Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Who Hit Men

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

WindSock wrote: »
    Would you hit a slap back with a punch, or try to administer it to be an equal amount? Or would you just go at it and not care about the force, as long as you get to strike back?

As i said, it's not that you don't "care", it's that you don't really think about it. If a woman slapped me she would be face down on the ground with her arm pinned behind her quicker than she could reel back for a second one.

I say this because i have been assaulted by women in the past, on several occassions, i am a large, physically trained and strong person with years of experience in dealing with this type of spanner like behaviour from all kinds of people and i have actually been trained in, and have actually applied, various restraint techniques.

If you are just some random guy....i don't know, i imagine the default reaction to being struck is to strike back?

And there can't be a physical reply to emotional/verbal provocation?

Legally speaking, a slap is assault. So is shoving and spitting. What do you do if someone shoves or spits on you?

Did i say there couldn't be? What i am saying is that I find the attitude that the person who is slapped should not be emotive in their response and should be calm and clear headed to be ridiculous and to go completely hand in hand with the general mindset that allows women to feel they can hit men with no reprisals.

As far as i am aware, verbal assault is a Section 1, shoving and spitting a Section 2. Shoving someone and them falling over and smashing their head off the ground leaving a big gash would be a section 3. Shoving someone and them hitting there head and dying would be a Section 5.

Also, as far as i am aware, the law on self defence covers any reply that is within the same section?

It's been a long time since anyone has shoved me, when it occurs now it's normally just them ending up pushing themselves away from me. If someone spat on me i would take them down in some semi pain restraint to keep them calm, call the cops and have the person taken away to be tested to ensure they had no diseases i should be worried about.

It's funny, there is something about the "as long as you get to strike back" line that has pissed me off somewhat. I am not saying I would have an emotive response to such an attack, i doubt i would. For me, the training would kick in and the situation would be dealt with in a way that ensures the minimal possible damage to all involved. I imagine the emotive part would come after, as it normally does.

I am saying the line that the victim needs to be more clear headed in this case than the attack, simply because the victim in this case is a man, is ****ing ridiculous at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ah feck. I had a reply there that would end all wars and lost it :pac:

Will have to field my responses another time

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Dragan wrote: »
    Did i say there couldn't be? What i am saying is that I find the attitude that the person who is slapped should not be emotive in their response and should be calm and clear headed to be ridiculous and to go completely hand in hand with the general mindset that allows women to feel they can hit men with no reprisals.

As far as i am aware, verbal assault is a Section 1, shoving and spitting a Section 2. Shoving someone and them falling over and smashing their head off the ground leaving a big gash would be a section 3. Shoving someone and them hitting there head and dying would be a Section 5.

Also, as far as i am aware, the law on self defence covers any reply that is within the same section?

I am saying the line that the victim needs to be more clear headed in this case than the attack, simply because the victim in this case is a man, is ****ing ridiculous at best.

The law's fairly flexible in these cases (In my understanding, obviously, don't quote me:)), the level of force to be used is 'reasonable in the circumstances' (s18(1) of the Non Fatal Offences against the person act), so it's not as simple as responding like with like. There's also consideration given to whether you had an opportunity to retreat, and if so, any violent response is less likely to be considered reasonable. (That's just an FYI)

I totally understand that you think the notion that a male victim has to be calmer in an attack is ridiculous. It's a sad state of affairs, and victimisation that should not be condoned. Women who take advantage of this flawed social norm are bullies, and will probably never be charged or convicted, because any witnesses will be unlikely to come forward. (Well, that's my guess anyway)

I would think there is a certain level of instinct and snap behaviour that is inevitable, and to judge a man at a higher standard in terms of protecting themselves after an assault is really a sad differentiation of the genders. I don't think Men and women have different levels of emotional control, and shouldn't be judged differently in the same circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

( The violence in this world scares me sometimes.)
    Especially when it's a random unprovoked attack on an innocent person, that sometimes leads to a murder and the assailants if caught ,show little or no remorse for their actions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

Violence has no place in a relationship.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    As i said, it's not that you don't "care", it's that you don't really think about it. If a woman slapped me she would be face down on the ground with her arm pinned behind her quicker than she could reel back for a second one.

I say this because i have been assaulted by women in the past, on several occassions, i am a large, physically trained and strong person with years of experience in dealing with this type of spanner like behaviour from all kinds of people and i have actually been trained in, and have actually applied, various restraint techniques.

If you are just some random guy....i don't know, i imagine the default reaction to being struck is to strike back?

You are lucky that you are professionally trained to think about how you react calmly. Unfortunatley most people aren't.

What I am trying to understand from this discussion is that if society and women see it as ok to hit once as an emotional response, then why must it be different for men.
    I am trying to guage if it there are other ways in which a person may hit that are not intended to do physical damage (such as the chastising a child as discussed earlier)

I know it's very shakey territory I am treading on here and I am sorry if I am causing offence to anyone who has suffered at the hands of domestic violence.
    It's funny, there is something about the "as long as you get to strike back" line that has pissed me off somewhat. I am not saying I would have an emotive response to such an attack, i doubt i would. For me, the training would kick in and the situation would be dealt with in a way that ensures the minimal possible damage to all involved. I imagine the emotive part would come after, as it normally does.

Sorry, I didn't mean to piss you off with that. What I meant was would you ever walk away, or do you think you would excacerbate the situation by responding?

I didn't say the male victim is expected to be clear headed if he gets a hit. I think both sexes who are victims would probably be better off in a situation to walk away. Again, if it's an attack where you have to defend yourself then it's no holds barred as far as the attacker is concerned. Fight as dirty as you possibly can to defend yourself but if it comes to a slap, walk away. Thats the distinction I am trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You are lucky that you are professionally trained to think about how you react calmly. Unfortunatley most people aren't.
    I'd be surprised if Dragon would disagree with this point: he was trained to "think about how you react calmly", he was trained to react by instinct. Most martial arts work that way.
    You seem to think that people stop and consider all their options after being struck. It simply doesn't happen that way - in fact, a truer argument might be that only the aggressor does this - considering whether or not to escalate the situation.
    What I am trying to understand from this discussion is that if society and women see it as ok to hit once as an emotional response, then why must it be different for men.
    But society doesn't see it as ok to hit as an emotional response. :confused:
    At least not "civilised" society.
    I am trying to guage if it there are other ways in which a person may hit that are not intended to do physical damage (such as the chastising a child as discussed earlier)
    The only way to hit another without intending to do physical damage, is to "hit on" someone! (The child argument isn't valid by the way as a lot of people don't believe this is acceptable - but thats another thread)
    Fight as dirty as you possibly can to defend yourself but if it comes to a slap, walk away. Thats the distinction I am trying to make.
    But what if that slapped resulted in a nail/ring being dragged across your eye blinding you? Do you walk away then??
    It's never acceptable.
    Ever.

Zulu wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Dragon would disagree with this point: he was trained to "think about how you react calmly", he was trained to react by instinct. Most martial arts work that way.
    You seem to think that people stop and consider all their options after being struck. It simply doesn't happen that way - in fact, a truer argument might be that only the aggressor does this - considering whether or not to escalate the situation.

I will get back to that point again...

This society seems not intent on reacting to the slap of a woman. At the moment it is my understandning of this because she hits out of losing control over emotion. Whereas if a man does the same to a woman it is much more than that and he must be taken down by other men or reported.
    (sorry, to clarify. The above views are not ones I hold personally, it is how I think society sees it by reacting to males and not to females)
    The only way to hit another without intending to do physical damage, is to "hit on" someone! (The child argument isn't valid by the way as a lot of people don't believe this is acceptable - but thats another thread)
    The child one and the slap are intended to do emotional damage rather than physical. Only it is a more obvious way of doing so.
    But what if that slapped resulted in a nail/ring being dragged across your eye blinding you? Do you walk away then??
    It's never acceptable.
    Ever.

Yes. Should you fight back with that person even though they didnt intend to hurt you? Is it the difference between manslaughter and murder? If you intended to kill the person or if it was an accident down to very bad choices made.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Yes. Should you fight back with that person even though they didnt intend to hurt you? Is it the difference between manslaughter and murder? If you intended to kill the person or if it was an accident down to very bad choices made.

If someone slaps you they intend to hurt you!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Zulu wrote: »
    This society seems not intent on reacting to the slap of a woman. At the moment it is my understandning of this because she hits out of losing control over emotion. Whereas if a man does the same to a woman it is much more than that and he must be taken down by other men or reported.

This is the contradiction that I don't get.

I just don't get why it's ok for a woman to hit out because "it's emotional".
    A couple having a row is going to be emotional, so why is it ok for a woman to use physical abuse?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    This is the contradiction that I don't get.

I just don't get why it's ok for a woman to hit out because "it's emotional".
    A couple having a row is going to be emotional, so why is it ok for a woman to use physical abuse?

Thats what I am trying to find out.

Do/would you react the same if you saw a woman slapping a man in public as you would seeing a man slap a woman? And if not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thats what I am trying to find out.

Do/would you react the same if you saw a woman slapping a man in public as you would seeing a man slap a woman? And if not, why not?

Suppose I'd think differently.

With the man, it would be of disgust.

With the woman, probably more what a b*tch!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

K-9 wrote: »
    Suppose I'd think differently.

With the man, it would be of disgust.

With the woman, probably more what a b*tch!

Arn't they both reactions of disgust?

Advertisement