Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Think FF will lose the Next Election

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

. they could still be in power in 2 months time when the next GE is held;)
    You think this could happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

This post has been deleted.
    Also meaning the selling off of public utilities and inevitable price increases as they're asset-stripped by foreign vultures.

I can see such a party being backed by the neocon hawks at IN&M. Tony & co are itching for a bit of privitisation action. It's been a while since they feasted on Eircom.

Such a party would definitely be antagonising a million people and their relatives, but they might pick up some votes from former PDs and people who think the Indo is a good newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Just as well FF won the last election because if they hadn't, all this recession would have been blamed on the incoming government and FF would have gone off into the sunset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Who wins the next election is irrelevant.

The banks are running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Just as well FF won the last election because if they hadn't, all this recession would have been blamed on the incoming government and FF would have gone off into the sunset.

If anyone needed proof of that, the way the Greens are being blamed for the last 12 years of FF/PD government neatly demonstrates it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Oh God yes they will. Nothing like a vengeful populace after what has happened to this country. However, what in the name of holy Jaysus is there to replace them? People get the politicians, and the governments, that they deserve and remember . . . WE voted this shower in last time !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Isn't it ironic that the government are finally making proper decisions that should have been done except for the rent-a-mob that are baying for an election now would have objected to a few years ago. Ingenious to make public servants pay for their own pension - when the good times come back - they'll still have to pay it! That's worth voting them back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Isn't it ironic that the government are finally making proper decisions that should have been done except for the rent-a-mob that are baying for an election now would have objected to a few years ago. Ingenious to make public servants pay for their own pension - when the good times come back - they'll still have to pay it! That's worth voting them back in again.

It took them how long in power exactly to come up with that? Years?

THATS a good reason not to vote them back in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Ingenious to make public servants pay for their own pension
    Ingenious to convince the public that that's how the money would be spent. (BTW they raided the NPRF at the same time, that was your social welfare pension money...also given to the banks.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

A FF/labour is a possiblity, unlikely but possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

garbanzo wrote: »
    Oh God yes they will. Nothing like a vengeful populace after what has happened to this country

It wont be long until people forget :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What makes you think Labour wouldn't go into coalition with FF? I wouldn't put it past them.

This time out there was an option and they chose not to countenance it. The drop of over 50% in their seats between 1992 and 1997 is reminder enough. Can't see them embracing another bout of political suicide. There's an angry, pretty irrational electorate out there and Gilmore is tapping into the eh "leftwing" enthusiasm better than anyone else. He's also an old DL and would rather opposition. That said, they could entertain the notion but would make any deal so unpalatable that even a diminished FF party wouldn't go near it.

Unless we bounce back at 12% growth a year FF will go into opposition and they would be wise to do so. Many of FF's newbies will come under pressure and some of the oldies may also be put out to pasture. The Greens will drop, at worst to 2, although more likely to be 3-4 seats. FG will get at least 1 of the old "PD" seats. So even if FF only drop a very conservative 10 seats that is likely to be a nett Govt loss of 16-18 seats(assuming they lose the by-elections and those seats are retained), more than enough to set up a FG/Labour coalition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

some people are just idealogically opposed to selling of inneficent state companies to so called money orientated capitalists

the reality as shown by the recent cries of disent from teachers unions etc is that public or private , its all about money at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

At least they are our own vultures I suppose :D

I think there is an obvious reason for that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

On current form FF would be obliterated, and put into opposition for at least a generation.

Since current form won't happen in a GE I can see a result something like:

FG- 32% 57-65 seats
    FF- 32% 55-62
    Labour- 17% 28-35
    SF- 8% 4-8
    Greens- 4% 1-5
    Inds- 7% 5-8

FF I think would get less than FG because it's so transfer repellent at the minute -and I'm assuming they have good campaign management otherwise they'd still be slaughtered on this percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I know there all useless but I hope they lose

here's hoping!!

Bloody useless shower :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cronus333 wrote: »
    On current form FF would be obliterated, and put into opposition for at least a generation.

Since current form won't happen in a GE I can see a result something like:

FG- 32% 57-65 seats
    FF- 32% 55-62
    Labour- 17% 28-35
    SF- 8% 4-8
    Greens- 4% 1-5
    Inds- 7% 5-8

FF I think would get less than FG because it's so transfer repellent at the minute -and I'm assuming they have good campaign management otherwise they'd still be slaughtered on this percentage.

I'd certainly go with a worst case scenario. For example they are likely to lose 2 seats with Bertie's departure and Brady couldn't get elected in a one man race. Then you have Louth going to a five seater and FF could possibly end up with 1 TD, giving a possible non-FF gain of 4-5 seats in just two constituencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ingenious to convince the public that that's how the money would be spent. (BTW they raided the NPRF at the same time, that was your social welfare pension money...also given to the banks.)

But depending on how they manage that, it could actually end up making a profit out of the NPRF. Say for example they treated it the money as a thirty year mortgage on all the currently dodgy property then it's actually likely in that time span that it could turn out as a nice investment.

I think it's more frightening that people will vote for anyone else other than FF simply to express their anger. FG have said that the public service needs reform but have not stated what that means, so as far as I can see, FF are the only party actually doing something any way productive. If FG or Lab came out with a concrete policy to address the public service and Welfare spending then I'd vote for them in a shot but all we hear is political point scoring.

As the old saying goes - at this stage there is no point crying over spilt milk - it's who is going to clean up the spill that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

But depending on how they manage that, it could actually end up making a profit out of the NPRF. Say for example they treated it the money as a thirty year mortgage on all the currently dodgy property then it's actually likely in that time span that it could turn out as a nice investment.

I think it's more frightening that people will vote for anyone else other than FF simply to express their anger. FG have said that the public service needs reform but have not stated what that means, so as far as I can see, FF are the only party actually doing something any way productive. If FG or Lab came out with a concrete policy to address the public service and Welfare spending then I'd vote for them in a shot but all we hear is political point scoring.

As the old saying goes - at this stage there is no point crying over spilt milk - it's who is going to clean up the spill that matters.

Do you really think the people who got us into this mess are the most appropriate people to get us out of it?

And if we are going to quote cliches as an arguement, how about this - if you are doing something that is not working, try something different.

The opposition have been suggesting policy ideas, Brian Lenihan admitted as much in the budget.

In response to the OP, I don't think FF will lose the next election, I still think they will find a way to get in. I think there are too many people in this country who will vote for them no matter what.

• Advertisement
Advertisement