Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

statement as proof of purchase?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm wondering will a laser statement do as proof of purchase?
    i bought a lap top last november for nearly 900 euro and I've recently realised that it's faulty. The part of the laptop that the charger goes into is faulty it basically pops out and obviously shouldn't.

Anyway I did keep my receipt I unfortunately just put it in such a safe place not even I can find it.. :o

I did however pay for it with my laser so I have a statement showing when and what shop I bought it in.

So off I went with my bank statement into the shop to get either replacement/refund/repair and was told that the statement will not do as proof of purchase as I could have bought it from any of there stores so tough!
    i'm wondering if theres anything I can do here as other wise I'm pretty much stuck with a 5 month old faulty laptop :(

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

A statement should be fine because from it they can look up the purchase on their system:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland
    Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)
    Maybe bring a print out of that page just in case they tell you it's not acceptable

I buy all high value items on my credit card for this reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless they're a shower of incompetent boobs, they should be able to use the laser card number to trace the sale on their computer. The card number, and date of the sale, is usually enough. Ask for the manager when you go back.

I take it this is a chain store, like PC World or Currys, in which case it shouldn't actually matter which store you bought it from. I've never had a problem bringing something back to a different store, though it is best to go to the right one. As I said, they can easily trace the sale and reprint the receipt if needs be.

Advertisement