Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Who Hit Men

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

WindSock wrote: »
    Why do you spell it like that?
    Simple spelling error , I ment to say women .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

For the third time, I never said it was ok.

I'm not repeating myself anymore.

Yes, you said "it's not ok". But then you went on to explain all the reasons why it might be ok. Or at least "different".
    It's just as wrong for a woman to hit a man, however...a man can easily defend himself against a woman without actually hurting her, he could definitely restrain her without too much effort, so why the need to hit her back? Just because she's lost her temper doesn't mean he should lose his, some people just can't stay cool(and by that I mean people of BOTH genders, no matter who strikes out first). Men have a huge physical advantage over women, the sexes are not equal in every way, so it is different if a woman hits a man, imo. Of course I'm not suggesting it's ok, but I don't think it's as potentially dangerous for the man to be hit, as he could overpower her. Am I making sense here?

And I am saying, these reasons do not matter. If you think hitting is not ok, why are you trying to mitigate that? "Hitting is not ok, BUT... if a woman hits a man, that's not as bad as a man hitting a woman" to me, is pretty much equivalent to saying "Meh, it's not really ok, but if it happens then so what, it's not like he's going to get hurt or anything." Which is completely untrue.

I've seen the damage a woman can do to a man without even actually hitting him and it's not nice. Women can hurt men, it's nothing to do with strength at all. And it just angers me that there's ANY sort of implication that it's in ANY way, shape or form ok because "men are stronger and can defend themselves".

shellyboo wrote: »
    Er... given that some men can be over emotional creatures at times too, is it a "natural response" for them to hit women?

I just don't agree in admitting that there are any situations in which it's ok to hit someone, no matter what their gender, unless it's in self-defence.
    I think we have all seen the scenarios in the movies/ tv but you will also see it in real life ,were a man insults a womon in some way ,and she will on impulse slap him ,just as if she would slap a womon in same circumstances .But I am not justifying women lashing out like that either ,just saying that it can happen on impulse .Of course it's wrong .

Pyr0 wrote: »
    What would be my acceptable emotional response if I was put in the exact same situation ? As we know, not all men are macho types that can take it on the chin and put on a brave face. If it was me I'd give her a slap as I'd feel she deserved it, I don't see why I 'wouldn't be allowed'.

though, no one should be hitting anyone for no reason regardless if they're male or female, sober or drunk.
    I agree ,thing is in our society ,even in the situation you describe ,the man is somehow always made out to be the ****house for hitting the womon but it's more common and also understandable .Some guys are pretty good at restraing themselfs than others and walking away ( for fear of what they might do ) regardless of their physical build .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Yes, you said "it's not ok". But then you went on to explain all the reasons why it might be ok. Or at least "different".

And I am saying, these reasons do not matter. If you think hitting is not ok, why are you trying to mitigate that? "Hitting is not ok, BUT... if a woman hits a man, that's not as bad as a man hitting a woman" to me, is pretty much equivalent to saying "Meh, it's not really ok, but if it happens then so what, it's not like he's going to get hurt or anything." Which is completely untrue.

I've seen the damage a woman can do to a man without even actually hitting him and it's not nice. Women can hurt men, it's nothing to do with strength at all. And it just angers me that there's ANY sort of implication that it's in ANY way, shape or form ok because "men are stronger and can defend themselves".

You see there's a big difference between saying something's different and that something's ok, which you don't seem to recognise.
    Well you know what? That's YOUR interpretation of what I said, and YOUR opinion. If you want to read into my post that way then fine, but don't go around repeatedly posting that I said something I didn't, because of YOUR interpretation of it being 'pretty much equivalent' to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

And it just angers me that there's ANY sort of implication that it's in ANY way, shape or form ok because "men are stronger and can defend themselves".

This is where I believe double standards should exist. Because this is where I believe we will never be equal....

While it's never ok for men and women to have affairs, I believe it to be more the womans fault, as women have more power over men with their sex.

and

While it is never ok for a man and a woman to hit each other, I believe the men to be more at fault as they have a power over women with their strength.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Walk away while your manfriend gets attacked? I couldn't do it.
    What if there were a group of your ladyfriends, if they outnumbered the scumbag ones, would you try and band together and subdue them?

Christ I thought we were talking about a smack here, not a brawl.

Thankfully I've never been in a position to have to decide whether to wade in or not when a loved one was being set upon by harpys. Dunno what I'd do to be honest, deffo call the guards / nearest bouncer.

A good friend of mine had her face grinded into the street for trying to help a girl who was getting beaten by some other girls. The original victim's lovely boyfriend mistook my friend for one of the attackers (even though she was cradling the girl), and decided to permanently disfigure her.

And people wonder why I hate going out in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

hmmmmm now this i find interesting. While i stand by what i said earlier that i don't condone violence at all in a relationship, I have to say that it is inbuilt into my thinking that, if my OH were to hit me (which she never would, she's a saint :)) then i'd just take it on the chin. Now there are a few reasons why i would leave it at that, simply because i'm bigger than most, i've done my time in the martial arts circuit getting whacked around the place so getting hit doesn't bother me that much and simply put, I'm 99.999% certain that she couldn't do serious damage to me without me at least getting the chance to restrain her.

BUT what interested me the most above the above quote was how women can hurt men without strength at all. I assume this is the whole guilt trip/emotional blackmail thing and i have to say this, in my experience, is def favoured towards guys. I know alot of women here are extremely confident and it takes alot to shake them, but that is usually stemmed from support of someone close, and this person usually fueling the confidence has the greatest power to hurt someone, be it a loved one, family member etc. But with guys i know, myself included, I don't need to stem my confidence from anyone. I LIKE having the usual fueled confidence which a loved one can provide but i don't need it, as various parts of my life have proven to me. As they have with friends of mine. I'm not going to label all men out there are stoic cold hearted beasts but I do think it's alot easier to shatter a woman mentally than it is a man

Latchy wrote: »
    Simple spelling error , I ment to say women .

But you always do it...and 'o' isn't even near 'e' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

This is where I believe double standards should exist. Because this is where I believe we will never be equal....

While it's never ok for men and women to have affairs, I believe it to be more the womans fault, as women have more power over men with their sex.

and

While it is never ok for a man and a woman to hit each other, I believe the men to be more at fault as they have a power over women with their strength.

Thats all in general though. There are some very sexually manipulative men out there as well as very strong women.
    Making one or the other more at fault based purely on gender is being overly simplistic. Each case should be treated individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I just don't agree in admitting that there are any situations in which it's ok to hit someone, no matter what their gender, unless it's in self-defence.

I was right on board with you until this. There are a lot of circumstances where it's perfectly ok to hit someone without including self-defence.

In either event if a woman I considered a friend (or more) raised her hand to me it would be the last time she ever saw me.

If a woman who was a stranger did it, I'd look to walk away, if I couldn't walk away I'd restrain her, if I couldn't restrain her and had no other option than I'd have no problem hitting her back. It would be the last possible act when all other avenues had been closed off, and I wouldn't feel good about it but I'm nobodys punchbag.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Thats all in general though. There are some very sexually manipulative men out there as well as very strong women.
    Making one or the other more at fault based purely on gender is being overly simplistic. Each case should be treated individually.

Yeah thats true. But I'm talking in general terms. Generally. Of course there are always exception.

But you always do it...and 'o' isn't even near 'e' :confused:
    Always do what ? .

A woman .

The women .

Women's group .

You some spellin error steward ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I completely agree with Shellyboo.

In my family I repeatedly saw a female relative hitting a male as she knew she'd get away with it.

I really dislike the attitudes that women hitting men is somehow more acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Funny this should come up now . . . a friend of mine recently got into a fight with her boyfriend, during which she - and I quote - jumped on him and started swinging. I was appalled! And then she acted shocked that he was upset - moreso because she had hit him rather than over their original argument.
    It's just as wrong for a woman to hit a man, however...a man can easily defend himself against a woman without actually hurting her, he could definitely restrain her without too much effort, so why the need to hit her back?

That was her take on it, that she "couldn't actually hurt him" and that it was more a kind of immediate intense reaction. But to me, the obviously lashed out with the intent to hurt him, which speaks volumes. I don't care if I'm a mouse up against a lion, if I intend to hurt someone, that's what matters most.
    Well yeah I suppose that too.
    Do women not intervene in situations as much as men? Too much of a calculated risk, or do we not have as much of a hero complex?

As far as intervening goes, I think I'd intervene by calling the authorities if I were witness to a domestic dispute rather than get involved myself. Unless I knew the chick . . . in my friend's case, I would've dragged her away and stuck her in a cold shower . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

ive heard too many stories about people getting hurt when trying to help someone as part of a couple in an argument so i dont think id ever step in. maybe thats selfish, but my mums friends son got stabbed for trying to help someone in the situation & i dont think its worth the risk. call the guards by all means but never interfere in a couple you dont know arguing.

If it was people i know and either were attacking each other id drag them off if i could & if it was required.

i dont think a woman hitting a man is any more acceptable than a man hitting a woman. in most cases its true that the man will have greater strength than the woman & can handle himself, but im sure its often the case that the man wont do anything for fear of hurting the woman & it can escalate from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Always do what ? .

A womon .

The women .

Women's group .

You some spellin error steward ? :confused:

For this, I will intervene -- it's woman. (But the others are correct!)

SeekUp wrote: »
    For this, I will intervene -- it's woman. (But the others are correct!)
    Of course and your thanked ,just as well we dont use slang speech in all our posts .

Might be because in between on /off pc today , am also jumping in between posts a bit fast today so Windsock felt he need to point my error out .

Some people are more hung up about spelling errors than others to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Windsock you are generally very fair on both sexes and call a spade a spade but I cant say I agree with above.

Sure if we are talking Hollywood style husband beating where its a single slap in the face but what if its biting, eye scraping, kicking, head butting and everything in between.

What good is strength if when you get close enough to restrain a woman by the wrists she headbutts you in the face breaking you nose or sinks her teeth to the bone in your hand. Kick/knee to the groin maybe.

It is not easy to restrain someone who is actively trying to hurt you (without hurting them in the process)

Also I think you sell women a bit short, in my kick boxing/ mma class 2 of the best boxers were girls. Sure I might have been able to lift more weight than them but they could beat me around in a fight.

Of course and your thanked ,just as well we dont use slang speech in all our posts .

Might be because in between on /off pc today , am also jumping in between posts a bit fast today so Windsock felt he need to point my error out .

Some people are more hung up about spelling errors than others to

Not really, I noticed you do this all the time, thats why I thought you did it on purpose. Nothing to do with spelling it wrong, I thought it was to make some sort of statement about not having 'man'/'men' in woman.

sar84 wrote: »
    ive heard too many stories about people getting hurt when trying to help someone as part of a couple in an argument so i dont think id ever step in. maybe thats selfish, but my mums friends son got stabbed for trying to help someone in the situation & i dont think its worth the risk. call the guards by all means but never interfere in a couple you dont know arguing.

If it was people i know and either were attacking each other id drag them off if i could & if it was required.

i dont think a woman hitting a man is any more acceptable than a man hitting a woman. in most cases its true that the man will have greater strength than the woman & can handle himself, but im sure its often the case that the man wont do anything for fear of hurting the woman & it can escalate from there.
    I have seen that happen myself, were a guy is man handling his partner ,some other guy intervenes to tell the guy off and the woman (or both ) turns on the stranger.I did once use my mobile to phone the cops on a guy who was beating up a a girl ,only because I was worried he would kill her .
    Not really, I noticed you do this all the time, thats why I thought you did it on purpose. Nothing to do with spelling it wrong, I thought it was to make some sort of statement about not having 'man'/'men' in woman.
    Never mind .Did you know Johnathan Woss cant pronounce his 'R's :eek:

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    What good is strength if when you get close enough to restrain a woman by the wrists she headbutts you in the face breaking you nose or sinks her teeth to the bone in your hand. Kick/knee to the groin maybe.

It is not easy to restrain someone who is actively trying to hurt you (without hurting them in the process)

Well I think if it gets to the point where the partner is out to physically hurt you with attacks rather than react, then it's game over in the relationship. I'd be packing my bags if I were you and tell her to seek help or report her for domestic violence.
    Also I think you sell women a bit short, in my kick boxing/ mma class 2 of the best boxers were girls. Sure I might have been able to lift more weight than them but they could beat me around in a fight.

Not all women do mma though, I do agree there are some out there that can kick some mens asses, but the majority of us can't. And once you are wrestled to the ground, the heavier one wins (unless you know brazillian ju-jitsu)

SeekUp wrote: »
    As far as intervening goes, I think I'd intervene by calling the authorities if I were witness to a domestic dispute rather than get involved myself. Unless I knew the chick . . . in my friend's case, I would've dragged her away and stuck her in a cold shower . . .

Yeah, I think domestics should be left well alone in public, unless one is getting beaten to a pulp, I think leave them to it. But I have heard of gangs of girls going around trying to be billy big balls and picking on guys randomly because they think they are invincible. These are the types of girls I would like to see get their asses handed to them by other women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

A womon walking over and slapping her boyfriend /husband because of OTT flirting is one thing ,that's an emotional response.
    Yes, because women are incapable of restraint and rational responses, while men are horndogs who need to be whipped into line.

994 wrote: »
    Yes, because women are incapable of restraint and rational responses, while men are horndogs who need to be whipped into line.
    Not every womon but a woman scorned (in public) is not to be messed with .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

As a man I always make a point of thumping back as a sign of my respect for equal status. If I really like them, I lamp them with a brick. ;)

Seriously though, if we take a line that in a two way exchange of blows the man is at fault, and the law does regularly take this line, do we need some kind of heirarchy? If theres a fight between a young woman and a pension aged man, or a disabled man, who is in the wrong then? The strength argument is BS. In truth, whoever starts it is in the wrong and gender is not immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

RedXIV wrote: »
    hmmmmm now this i find interesting. While i stand by what i said earlier that i don't condone violence at all in a relationship, I have to say that it is inbuilt into my thinking that, if my OH were to hit me (which she never would, she's a saint :)) then i'd just take it on the chin. Now there are a few reasons why i would leave it at that, simply because i'm bigger than most, i've done my time in the martial arts circuit getting whacked around the place so getting hit doesn't bother me that much and simply put, I'm 99.999% certain that she couldn't do serious damage to me without me at least getting the chance to restrain her.

Ok.

But what if she threw a glass at you? Or slammed your fingers in a door? Or scratched your face, damaging one of your eyes? Those are things that have happened to male friends of mine.

I know I'm expanding from "hitting" someone, but what we're really talking about here is domestic violence. And when a man inflicts domestic violence on a woman, he doesn't *just* hit her. He hurts her whatever way he can. And the same goes for women - if they are intending to hurt you, they're going to do it the most effective way they can. That probably won't be hitting you, if they're not that strong.

What I'm asking is, if you saw that violent instinct in her, would that not scare you? Because if you want to HURT someone, you're going to do it however you can. And if hitting didn't work this time, then she might try something different next time. Something that WILL hurt. Do you see where I'm going?

RedXIV wrote: »
    BUT what interested me the most above the above quote was how women can hurt men without strength at all. I assume this is the whole guilt trip/emotional blackmail thing and i have to say this, in my experience, is def favoured towards guys.

I wasn't talking about emotionally at all. You don't have to be strong to hurt someone with something sharp or heavy.
    Iago wrote: »
    I was right on board with you until this. There are a lot of circumstances where it's perfectly ok to hit someone without including self-defence.

I can't think of any... enlighten me?

Not all women do mma though, I do agree there are some out there that can kick some mens asses, but the majority of us can't. And once you are wrestled to the ground, the heavier one wins (unless you know brazillian ju-jitsu)

Not if the lighter one has some sort of implement, like I said. We're not talking about boxing or wrestling here, there's no rules. If you're in a fight, you're out to hurt someone... you're going to use whatever you can to do that.

That's why I think any violence is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If I attacked someone stronger than me (man or woman) I would expect to get battered. The "You'res tronger than me, stop fighting back, that's no fair!" excuse doesn't wash in reality.

As for getting involved in couple disputes/brawls, too many times I've seen a guy try intervene when a man was beating on his partner only for both of them to turn and attack him. I just don't get people sometimes.

kowloon wrote: »
    As a man I always make a point of thumping back as a sign of my respect for equal status. If I really like them, I lamp them with a brick. ;)

Seriously though, if we take a line that in a two way exchange of blows the man is at fault, and the law does regularly take this line, do we need some kind of heirarchy? If theres a fight between a young woman and a pension aged man, or a disabled man, who is in the wrong then? The strength argument is BS. In truth, whoever starts it is in the wrong and gender is not immunity.

It is always disgusting when the stronger attacks the weaker. Women are not immune from perpetrating child abuse, I don't see why it is any different if its an oap or someone in who is not physically able to defend themselves.
    To turn that table around though...I don't know how I'd react if an oap or disabled person hit me. I guess I couldnt hit back, I would try to defend myself as best I can.

Most of the time I think in situations I don't think it's even about attacking to hurt, it's about pride & humiliation.

Looking at this video, I think the woman is a complete geebag and is definatley in the wrong, the guy hit her back twice as hard though, and he got kicked to pieces. There is something wrong here from all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Any woman who hits a man knowing that he will not respond is pure scum. It's akin to bullying where the bully does so because he/she knows that the victim will not respond. I'd say 90% of males who are hit by women in a public place are not so much fearful of being hit further by the woman again, they're fearful of what would happen to them if they stood up for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

There will always be people who won't stand for guys hitting women regardless of what she does and end up kicking the sh1t out of guys that stand up for themselves against women. It's sickening.

Advertisement