Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing DIY - How to get rid of an air block

Options
  • 15-04-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not a plumber by any means but I was wondering if my method of getting rid of air blocks in the toilet plumbing is right/wrong or if I'm even likely to damage something.

I had no water coming to the loos but it was fine everywhere else so I turned off the water in the hotpress (marked cold-to-toilets), took the pipe off one of the toilets (furthest loo away from tank) and used a hoover to suck the trapped air out of the pipe until I got a lot of gurgling. Replaced the pipe, turned on the water at the hot press and ta dahh, water started filling up in the cisterns.

Is this the best way to do it or should I do something different next time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

A bit unorthodox but hey, it worked! I'd make sure that you were using a wet vac though. The traditional method would be to open the valve supplying the toilets in the hot press, and use a hose connected to the mains water supply at one end, and the cistern water pipe at the other end to push the air back up into the cold water storage tank in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Pete67 wrote: »
    A bit unorthodox but hey, it worked! I'd make sure that you were using a wet vac though. The traditional method would be to open the valve supplying the toilets in the hot press, and use a hose connected to the mains water supply at one end, and the cistern water pipe at the other end to push the air back up into the cold water storage tank in the attic.

Quite! Or you could get through several Hoovers before you cure the problem -- and you might even blow a few fuses in the process.:D

Advertisement