Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Who Hit Men

Options
  • 15-04-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

And think they can get away with it. What do you think of women who hit men be it a slap or otherwise? Do you think it's fair that it seems socially acceptable for a Woman to hit a guy, but if he retaliates or defends himself he gets his ass kicked by other guys?
    Of course there are physical differences and men can do a lot more damage etc, but frankly I think it's disgusting behaviour if a Woman expects to get away with being violent towards men by pulling the gender card. Men need our protection, not the other way around :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Don't dish it out if you can't take it, that's how I see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

It's just as wrong for a woman to hit a man, however...a man can easily defend himself against a woman without actually hurting her, he could definitely restrain her without too much effort, so why the need to hit her back? Just because she's lost her temper doesn't mean he should lose his, some people just can't stay cool(and by that I mean people of BOTH genders, no matter who strikes out first). Men have a huge physical advantage over women, the sexes are not equal in every way, so it is different if a woman hits a man, imo. Of course I'm not suggesting it's ok, but I don't think it's as potentially dangerous for the man to be hit, as he could overpower her. Am I making sense here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

It's just as wrong for a woman to hit a man, however...a man can easily defend himself against a woman without actually hurting her, he could definitely restrain her without too much effort, so why the need to hit her back? Just because she's lost her temper doesn't mean he should lose his, some people just can't stay cool(and by that I mean people of BOTH genders, no matter who strikes out first). Men have a huge physical advantage over women, the sexes are not equal in every way, so it is different if a man hits a woman, imo.

What if she hits him with, say, a glass?

Or a plate?

Or a chair?

Or a big heavy paperweight off the desk?

Or what if she "hits him" with a knife?

At what point does the violence become unacceptable? When he ceases being able to defend himself? And how do you know a man's capacity to defend himself until you actually give him a slap?

Tenuous territory. Violence is never ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I knew a girl in college who's approach to anything she didn't like was to slap the nearest guy possible. multiple times if she didn't get her way. And as a guy who doesn't believe in hitting girls, i never laid a finger on her. she did however try this in the middle of a pub one night when, in her defense, someone slapped her on the ass, she turned around and slapped the 4 closest men. The last one warned her not to do it again. She slapped him because of this and he slapped her back. I think it was the first time anyone had ever hit her and she looked like her world had just fallen apart. I don't condone violence towards women but it was satisfying to see someone who slapped everyone for 3 years get her due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Before this gets into a battle of the sexes debate and turns into a flurry of gee kicking posts, there are 2 threads active in AH at the moment on this. I intend this thread to be what opinions are of women who think they can get away with it and would you (a woman) stand up to a woman you see hitting a man in public?

• Advertisement

shellyboo wrote: »

Or a plate?

Or a chair?

At what point does the violence become unacceptable? When he ceases being able to defend himself? And how do you know a man's capacity to defend himself until you actually give him a slap?

That's when she gets a couple of well deserved slaps tbh.

Or a plate?

Or a chair?

The OP mentioned nothing about the use of dangerous objects, so I didn't include room for 'what ifs.'
    It's always unacceptable, like I already said, but to me it isn't as bad as a guy hitting a girl. I'm sure you'd have a rough idea of how strong he is. The average man is stronger than the average woman, there's no denying it. Very few people are going to stand there while being repeatedly smacked around, any guy would grab hold of her wrists or restrain her in some other fashion, people don't like being hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Or a plate?

Or a chair?

I'm a man, In my book Its never acceptable to hit a women.

But any of the above makes her fair game. if it was a Knife she came at with,i wouldn't stop until she was unconscious(for safety).
    The OP mentioned nothing about the use of dangerous objects, so I didn't include room for 'what ifs.'
    It's always unacceptable, like I already said, but to me it isn't as bad as a guy hitting a girl.

I'm sorry? did you just suggest that a guy hitting a girl is WORSE then ATTEMPTED MURDER?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A womon walking over and slapping her boyfriend /husband because of OTT flirting is one thing ,that's an emotional response.But a womon who does it because she's a bully and cant get her own way is horrible .Women with to much drink on them can be just as bad at attacking males in public including policemen , as any male on male attack .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Or a plate?

Or a chair?

Jaysus shellyboo, did you have the same neighbours as I did for a while? You left out pram!

Violence sickens me, I actually find even professional boxing quite hard to stomach a lot of the time. If it's actual violence, actually happening to someone in real life I cannae take it. I have witnessed (and had a bit of it directed towards me) a good bit of it in my time and I'm glad to say that it has not desensitised me to it at all.

Violence is wrong regardless of who the perpetrator is.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    I intend this thread to be what opinions are of women who think they can get away with it and would you (a woman) stand up to a woman you see hitting a man in public?

I don't think I would... but I wouldn't be the confrontational type. Giving out to people who skip queues is about as assertive as I get.

I've never hit a man in temper. Have to admit, I've wanted to, but I've never done it.

It's always unacceptable, like I already said, but to me it isn't as bad as a guy hitting a girl. I'm sure you'd have a rough idea of how strong he is. The average man is stronger than the average woman, there's no denying it.

Ok... what if they're both as strong as eachother? Does that make a difference? Is it not allowed then?

And I'm sorry, but saying "it's ok to hit someone if they're stronger" is a total copout. Just because he's stronger doesn't mean he's capable of defending himself if you hit him a slap unawares. It doesn't mean his reflexes are fast, and that he can stop you, or that it won't hurt or do damage.

It's too dangerous to get involved in other people's disputes these days, people seem to have no limits. Having said that I'd still feel the need to do something, so I can't actually say what I'd do, I'd have to be in the position.

I don't think I would... but I wouldn't be the confrontational type. Giving out to people who skip queues is about as assertive as I get.

Even if he were your friend or lover?

Ok... what if they're both as strong as eachother? Does that make a difference? Is it not allowed then?

And I'm sorry, but saying "it's ok to hit someone if they're stronger" is a total copout. Just because he's stronger doesn't mean he's capable of defending himself if you hit him a slap unawares. It doesn't mean his reflexes are fast, and that he can stop you, or that it won't hurt or do damage.

Did I say I was going to go through every scenario? Because I'm not, I took an average.

Oh for god's sake that is NOT what I said, stop putting words into my mouth. :mad:

Latchy wrote: »
    A womon walking over and slapping her boyfriend /husband because of OTT flirting is one thing.

I still don't agree with a woman doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

+1

The hardest punch I ever got was from a guy with a lot less strength then I have.

Oh if it was people I know, I would intervene. I thought we were talking strangers on the street.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What? Cause more aggro with someone who's already proven themselves to be physically violent? Em no thanks, walk away.
    shellyboo wrote:
    Giving out to people who skip queues is about as assertive as I get.

Doing exactly that got me a really hard slap in the face once. :(

Did I say I was going to go through every scenario? Because I'm not, I took an average.

Oh for god's sake that is NOT what I said, stop putting words into my mouth. :mad:

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm questioning as to how far your reasoning extends. Because if you say "It's ok if he's stronger" then you have to account for every scenario that falls under that.

You have to account for all the women who think that. And once you think "It's ok to slap my boyfriend because he's stronger and he can stop me and if he doesn't that's his fault", then after that comes "It's ok to punch my boyfriend because he's stronger and he can stop me and if he doesn't that's his fault". And after that, it's not a very big jump to "It's ok to hit my boyfriend with this glass in my hand because he's stronger and he can stop me and if he doesn't that's his fault".

What I'm trying to point out is that it's a slippery slope. One slap is one slap too many - same as if it was male to female violence. Because it's never just one slap, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

turns into a flurry of gee kicking posts

you're my hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I still don't agree with a woman doing this.
    Understanable and I also agree .But giving that ' some' womon can be over emotional creatures 'at times ' ;) then it's a natural response .

Much different than a womon with to much drink on her , attacking a man for no paticular reason other than being a nuisence in public .

Oh if it was people I know, I would intervene. I thought we were talking strangers on the street.

Well yeah I suppose that too.
    Do women not intervene in situations as much as men? Too much of a calculated risk, or do we not have as much of a hero complex?
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    What? Cause more aggro with someone who's already proven themselves to be physically violent? Em no thanks, walk away.

Walk away while your manfriend gets attacked? I couldn't do it.
    What if there were a group of your ladyfriends, if they outnumbered the scumbag ones, would you try and band together and subdue them?

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm questioning as to how far your reasoning extends. Because if you say "It's ok if he's stronger" then you have to account for every scenario that falls under that.

You have to account for all the women who think that. And once you think "It's ok to slap my boyfriend because he's stronger and he can stop me and if he doesn't that's his fault", then after that comes "It's ok to punch my boyfriend because he's stronger and he can stop me and if he doesn't that's his fault". And after that, it's not a very big jump to "It's ok to hit my boyfriend with this glass in my hand because he's stronger and he can stop me and if he doesn't that's his fault".

What I'm trying to point out is that it's a slippery slope. One slap is one slap too many - same as if it was male to female violence. Because it's never just one slap, is it?

I never once said any of that was ok, I specifically said that it is NOT ok, so you are putting words into my mouth.
    No, I don't have to account for all the women who think that, the only person I have to account for is myself. Everything I've said has been my own personal opinion, not the opinion of womankind or what I think the opinion of womankind should be. I didn't want a debate, I just wanted to state my 2c.
    I can see what you're trying to say, but you didn't have to single me out to make your point.

womon

Why do you spell it like that?

But giving that ' some' womon can be over emotional creatures 'at times ' ;) then it's a natural response .

Er... given that some men can be over emotional creatures at times too, is it a "natural response" for them to hit women?

I just don't agree in admitting that there are any situations in which it's ok to hit someone, no matter what their gender, unless it's in self-defence.

Understanable and I also agree .But giving that ' some' womon can be over emotional creatures 'at times ' ;) then it's a natural response .

Much different than a womon with to much drink on her , attacking a man for no paticular reason other than being a nuisence in public .

What would be my acceptable emotional response if I was put in the exact same situation ? As we know, not all men are macho types that can take it on the chin and put on a brave face. If it was me I'd give her a slap as I'd feel she deserved it, I don't see why I 'wouldn't be allowed'.

I agreee though, no one should be hitting anyone for no reason regardless if they're male or female, sober or drunk.

I can see what you're trying to say, but you didn't have to single me out to make your point.

You were the only saying it's ok to hit a man... so that's why I "singled you out". I agree with everyone else's posts. Hence I didn't have anything to say about their posts.

And I'm just giving my opinion too - am I not allowed to do that? I'm sorry if you feel I'm being aggressive, but if someone says "it's ok to hit X if Y" then I just completely disagree with that. Because it's not ok, ever.

You were the only saying it's ok to hit a man... so that's why I "singled you out". I agree with everyone else's posts. Hence I didn't have anything to say about their posts.

And I'm just giving my opinion too - am I not allowed to do that? I'm sorry if you feel I'm being aggressive, but if someone says "it's ok to hit X if Y" then I just completely disagree with that. Because it's not ok, ever.

For the third time, I never said it was ok.

I'm not repeating myself anymore.

• Advertisement

When a woman hits a man, she doesnt expect fisticuffs. Perhaps it is a better response just to push her back a bit or restrain her arms if she is going at you. A womans slap is never going to have the same impact as a mans. Not only are men generally physically stronger, but womens necks are weaker and can't take a hit as well.

Advertisement