Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation near DCU

Options
  • 15-04-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi me and my friend are both hoping to head to DCU in September, and we were just wondering about accomodation near the college, we'd rather live in a house than on campus. Can anybody help? I'm a gal and he's a lad, we're both fun and friendly:rolleyes: Would love accom a few mins walk from the college? Please reply:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I got a house in my first year in the Shanowen estate which is just across the road from DCU, id recommend going onto sites like www.daft.ie and looking for a house in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The sticky at the top of the forum lists some of the accommodation around DCU. That, combined with daft.ie should sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cii

Thanks lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭dizzyniki

since you already have a person to share with i would strongly advise you to move into a house where you don't mind sharing with a few others as you will more than likely have a landlord who will not mind dealing with issues which require attention...... I would suggest student accommodation off campus as a last resort as you can never be too careful what kind of lunatics or pigs who you may end up living with!!!!!

I moved into off campus accomodation near DCU...dunno if i can name any names but if I can I will.......I was moved into an apartment with two complete strangers who were also slobs........ i actually couldn't bear living in the apartment any longer and asked to move out, but was told that I would have to pay the second semesters rent also until they found someone to move in. i decided to stay and was offered a new apartment for the second semester. I came back in February, another semesters rent paid upfront and could not get in contact with anyone in the office to tell em if I could move i to a new apartment or not! I ended up staying in the same one, which was dirtier than ever. However since February I have only stayed there a total of four times. It's awful. Worse still I came back to the apartment after three weeks of not being there to find that it had undergone an inspection and it had failed, was labelled filthy and disgusting!!! I was outraged....had to pay a fine of €150 for contract cleaners and the other two would only pay their cut...... i complained but to no avail, they wouldn't accept any excuses so I had to pay €50 or else my deposit of €800 would be forfeited.

Is this illegal, I wonder?????

I told them that as I was finished in may that would have my room cleaned and hand them back the key so that I would no longer be held responsible for the apartment but they warned me that if when the other two handed back their keys and the aprtment was in need of attention i wouls still be billed.

This apartment has 24 hour security that does not answer their phone in the case of an emergency and I have had two of my windows broken since my stay there last october. I paid rent for oct08 to june 09. I only lived there from october on, had 7and a half weeks hols at christmas and won't live there for the whole month of may and june!!!!! You need to be so careful as you may end up being contracted for 40 weeks and you mightnt even need that many and there is no way out.....

I would love to know does anyone know that what has been done to me is illegal as there is nothing in the contract that states that contract cleaners will be brought in in the middle of the year. i know the place was dirty but it had been cleaned since and there was definitely no need for contract cleaners when they were brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Ive got a house im leaving in June, its pretty good.

• Advertisement

Oh really can i have more info where abouts is it?how many rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Theres seven rooms, on shanowen avenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

Fuhrer - would that be the one on the right just past the turnoff to Shanowen spar(keep going towards Mizzonis)?

Oh right cool have you any more info?whats the rent like?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

cii wrote: »
    Hi me and my friend are both hoping to head to DCU in September, and we were just wondering about accomodation near the college, we'd rather live in a house than on campus. Can anybody help? I'm a gal and he's a lad, we're both fun and friendly:rolleyes: Would love accom a few mins walk from the college? Please reply:p

might I ask why don't you want to live on campus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Paddy-Megans-Lo

Well I would definitely suggest off-campus accom for next year. Not only because of the current economic climate, the housing pool is full of rentals and at this stage housing prices have fallen 13% (-ish, i might be wrong on that?) in the past few years.. but because Campus Res have still not commented on whether they are going to pass on this saving to on-campus residents next year?!
    Wouldn't surprise me if they increased their prices!

To be honest, on campus accom is overpriced as it is anyway! And with the amount of fines and rules and regulations you have to go through it doesn't feel like you are living independantly whatsoever or saving any amount of money (being in so called 'student accomodation').
    For example, 5euro fee everytime you want to have a guest stay over?? So that 5euro is to pay for them to type a name onto a piece of paper and print it out? Also I have heard numerous stories (probably rumours but hey..) about ludicrous fines being issued left right and centre so that they can make as much profit as possible.

I have only lived on campus since February of this year and I already know for definite I will not be living on-campus again..

For off campus, I know of a few houses along Collins Ave that rent out to students but I'm sure that varies year to year, maybe try finding people living in places like that right now and maybe contact the owners and enquire/reserve a place in october?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

For off campus, I know of a few houses along Collins Ave that rent out to students but I'm sure that varies year to year, maybe try finding people living in places like that right now and maybe contact the owners and enquire/reserve a place in october?

I don't know anyone who's lived off campus near Dcu..Didnt get on campus this year....Is there a site to get in contact with the owners of house's nearby, or is the only way you find out by word of mouth? I would really appreciate any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

daft.ie

I'm not sure if Daft letters would be advertising their places off-campus, near DCU yet though.. I'd suggest having a look when college ends and definitely come August-ish time, although you never know.

Word of mouth is probably the way to go. Find people living near DCU in houses and stuff and get in touch with their landlord and see if you can book a place for October?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

dizzyniki wrote: »
    since you already have a person to share with i would strongly advise you to move into a house where you don't mind sharing with a few others as you will more than likely have a landlord who will not mind dealing with issues which require attention...... I would suggest student accommodation off campus as a last resort as you can never be too careful what kind of lunatics or pigs who you may end up living with!!!!!

I moved into off campus accomodation near DCU...dunno if i can name any names but if I can I will.......I was moved into an apartment with two complete strangers who were also slobs........ i actually couldn't bear living in the apartment any longer and asked to move out, but was told that I would have to pay the second semesters rent also until they found someone to move in. i decided to stay and was offered a new apartment for the second semester. I came back in February, another semesters rent paid upfront and could not get in contact with anyone in the office to tell em if I could move i to a new apartment or not! I ended up staying in the same one, which was dirtier than ever. However since February I have only stayed there a total of four times. It's awful. Worse still I came back to the apartment after three weeks of not being there to find that it had undergone an inspection and it had failed, was labelled filthy and disgusting!!! I was outraged....had to pay a fine of €150 for contract cleaners and the other two would only pay their cut...... i complained but to no avail, they wouldn't accept any excuses so I had to pay €50 or else my deposit of €800 would be forfeited.

Is this illegal, I wonder?????

I told them that as I was finished in may that would have my room cleaned and hand them back the key so that I would no longer be held responsible for the apartment but they warned me that if when the other two handed back their keys and the aprtment was in need of attention i wouls still be billed.

This apartment has 24 hour security that does not answer their phone in the case of an emergency and I have had two of my windows broken since my stay there last october. I paid rent for oct08 to june 09. I only lived there from october on, had 7and a half weeks hols at christmas and won't live there for the whole month of may and june!!!!! You need to be so careful as you may end up being contracted for 40 weeks and you mightnt even need that many and there is no way out.....

I would love to know does anyone know that what has been done to me is illegal as there is nothing in the contract that states that contract cleaners will be brought in in the middle of the year. i know the place was dirty but it had been cleaned since and there was definitely no need for contract cleaners when they were brought in.

I'm guessing this is a place in ballymun, really, really close to the garda station. If so, its an overpriced shambles of a place, I'm living there this year and definitely wont be back. I would urge anybody thinking of living here next year, to just not!

Nanaki wrote: »
    might I ask why don't you want to live on campus?

we just feel we'd have better craic living on our own and completley taking care of ourselves without any rules about people staying over or anything like that..

we just feel we'd have better craic living on our own and completley taking care of ourselves without any rules about people staying over or anything like that..

Thats the same reason i don't wanna live on campus next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭silverwater

Are you undergraduate or postgraduate?
    If undergraduate I would advise that you consider campus. It's great for getting to know the place and making new friends.
    I lived in Larkfield in first year and wouldn't have changed it, although I could never go back to campus for second year.
    If postgraduate I would advise that you consider Shanowen Square (not Hall) or check daft.ie for houses around Santry, Drumcondra, Whitehall, Glasnevin...

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Fair point.
    I'd still say to anyone, for their first year in any college, live on campus. It makes it so much easier to get to know people.
    Also, I can't understand people not wanting to live on campus solely because it's awkward to have someone stay over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Trev and Krissi

Hi We currently have 2(twin and Double) rooms available for the colledge months we are 10 min walking distance to DCU. Our home is a family home with a difference...Broadband, SKY TV, Pool table, large deck area and BBQ.
    Trev

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

Hi We currently have 2(twin and Double) rooms available for the colledge months we are 10 min walking distance to DCU. Our home is a family home with a difference...Broadband, SKY TV, Pool table, large deck area and BBQ.
    Trev

Are we allowed to cook our own food :D

*shadow* wrote: »
    Are we allowed to cook our own food :D
    No but breakfast,dinner are included in the price we currently have international students. we are a very relaxed home im Irish and my wife is Australian..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sarahmc09

Heya Trev. whereabouts is the house situated??
    and how much would rent be?..
    -sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

No but breakfast,dinner are included in the price we currently have international students. we are a very relaxed home im Irish and my wife is Australian..

Sounds like someone is talking the proverbial...

sarahmc09 wrote: »
    Heya Trev. whereabouts is the house situated??
    and how much would rent be?..
    -sarah

Hi Sarah
    Sorry for not replying sooner we were away on holidays were in Celtic park ave off collins ave..E550 for double E450 each sharing the twin breakfast is cereal and fruit and dinner is the same as we cook for ourselves. If you would like to meet us and see our Home my no is 086 8609780.
    Trev

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

I think off campus is the way to go. Also worth checking out www.gumtree.ie Your right to be thinking ahead, but it's probably a bit too early to be looking now (unless you want to move up for the summer before you start). If your pretty confident about getting your places, it would be nice to start looking a week or two before the first round of cao offers.

I love DCU its a great place to go to college. Most of the surrounding areas are nice to live in too, but there are one or two pretty dangerous estates that have student accommodation too. I recommend you get feedback (on boards.ie) about a particular area before comitting to signing a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dee21

Go to www.findahome.ie you'll find something suitable there nt doubt. Rent should be much less than it was last year and you really should head into DCU and check out the notice boards in the hub theres always loads of housing ads on them locally, the closer you live to DCU the more expensive it will be though. I live a 20 min walk from DCU or 4mins on the bus (ive timed it!) and my rent is a good €100 less than my friends who live across the road from campus so that might be worth keeping in mind - a bit of distance could be good for the brain too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Dee21 wrote: »
    Go to www.findahome.ie you'll find something suitable there nt doubt. Rent should be much less than it was last year and you really should head into DCU and check out the notice boards in the hub theres always loads of housing ads on them locally, the closer you live to DCU the more expensive it will be though. I live a 20 min walk from DCU or 4mins on the bus (ive timed it!) and my rent is a good €100 less than my friends who live across the road from campus so that might be worth keeping in mind - a bit of distance could be good for the brain too!!!

Is there some kind of password needed for findahome or is the site just broken right now? If you choose DCU and say find it it starts complaining and asking for a password. Or is there anything worth seeing in that section? Maybe just use the standard lettings search...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

Is there no way of living on campus if you don'e apply before the CAO deadline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Nanaki wrote: »
    Fair point.
    I'd still say to anyone, for their first year in any college, live on campus. It makes it so much easier to get to know people.
    Also, I can't understand people not wanting to live on campus solely because it's awkward to have someone stay over
    I concur here, in my brief spell in dcu it was a pain in the ass living off campus, plus theres mighty craic around campus and in some cases theres less rules(my landlady was CRAZY)

Advertisement