Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jewellers with decent priced engagement rings

• 15-04-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for a jewellers that sell decent engagement rings for €500+. A few of the websites I've looked on have starting prices of around €1500+ and in my opinion thats just crazy!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cant see you getting anything at that budget, at least anything decent.. Could be wrong. Maybe this is better suited in the forum covering all this? Handy for advise etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

JoeyW wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for a jewellers that sell decent engagement rings for €500+. A few of the websites I've looked on have starting prices of around €1500+ and in my opinion thats just crazy!

Thanks

A few years ago when I fell, I thought about €1000 would be about right. - I was put right straight away! and ended at 4k+ - but she's worth it & shes looks at the ring every day.

Basically, it is hopefully the only engagement ring you'll ever buy. It also always has value, so paying 2k+ is a sort of investment. My advice is to go to a couple of independent jewellers in Carlow and ask their advice. Goldmark are particulary good at advising you on best value as are Douglas Jewellers.

Avoid online unless you know exactly what you're buying - also avoid Argos who sell muck at over inflated prices.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

An Argos engagement ring?! Jesus.

Some people fly over to the states to get the ring and bring it back over then. Or try mail over if the jewler is a trusted and well known one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

An argos engagement ring lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Hey don't knock it! Goes well with the tesco wedding! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Sure if you don't have money any type of ring will do. Its about the love right. There is a jeweller in tullow street, saw couple of good rings there but can't remeber the name of the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Sure if you don't have money any type of ring will do. Its about the love right. There is a jeweller in tullow street, saw couple of good rings there but can't remeber the name of the shop.

That is very true it is all about the love. But saying that i'd rather get a cheap ring from an actual jewellers than one in a store like argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

There are such places as discount Jewellers. I doubt there are any in Carlow though.

They are wholesale jewellers, and are mostly in Dublin. Try google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Just make sure its a tough one ,,,the ladies tend to throw it back now and again,,lol

should have called it an enragement ring,,,jaysus if i had a euro for everytime the wife threw hers id be worth a fortune,,,lol

I think your best bet is H samuel in Dublin,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

JoeyW wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

I got engagement ring 4 years ago in douglas jewlers on tullow st, paid 450, we decided to spend money on wedding and saved on the rings, seemed the sensebile thing to do and it was, there is a man in there, i think he is the owner, he was very understanding when i told him the budget i had to deal with, actually had a range of cheaper stuff. She was very happy with it and still got the usuall oooohs and aaaaahs

My advise is shop around, be creative, decide together
    4k would pay alot of your wedding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Here you go - they have 2 shops in Dublin.

http://www.hpj-jewellers.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Don't know name of the two jewellers but they may have been mentioned already. Reasonable but excellent jewellers.

The one beside Subway and the other one is beside Mrs Quin Charity Shop, near Supermacs.

There is a decent enough Jewlers in Kilkennys shoping center (the new one). If your heading to Dublin then I recommend Ernest Jones on Grafton St. H Samuel is alright, not the greatest of stores for that kinda stuff.

As for Carlow... well I dont know any apart from one in that shopping center and it wouldnt be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Sully wrote: »
    There is a decent enough Jewlers in Kilkennys shoping center (the new one). If your heading to Dublin then I recommend Ernest Jones on Grafton St. H Samuel is alright, not the greatest of stores for that kinda stuff.

As for Carlow... well I dont know any apart from one in that shopping center and it wouldnt be the best.

Ernest Jones & H Samuels are one of the same. (Previously called Ratners in the UK) Also in my opinion their quality & pricing is in the argos league - e.g. over priced sh1te.

Go local, they'll be interested in selling you the wedding rings later + all the jewellry she'll demand over the next 50 years!

Ernest and Jones have much better quality rings then HSamuel.. Neither can be compared to Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carolinei

Hi,

Douglas Jewellers at the bottom of Tullow Street beside the Mac's Menswear is the only place to go. Ask for Ivor - Iven, sorry can't remember his name, but he is a lovely guy and honest - and no I'm not associated in any way.

I bought some lovely jewellery in there over the last 5 years and last year I lost an expensive earring and I was distraught, they were able to get me a replacement so I didn't have to loose both of them.

The after service is good. The rest of the staff are really nice and they don't just take your money and run so to speak.

And as a women it might be easy for me to say, but It is not about the size of the rock, its the thought that goes into it - or let her come in with you - or get her a playful plastic ring as a 'token' whilst you propose and let her choose afterwards.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

i chose mine - i looked at all the expensive ones- tho say the bf was having a heart attack - tbh i didn't like any of them - there was one i really loved for 170euro lol but wasnt allowed get that. In the end i saw one in H samuel that i liked for about 5 or 6oo. It was quite unusual one and even though i know 1000's other women have it, it doesn't really matter as i had fun picking it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jelly4

You could try this place. They have a shop in cork I'm told

http://www.secrets-shhh.com/

Advertisement