Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Signal - UCD

• 15-04-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just wanted to check, has anyone else had a problem with the three network in and around Fosters Avenue? I've had issues with a both of my three phones logging onto the 3g network, making and receiving calls and text since the start of march when the icons switched from 3g to H indicating some kind of infrastructural change on the network. The phone's work perfectly everywhere else.

Thanks in advance.
    Neil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

neilled wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wanted to check, has anyone else had a problem with the three network in and around Fosters Avenue? I've had issues with a both of my three phones logging onto the 3g network, making and receiving calls and text since the start of march when the icons switched from 3g to H indicating some kind of infrastructural change on the network. The phone's work perfectly everywhere else.

Thanks in advance.
    Neil

The H means you're now getting HSDPA, not a very major change really, just means it'll be faster if you're using a HSDPA enabled handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Adro947 wrote: »
    The H means you're now getting HSDPA, not a very major change really, just means it'll be faster if you're using a HSDPA enabled handset.

I'm actually aware of that, didn't want to put that up here because it may have put a few people off.

To clarify - three's handsets have always indicated 3g up until recently, more specifically the first week in march. Since then the HSDPA or H icon has appeared around dublin but not in other more rural places. This is fine, I work for a network parttime up north. The issue is that since the eve of the switch over, in one specific area both phones I have refuse to cooperate with a specific cell. you'll pick it up in UCD if your up towards the glenomena residences or if your around the fosters avenue area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This is a common problem with 3 for a long time. Have experienced in many areas and i know how frustrating it is. Its not perfect but doing a manual search for networks can help only temp. Also switching off 3g and use gsm will get you out of a hole. Customer care wont really help you with this much either. Ive been thru the hoops. You will have to take your battery out a lot, use different phones, everything. Move half a km away and perfect. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Davy wrote: »
    This is a common problem with 3 for a long time. Have experienced in many areas and i know how frustrating it is. Its not perfect but doing a manual search for networks can help only temp. Also switching off 3g and use gsm will get you out of a hole. Customer care wont really help you with this much either. Ive been thru the hoops. You will have to take your battery out a lot, use different phones, everything. Move half a km away and perfect. :rolleyes:

Its actually the first time i've experience this issue and i've been with them since 2006, and its restricted to this specific tower.

I've actually selected GSM only via my phone explorer which makes things bearable - however I have a three UK handset for using three like home and this issue makes it a pain in the nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Davy wrote: »

I would not go so far as to say this is a common issue with 3, all networks have their issues now and again. I have been with them since 2005 and have never encountered any issues with coverage. Just cause its 3 customer care asking you to turn off your phone does not mean it wont help (not to you op). There have infact been posters here suggesting to others here who are having problems with calls/texts to do this to 'refresh' the phone on the network, and if im not mistaken this has also been suggested as a course of action on the o2 forum from o2 staff to people posting there. Asking you to try a different phone is just to see if its a phone problem (as im sure you are aware), this has also been suggested on the o2 forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I take all your points. I wasn't comparing three to o2 or any other networks.

I was giving what i haven't experienced, and what others have posted over time on boards. The last two times i experienced it was outside the dublin, but in two big towns. One in particualer was in dundalk, and other 3 users had the same problem in the same area. Drive 2 mins away and all services were perfect.

Spent days on the phone with customer care to give them full chance to resolve the problem. It wasn't resolved, just lucky that i didnt have to be in that area any more. They kept insisting it was the phones i was trying rather than acknowledge it was a network problem.

Advertisement