Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Sleeper Suppliers

Options
  • 15-04-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Im looking for sleepers for the garden but have been quoted crazy prices and many dont deliver. Im based in Kinnegad and i am looking for a supplier who will deliver them to me and doesnt charge the earth for them.

Any Recommendations ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

The Orchard Garden center in Celbridge sell them for 27euro. Much better are scaffolding planks from Chadwicks in Lucan. 13ft long for 6 euro. Try local building sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

The old railway sleepers are only available to farmers these days (supposedly) cos of the creosote. Got 60 last year at E25 a pop. I've heard since they've gone up to E37 each.
    There's a new environmentally friendly version out, it's basically just a 4" thick plank, E19/E20, but doesn't look as well as the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Anduril wrote: »
    The old railway sleepers are only available to farmers these days (supposedly) cos of the creosote. Got 60 last year at E25 a pop. I've heard since they've gone up to E37 each.
    There's a new environmentally friendly version out, it's basically just a 4" thick plank, E19/E20, but doesn't look as well as the old ones.

A little knowledge eh????

Railway sleepers are slowly being banned or replaced within the trade an dretail markets. They are for several environmental grounds for not using railway sleepers, and it makes me cringe to see the 'nouveau' gardeners, grow your own afficinados etc etc jumping to use railway sleepers for the construction of veg beds etc. How contradictory is that?

There are several alternatives, mainly new timbers and most coming from controlled and sustainable resources. A very popular option is Pine which comes in varying lenghts usually 2.4m-3.0m in length but otherwise 225mmx100mm. There are also other thicknesses available including 150mm and 175mm (the latter being rare). Pine sleepers cost around €25.00.

Think I put my "supposedly" in the wrong place.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FarmerBrown

There are non cresoted railway sleepers available on the market that look just like real thing, the new garden sleepers are a poor alternative in the "looks" department though are generally a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There are non cresoted railway sleepers available on the market that look just like real thing, the new garden sleepers are a poor alternative in the "looks" department though are generally a lot cheaper.

No accounting for taste, how anyone could possibly prefer railway sleepers with warts and all is unbelieveable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 00D911

Still Looking fo reccomendations.

No accounting for taste, how anyone could possibly prefer railway sleepers with warts and all is unbelieveable.

No accounting for other people's taste, obviously....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Invincible

00D911 wrote: »
    Still Looking fo reccomendations.

One of the lad's at work got them last year from some fella near Longford town pitch,will ask him for details,think they were 25 euro each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Invincible wrote: »
    One of the lad's at work got them last year from some fella near Longford town pitch,will ask him for details,think they were 25 euro each.

25 euro seems to be the average price alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I got them from Manor Stone in Laois who do them and will deliver

www.manorstone.ie

no affiliation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭wewantchilly

I got them from Manor Stone in Laois who do them and will deliver

www.manorstone.ie

no affiliation etc.

probably not what you want to hear, but the use of railway sleepers is generally a bad idea. the cresoate chemicals used in the preservation stage of the making of these gradually leaches out of the timber and can travel inwater ways and in some cases, into vegetable plots. this stain is highly carcinogenic and has been recorded as causing cancer related ailments as well as minor poisonings in the US. further more to this, the environmental impact of using a product that is known to leach into water sources is irresponsible and can affect plant and animal life.
    i agree as to their aesthetically pleasing appearance and their ability to be long lasting, but in my opinion the cons heavily outway the pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

00D911 wrote: »
    Im looking for sleepers for the garden but have been quoted crazy prices and many dont deliver. Im based in Kinnegad and i am looking for a supplier who will deliver them to me and doesnt charge the earth for them.

Any Recommendations ???

Have you tried o'mearas near mullingar, I used to go there when we lived in Kinnegad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The Orchard Garden center in Celbridge sell them for 27euro. Much better are scaffolding planks from Chadwicks in Lucan. 13ft long for 6 euro. Try local building sites.

They've no 13ft ones - they have 8ft. €6 for scaffolding grade or €3 for ones that can't be used in scaffolding. Got some this morning.

Advertisement