Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

terry pratchett

Options
  • 15-04-2009 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

hi are terry pratchett books good???
    and whats his newest book??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Caboose

Acquired taste but overall very enjoyable.

I have been a Pratchett fan since the Colour of Magic all those years ago and used eagerly annoy my local bookstore with requests of "so when is it out huh huh huh huh???" before the interweb opened before my very eyes.

If you want to get into Pratchett then stick to the Discworld series. This spans 27 or so novels. The greatest thing about this series is that it has recurring characters throughout. This is why you would see the Watch trilogy, the Witches and Rincewind categorised in some stores.

If you want to start do not start with the latest one, Making Money (which follows on from Going Postal). I find myself always recommending Guards Guards to new readers. Now that they are in trilogy form as well, the Watch trilogy is a handy starter pack. If you like them then just pick up the Colour of Magic and get lost in the whackiness that is the Discworld.

Sadly Mr Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimers so enjoy them while they are still been written.

Vimes FTW

G

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

alright thanks.
    i think il start reading them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

He's definitely like marmite, some of my friends are in love with his work, others can't stand it. My favourite thing about his stories is the way he incorporates humour so well into his fantasy lands, Rincewind is the perfect example of this. You won't find any Shakespearean tragic heroes here.. :pac:

Good Omens was the first book I ever read by Pratchett, and is still probably my favourite of his works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

His latest book is 'Nation'
    not a Discworld novel but a very good read

i *heart* him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

I love pratchett's work especially the more recent watch books Thud Night watch are both superb. Moving pictures is probably my least favourite the main two characters just aren't funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

agreed that should stick with the Discworld series.

The "Vimes" books involving the watch are my favourite : Guards Guards, The Night Watch etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Pratchett's DiscWorld stuff is great. There are a couple of dodgy books but most are laugh out loud hilarious.

I think the best one is Guards Guards. Don't start with that one though. It will probably be funnier if you read some of the earlier ones first and work through the serious to follow the characters "growth".

I envy you having the whole lot to tackle from the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I enjoyed some of the Discworld novels, but to be honest, I generally find Pratchett to be a little overrated. Sorry.:rolleyes:

I read the color of magic and i thouht it was pretty good so im half way through the light fantastic and i really like it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with a good sense of humor and there funny books. thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Ankh Morpork, Ankh Morpork, so good they named it...Ankh Morpork! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

the wintersmith is good but the reaper man is better all together cery hilarious,,

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I found the early books hilarious but have trouble getting into the later ones - are they slightly inferior, or maybe it's just because I've not read any for so long that I'm not in the right frame of mind for Discworld?

Maybe I need to start again?

i think these books are brilliant. i would recommend anyone to read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ScribesQuill

Livvie wrote: »
    I found the early books hilarious but have trouble getting into the later ones - are they slightly inferior, or maybe it's just because I've not read any for so long that I'm not in the right frame of mind for Discworld?

Maybe I need to start again?
    I love the latest books, the Moist von Lipwig character and some of the latest developments in Ankh Morpork are in my view essential to the development of a series that was beginning to get a little stale with over-reliance on the same set of characters. For me, Ankh Morpork has always been about the breadth of characters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

i started reading the Discworld books in the order they were written. I'm up to Moving Pictures now and so far have loved every single story. The recurring characters are something I always enjoy even if they only make the slighest appearance. And who doesn't love Death? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Are Pratchett and Tolkien in any way comparable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, don't be silly

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Terry Pratchett is amazing. I take my hat off to anyone who can invent a whole universe and such an engaging slew of characters and...to top it off...make it funny. First ever book of his I read was Small Gods.Loved it. Since then, I've read them all. Fave characters are Death and Vimes. :)

Jen ;->

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But on a brighter note,
    I really love the Discworld books, I too, have read them since Colour of Magic and each one has been a brief but fantastic escape from the real world.
    I have to say though, I wasn't a fan at all of the Witches books, don't quite know why, but there you go.

I have noticed, too, a swing towards satire in his output over the last couple of years, up to then the books were more of a parody of myth and history, the likes of Small Gods and Men at Arms as good examples, but Going Postal, Making Money, Monstrous Regiment, these all are more satire squarely aimed at our world and time, albeit using the devices at the disposal of the Discworld folk.

Overall, the Discworld book are fantastic, few who read them regret it, although for some the reason they don't read them is because they "don't like that sort of thing" rather than that they read them and didn't like them.

Roll on Unseen Academicals!

ye brilliant books. ive got two of my friends hooked ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I love his Discworld books, but I also love the Dark Side of the Sun - I don't think anyone else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I love his Discworld books, but I also love the Dark Side of the Sun - I don't think anyone else does.

I haven't even read it.

If I'm honest, while I love all his stuff, I've never warmed to the witches, Rincewind's the same whereas I love the Watch books and Moist's. I mean, I enjoy them all, but some more than others to a big degree.

Just finished reading mort. it wasnt as good as the other books but was still good
    u gotta love death!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

lil man: Thanks for starting the thread.

The Discworld novels have been with me now for 18 years. The first book I bought was Reaper man when I was 11. I loved the humour and the characters and I was hooked straight away.

His books do seem hit and miss with people but as somebody said, the people who don't seem to like them haven't actually read them, they just look at the covers and decide that's it's not there thing!

thats what i was like at the start but after i read the first book i tought they were brilliant

Does anyone know where you can get these books cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Chapters were running a buy one get one half price promotion on Discworld books a week or 2 ago. Fraid I don't know if it's still on.

Love Terry Pratchett's books, his humour is razor sharp and the way he translates the modern world into the Discworld is brilliant. Have every one of his books and got my signed copy of The Colour of Magic last week.

The Watch series is by far my favourite although The Night Watch was quite dark in comparison to the others. Best recommendation is to start at the beginning so you get all the later references as despite the stand alone groupings there are cross references between the various books. It's also enjoyable seeing how the Discworld and characters develop from the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Curnacrieve

Hi there,

you can get the books on e-bay in bulk, but as usual watch out for the postage. Tesco's often have a good selection at very discounted prices. Finally try the library, especially for the older ones. I don't like Sci-Fi as a rule but Terry Prattchett is my favourite author.

Hope that is of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

dogbert27 wrote: »
    lil man: Thanks for starting the thread.

The Discworld novels have been with me now for 18 years. The first book I bought was Reaper man when I was 11. I loved the humour and the characters and I was hooked straight away.

His books do seem hit and miss with people but as somebody said, the people who don't seem to like them haven't actually read them, they just look at the covers and decide that's it's not there thing!

I too read Reaper Man first, then went back to the start and was totally hooked. Bought the vast majority of mine in Chapter's in Dublin (was living there at the time) Eason's often do good value on them too.

It took me a while to get into the science of discworld but I persevered and found them enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

i for one would love to see the unpublished song lyrics of Nanny Oggs "A Wizards staff has a knob on the end"

Advertisement