Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Chartered Physiotherapist v Sports Therapists

Options
  • 15-04-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

The GAA have changed their insurance claims policy (as of January 2009) whereby they will only allow claims on player treatments when they are done by a Chartered Physiotherapist (and not Sports Therapists and Physical Therapists).

I’ve heard they there was some type of protest against this and am wondering has anyone got any more up to date information on this.

Note: I don’t want this thread to turn into Chartered Physiotherapist versus Sports Therapists/Physical Therapists.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

deeno1975 wrote: »
    The GAA have changed their insurance claims policy (as of January 2009) whereby they will only allow claims on player treatments when they are done by a Chartered Physiotherapist (and not Sports Therapists and Physical Therapists).

I’ve heard they there was some type of protest against this and am wondering has anyone got any more up to date information on this.

Note: I don’t want this thread to turn into Chartered Physiotherapist versus Sports Therapists/Physical Therapists.

Well i think its simply really, the Chartered Physiotherapist can get insurance and the others cannot, so if the Chartered Physiotherapist does something wrong the client/patient can sue and has redress, where as if something goes wrong with a sports therapist you will have to sue the GAA, and of course a Chartered Physiotherapist can make a diagnosis and refer you to other medical people, the sports therapist cannot

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Well i think its simply really, the Chartered Physiotherapist can get insurance and the others cannot, so if the Chartered Physiotherapist does something wrong the client/patient can sue and has redress, where as if something goes wrong with a sports therapist you will have to sue the GAA

Not correct, the Sports Therapist is covered by their own indemnity insurance and therefore client/patient can sue through that.

As I said I don't want this to turn into a Sports Therapist versus Chartered Physiotherapist, all I want to know if anybody knowns if this Insurance Claim Process has been changed or is being appealed against????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

deeno1975 wrote: »
    Not correct, the Sports Therapist is covered by their own indemnity insurance and therefore client/patient can sue through that.

As I said I don't want this to turn into a Sports Therapist versus Chartered Physiotherapist, all I want to know if anybody knowns if this Insurance Claim Process has been changed or is being appealed against????

I still think you are wroing on the isurance but we will agree to disagree

I do know that sports therapists cannot refer people to consultants etc, e.g Dr Ray Moran or Dr Pat O'Neil will not take a referal from a "sports therapist" but they will take referals from Chartered Physiotherapist

Of course a Chartered Physiotherapist has a more rounded Medical education and can idenitfy other issues other than sport injuries, e.g i know of a match in Carraick on Shannon where a player was complaining of pains in his arm before that match, siad he had the pain all night, the Chartered Physiotherapist twigged that it was some form of Heart Trouble and refused to let him play and called an Ambulance, sure enough he was having a mild heart attack (at 33 years of age........!!!!!!?????):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I've been referred to both Dr. Pat O'Neill and Dr. Gerry McEntee by a Sports Therapist.

The same Sports Therapist is the best Physio / Therapist I've come across, and is the Physio / Therapist to our senior intercounty team.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

The decision in January that only treatment given by Chartered Physiotherapists would be reimbursed by the GAA insurance was taken by the insurance sub committee in Croke Park in response to another underwriter taking over the GAA insurance scheme in a bid to reduce the number and cost of claims. This decision was sent out to all club secretaries through their county boards.

In response to the huge outcry by therapists allover the country this was then jointly reviewed by the insurance and medical committees in Croke Park. It was decided to amend the decision to 'Chartered Physiotherapist and other third level qualified therapists' (I don't have the exact wording to hand). Remember that there are a small number of other third level (level 8) professions who are similarly qualified in the areas of musculoskeletal & sports therapy. This is just an interim decision. The working group will be reviewing the decision on a profession by profession basis.

It is here that the confusion lies. While the January decision has been sent out and has eventually filtered down to the clubs the subsequent wording has not been sent out to on official headed notepaper as this decision is also subject to change. The relevant personnel will send out an email detailing this 'new' wording on request but it has yet to be changed on the insurance claim forms.

Hope this has answered some of your questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

Rogueish wrote: »

In response to the huge outcry by therapists allover the country this was then jointly reviewed by the insurance and medical committees in Croke Park. It was decided to amend the decision to 'Chartered Physiotherapist and other third level qualified therapists' (I don't have the exact wording to hand). Remember that there are a small number of other third level (level 8) professions who are similarly qualified in the areas of musculoskeletal & sports therapy. This is just an interim decision. The working group will be reviewing the decision on a profession by profession basis.

It is here that the confusion lies. While the January decision has been sent out and has eventually filtered down to the clubs the subsequent wording has not been sent out to on official headed notepaper as this decision is also subject to change. The relevant personnel will send out an email detailing this 'new' wording on request but it has yet to be changed on the insurance claim forms.

Excellent, thanks a million Rogueish that was the information I was looking for. Seems like the lovely hue of "grey" covers all aspects of GAA rules and regulations. Just wondering where did you get that information from and if possible could you let me know who/where to contact regarding it (feel free to PM if you so wish).

Thanks

Advertisement