Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Repair shops in Longford

Options
  • 15-04-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering about the large number of computer repair/sales shops in Longford - I've counted at least 5 and I have possibly missed a few!

What are people's opinions on them? Had a good or bad experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well if your looking for a repair or anything I'll take a look at it if you want?

The shops in the town seem really expensive on some of the parts they have, the shop opposite the cinema (Fenlons) is the best IMO and a really nice chap aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

thanks for the offer, I was just wondering more than anything. I have an IT degree myself and have used a few of them from time to time, had some good and some bad experiences. I agree with you about the guy in Fenlon's. Good bloke, very good prices on cheap laptops it has to be said. Love to know who his supplier is for him to be selling at that price and still making a profit!

The worst experience I had was in the shop in longford shopping center. I wanted a keyboard as mine had carked it, bought one from the boss there at a hideously inflated price, 20 Euro or so (I was desperate for a new keyboard, so I figured what the heck - sounds so stupid in these recession times doesn't it?). Bad enough, but when I got home the thing was a pile of crap, missing key strokes when I typed etc. So I brought it back, the guy sent me away to try it on another computer, did that, same response. Finally he gave me another 'worse' keyboard according to him (was actually one of the HP keyboards which are a very decent normal keyboard). I also noted that he didn't even attempt to test it before exchanging, which led me to believe he knew their real worth. I just didn't like the way he treated me when he thought I was a lay person, then when I stated I knew what I was talking about and my profession he changed his tune quick sharpish. So over a keyboard he lost a potential long term customer.

Anyway I'm rambling. Lithuanian guy in RCD I think they're called seems good, and Fenlons. Anyone try the indian guys, or the african guys down by the old swimming pool? also the internet cafe up near centra?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Went into those other shops and their prices were crazy, I would only buy my parts online unless I was stuck, then I would head to Fenlons as he has always looked after me in there. If i remember rightly he is a memeber here on boards aswell.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

did you call into me? :D (The Netcafe on new street)

did you call into me? :D (The Netcafe on new street)

That place smells of boys......:o :D

One of my friends had a negative expierence with shopping center guy too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Moonbaby wrote: »
    That place smells of boys......:o :D

One of my friends had a negative expierence with shopping center guy too.

If it smells of boys, its ok! we can sort it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

There is a guy based in Edgeworthstown (I think) that sells used computers and does repairs too.Cant think of his name but he seems like a good guy and good value for money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

10euro for a CAT5 cable in that place in the shopping centre!

I'm also available for work on the side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ger77

You What!

iRock wrote: »
    10euro for a CAT5 cable in that place in the shopping centre!

I'm also available for work on the side :)

His prices seem expensive on a lot of things and to be honest he is not the most helpful of people. I have walked in looking for something specific in there a few times and basically customer service is really poor!

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    His prices seem expensive on a lot of things and to be honest he is not the most helpful of people. I have walked in looking for something specific in there a few times and basically customer service is really poor!

+1 :D

Didn't know the difference between a xover and straight through either!

iRock wrote: »
    +1 :D

Didn't know the difference between a xover and straight through either!

Thats why I go in and hassle them for a few minutes once a week. seems like the right thing to do :pac:

Thats why I go in and hassle them for a few minutes once a week. seems like the right thing to do :pac:

Damn right!

Someone has to keep him in line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

I went to Longford to buy a second hand laptop and sure enough there are a lot of computer shops there, checked about 5-6 of them and they all had something worth considering for sale, bought one in Fenlons same evening, good price, nice Laptop, and no BS.

I will return to Longford again for computer equipment as I would have to go to Dublin or Galway to get the same choice and all that hassle of getting to different shops.

Btw I checked it out because of googling computers midlands and ending up on this thread.:D

There was a mention of a place called "The little linux factory" in Longford but I did not find it, anyone got any idea if it is still there and where in the town it is?

I went to Longford to buy a second hand laptop and sure enough there are a lot of computer shops there, checked about 5-6 of them and they all had something worth considering for sale, bought one in Fenlons same evening, good price, nice Laptop, and no BS.

I will return to Longford again for computer equipment as I would have to go to Dublin or Galway to get the same choice and all that hassle of getting to different shops.

Btw I checked it out because of googling computers midlands and ending up on this thread.:D

There was a mention of a place called "The little linux factory" in Longford but I did not find it, anyone got any idea if it is still there and where in the town it is?

http://www.faqs.org/docs/consult/x9427.html

;)

Might just be a house but I am thinking its beside the Leader's office in Teffia there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Some interesting stories here that ring a bell with me.
    About 2.5 years ago I asked the guy in the shopping centre for the cheapest laptop he had (I needed one for a project I was working on). He had one that would do me but wouldn't sell it to me because "It would be out of date in a year"!!! I'm certain he was trying to sell me a dearer model.
    He actually did me a favour as I went straight up to Fenlons and picked up one (same specs) about 50 euros cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

jonny24ie wrote: »
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/consult/x9427.html

;)

Might just be a house but I am thinking its beside the Leader's office in Teffia there.

Thanks, I will check it out next week, kinda new to Linux so am still on a learning curve.......mind you I think this learning curve goes on forever:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bresgib

hi all
    i know this is an old post but i would like to add
    There is an IT company just outside longford called admin computers (i found them on google)
    i sent my PC in to get it repaired and when i got it back it was like a new computer
    stuff that never worked right works perfect
    i also had the tech out in my house from another company in longford working on a printer this tech could not fix the problem
    so i called admin computers and the tech fixed it over the phone in less than 10 minutes
    if i had called them in the first place it would have saved me a €35 call out from the company that didn't fix it
    i have used them many times since and feel that they deserve a mention
    i would recommend them to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bresgib

sorry all

i have just looked at there website admincomputers.ie and found the address is bay road Business Park
    Mountmellick
    Co. Laois

but i know they have an office just outside longford

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

bresgib wrote: »
    sorry all

i have just looked at there website admincomputers.ie and found the address is bay road Business Park
    Mountmellick
    Co. Laois

but i know they have an office just outside longford

The other office is in Lanesboro, can get the details on the bottom of the contact page. Indeed they are rather good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Goldie22

<snip>

[MOD]

Please don't resurrect long dormant threads to post advertising.

Thread closed.

[/MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement