Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra Vision

Options
  • 15-04-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was in Xtra vision today renting something and there was a fine on my account for a movie I've never rented. It appers someone was able to use my account without the card or any ID, all they did was give my name.
    I asked why this was allowed to happen and was told there are no restrictions and anyone can just give a name and rent.
    I feel disgusted about this. I don't want to go back to the company again. They can't just let anyone rent on any account can they? Is there anything I can do about it. They said they can put card holder only on the account but I don't trust the company any more, I don't like the fact it was allowed the happen in the first place.

While we are on the subject, anyone else fed up of paying €5.35 for a rental and getting the disc in a terrible box that is usually broken, the disc is never clipped in propery. They up the prices yet stick the customer with awful covers that scratch the discs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

I was in Xtra vision today renting something and there was a fine on my account for a movie I've never rented. It appers someone was able to use my account without the card or any ID, all they did was give my name.
    I asked why this was allowed to happen and was told there are no restrictions and anyone can just give a name and rent.
    I feel disgusted about this. I don't want to go back to the company again. They can't just let anyone rent on any account can they? Is there anything I can do about it. They said they can put card holder only on the account but I don't trust the company any more, I don't like the fact it was allowed the happen in the first place.

While we are on the subject, anyone else fed up of paying €5.35 for a rental and getting the disc in a terrible box that is usually broken, the disc is never clipped in propery. They up the prices yet stick the customer with awful covers that scratch the discs.

As far as I know thats not the way it works.. at least not in Rathmines..
    Every time I rent something I am always asked for the card. If I dont have it, I can show a document that shows the same name the account is in, and thats fine for Xtravision.
    No document, no rent tho. Which I think its fair and avoids the issue you have. I suggest you have a good long chat with either the manager of that specific store, or an Area Manager (if you can get hold of one).
    Alternatively, you could write a few lines and send them registered to be sure someone will actually read them.
    Also, yeah the prices are going up, the medias are treated like beer mats. I m trying to find an alternative but screenclick didnt really make things better.. :S

N

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

that's odd because i've often went in to get a dvd on my own account with anything and they never give it out

it seems the policy only matters when you oue them money...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Talk to the manager of the branch, state that you did not rent this and mark your account strictly cardholder only and wipe the fine this time only.

That should work in most cases, if not go somewhere else, you are the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dvd's from xtravision are usually filthy dirty covered in coke stains etc and can easily damage your equipment, and as for them letting others rent using your account try the data protection commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

this happens the whole time in my local xtra vision, no word of a lie, its like some conspiracy theory:eek: But no, I have often wondered why it happens so often. Ask for the manager to sort it out for you, but I wouldn't pay for it, it happens often enough so you're not alone on that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

A lot of people loose their cards an want to rent DVD's all the same, Best policy is to get the staff to put a Permenant Card/ID restriction on the account or a password, it takes a matter of 10 seconds to set it up and any time the account is opened their prompted to check for ID, doesn't get ya past the human error issue but it makes it harder.

I worked in Xtravision about 4 years ago, we'd get people setting these up all the time, was never an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I remember when they gave me out my card it was just a piece of paper, no plastic cover or anything. As you can guess the card didn't last very long!

Most of the time I dispute when they say I owe money. Sometimes I think staff are too lazy to check the quick return boxes and then they land you with a fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

johnciall wrote: »
    A lot of people loose their cards an want to rent DVD's all the same, Best policy is to get the staff to put a Permenant Card/ID restriction on the account or a password, it takes a matter of 10 seconds to set it up and any time the account is opened their prompted to check for ID, doesn't get ya past the human error issue but it makes it harder.

I worked in Xtravision about 4 years ago, we'd get people setting these up all the time, was never an issue

That shouldn't be necessary tbh. They should ask everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They should ask for the card always, that is sort of like a shop letting me just quote off some name & CC number, and then the CC company saying "we can put a hold on so that you have to use your pin if you are really going to get all moany about being robbed :rolleyes:"

The onus should be on THEM to protect themselves and the customer.
    anyone else fed up of paying €5.35
    I think people are mad to pay that, for twice the price you own the fecking thing! I remember on here and maybe still happening on adverts were people would flog off an entire collection at about €5 a dvd. This way it was sort of like bulk renting, after watching you could sell it on for the same price again.

The only reason I go to xtravision is to get call credit, I am always at the counter queueing and see people come in, quote their name and sometimes their address. I could easily memorise or even record a whole load of people doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

johnciall wrote: »
    A lot of people loose their cards an want to rent DVD's all the same

Yes but in my experience Xtravision staff will ask for proof of ID and then give you a new card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

we never get asked for the card in the branch we use,but mainly cos we know the people who work there:o but yeah,id be very annoyed by someone racking up fines in my name,isn't that fraud?any idea who it could be?

agreed about the state of some of the DVDs,they just don't look after them and they can really damage your machine:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Some years ago I became a customer of a video shop in the city near where I live.

I was given a card and a number (mine was 1234). I was supposed to produce the card each time I was taking out a video. In practice, customers needed only to quote their number - the card was never requested.

I hadn't been there for months and one evening I decided I'd rent a film. My wife was going out that night and it was my chance to see a good Western, a genre despised by Mrs Fnergg.

Anyhow, I opted for Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" - I had seen it before but it is a movie that bears repeated viewing as far as I'm concerned.

Up I went to the desk. The check-out guy punched the movie number into the computer and then asked me what my number was.

"1234"

He stared at the screen for a few seconds.

"According to this you have a film out".

"I don't think so. I haven't been here for a few months".

(Had I by some chance forgotton to bring a film back? Had it slipped down behind the sofa? What kind of enormous fine was I facing?)

There was a small queue behind me now.

"What's the name of the film?"

He looked closely at the screen.

"Talk Dirty To Me".

(Maybe I was imagining it but I thought he said it much louder then he needed to. And I think he smirked as well).

"God, no, I never had that film. Somebody must have used my number in error", I spluttered, turning various shades of crimson as I did so.

"OK so", he said and deleted the entry. Clearly, it was not an uncommon occurrence. All it took was to listen to a customer quote the number and then use it yourself on another occasion. The staff in this shop seemed to change every week so there was no question of knowing the customers.

I made my escape into the night with "Unforgiven" under my arm.

I dropped it through the letterbox the following morning and never went there again. Shortly afterwards it closed down.

I became an Extravision customer and from day one I insisted on my card being produced everytime I wanted a film. It is a practice I have never varied from and never will.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Well basically you just can't please everybody. So many customers never bring their cards and get really p!ssed off if they can't rent there and then. The account may be under one person in the family so even if they have ID,it might be under the wife's name or the son's name so the ID is not much good. Same with some parents who want their kids to be able to go down on their own and rent a dvd and again get p!ssed off with the staff for not renting the dvd to kids and complaining about how they had to come all the way down so the kids can rent a movie.

Then of course there is the opposite,people who don't want anyone to rent on their account without the card or ID,so they request it on the account. it depends on the store but where I used to work,the person was asked whether they wanted the account card/Id only or not. Those that request it will avoid situations like the OP mention. Of course that does not stop them from b!tching if they do forget their card/ID and want to rent.

As for the cases and discs,well again this would be the customer not taking care of them. They are the ones that break or damage them.New cases are generally used up with the arrival of new rentals each week,there are not enough to replace every single broken case,especially considering people jsut keep breaking the cases over and over. It is also impossible to check every single disc for damage due to the sheer volume of them.

I agree that they could have a better system in place for use of accounts but the customer needs to take part responsibility for the discs/cases.

Advertisement