception... do a manual network search when your at home and see which 3G networks appear, that's the network to go with...

DM,

So if I understand you correctly, I can only use 3's mobile internet whenever I can pick up a 3G singnal and GPRS, EDGE or HSPA will not work (they do for O2)? That's a bit of a bind!

John

You've hit the nail on the head 3G only with 3...

What your accessing google on now is through Vodafone even though it's telling you it's 3's GPRS

EDIT:

Just edge and gprs will not work(basically anything below 3G), 3G, HSDPA etc will work, same as o2

• Advertisement

DM,

Thanks man, I'll give it a shot next time I'm in town and see if it works. I will use WiFi from home but I have to say that it seems strange that the 3 network will not allow me to access the net through GPRS - it may be slow but at least it's better than nothing at all!

I just noticed your question re planet 3 - it's an unlocked handset so I don't have it installed. Is it worth getting and if so is it possible to install?

Best,

John

it's free all you need to do is set it as your home page or save it as a bookmark, you can read the news, watch tv and a few other things through it....it's worth a look some time you've signal, it's not accessable over wifi only though the 3G network, you can also check you minutes and texts, credit remaining etc...

everthing you need to set it up is here...just use the settings..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59482925&postcount=10

p.s there's a thumps up if you look to your right, feel free to click it...:)

DM,

Just to let you know I checked connection in town (HSPA) and all was fine - even quite fast so thanks for the help. Still don't understand why it doesn't work at all through GPRS but at least I know there is no fault.

Cheers,

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Bemused wrote: »
    DM,

Just to let you know I checked connection in town (HSPA) and all was fine - even quite fast so thanks for the help. Still don't understand why it doesn't work at all through GPRS but at least I know there is no fault.

Cheers,

John

The main reason would be that they're unwilling to pay Vodafone for data roaming.

Adro947 wrote: »
    The main reason would be that they're unwilling to pay Vodafone for data roaming.

that's cause there bloody expensive....

• Advertisement
Advertisement