Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaking oil should I have to pay

• 15-04-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi i got oil fitted in to the house last year in feb the landlord said i could pay for the oil 50 euro a month and he put up the rent to pay for fitting the rads etc now if you ask me there should have been rads in the house anyway but that rant is for an other day

Now just before christmas i had to get an other fill and someone came out to work on the boiler for the oil then about 2 weeks ago it ran out tought to my self didnt get very long out of that so had to get more oil then yesterday i was cleaning up the side of the house geting rid of a lot of things and got rid of the leaves and found oil all over the ground the boiler was leaking so i dont no how much oil i have lost but it looks like a lot im still paying the landlord for the oil he paid for should i be able to stop paying him as ive lost a lot of oil and dont see why i should have to pay for it

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

You let the oil leak. You should pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

How did i let it leak it is not my fault if his work men did not do there job right it was not me working on the boiler and the oil is leaking from the boiler outside i only seen it the yesterday but my the looks of it it has been like that a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You let the oil leak. You should pay for it.

Jesus .. its a heating system using a combustable substance .. its supposed to be SAFE.

OP .. call the landlord and demand money back, if you bought a car new and it was leaking petrol all over the place you would take them to the cleaners !

If you bought the oil directly it would be your issue, however since the landlord had the system installed and supplied the oil then your contract is with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Turn the oil off at the tank. NOW!

First off - how much oil? You could be dealing with a serious pollution threat and the entire area arounf the tank being dug up. You need to talk to the landlord and council (drainage / environment) ASAP.

If the landlord had the tank, pipes etc. fitted, its his problem to fix. However, you may also have responsiilities as the occupier. I would suggest you talk to a solicitor.

If you now don't have the use of a heating system, then yes, you could ask for a rent reduction. That is, assuming the garden / house foundations don't have to be dug up to remove the oil.

Advertisement