Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Arsenal Pub in Limerick to watch soccer tonight?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi Guys and Gals, just wondering is there any pro-Arsenal pub to watch the CL in tonight. I heard some time ago that Willie Sextons on Henry St. is one, does anyone know about this? and any other gunners pub? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sure why not try The Stillhouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Kennedy O'Briens is where the Limerick Arsenal Supporters club watch all the arsenal matches, so that place might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

YFlyer wrote: »
    Sure why not try The Stillhouse

liverpool pub

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Thanks for that! I know Kennedy O'Briens pretty well but haven't been in in years. BTW where is the stillhouse?

Ah right! knew I might be open to some bustling!! Ha!

• Advertisement

Paulegend wrote: »
    liverpool pub

And don't forget Spurs as well...........

brousuka wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I know Kennedy O'Briens pretty well but haven't been in in years. BTW where is the stillhouse?

Around the corner from Brown Thomas. Down from Aubers in Thomas Street.

And don't forget Spurs as well...........

Ah Ja$us! can't be goin there then!

There might be a few gunners in Halpins on the Dublin Road.

There might be a few gunners in Halpins on the Dublin Road.

Bit too far out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Go to the still house, you'll always get a mix of supporters in there. It's mainly Liverpool tho.

Kennedy O'Briens is where the Limerick Arsenal Supporters club watch all the arsenal matches, so that place might be worth a look.

Thanks lads, if the supporters club meet here this looks like the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Do we really have pubs in the city that align themselves with English soccer teams? I really dont believe this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I thought the Arsenal supporters watched the games in The Spotted Dog in Janesboro ? ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Do we really have pubs in the city that align themselves with English soccer teams? I really dont believe this

Romatic Ireland's dead and gone, Bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Dont like "foreign sports" no?

I guess pubs have to align themselves to anything that sells beer nowadays. The brightly coloured, nylon-shirted brigade is a valuable market.

Dont like "foreign sports" no?

I watch the premiership and the Champions League. I cant find anything to bond myself to some team from England strongly though. I knew young men of Limerick wore the replica tops and screamed at Sky Sports in many of the pubs in Limerick. They often sing songs/chants that they copy from our brethren across the sea. I have heard them berate "Scousers" and "Mancs". I didnt honestly realise we have gotten to the point of aligning certain pubs with teams from areas of England

Would it not be better to support our own Limerick team. If they received half the money spent on premiership jerseys in the city, what kind of a team would they have

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

i think people can do wharever they want if doing no harm

betonit wrote: »
    i think people can do wharever they want if doing no harm

Obviously they can do what they like but it does make me a little sad that we dont support our own. Do we feel good by trying to align ourselves with these teams.

I would find it hard to revel in the glory of a team from London, Newcastle or Rome winning a trophy in the same manner I would Munster or Limerick hurling (although this isnt going to happen for a while).

Can anyone tell me why a win from a team in Liverpool can send many young men of Limerick into absolute ecstasy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Paulegend wrote: »
    liverpool pub
    The still house is every supporters pub. as most pubs are anyway. I don't think there is any official club supporters pub in Limerick. would be sad if there was. anyway Arsenal were brilliant last night and utd are going to play usless again. only this time they won't win by playing useless as usual. they'll just get trashed. :) haha

I know its mad. I'm a massive soccer fan and support arsenal all the way but the thought of a pub assigned to an English soccer club in Ireland is just weird and sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Obviously they can do what they like but it does make me a little sad that we dont support our own. Do we feel good by trying to align ourselves with these teams.

I would find it hard to revel in the glory of a team from London, Newcastle or Rome winning a trophy in the same manner I would Munster or Limerick hurling (although this isnt going to happen for a while).

Can anyone tell me why a win from a team in Liverpool can send many young men of Limerick into absolute ecstasy

We had this in another thread.....not EVERYBODY in Limerick follows rugby and the GAA you know (me included), and the reason why someone from Limerick would be delighted with a win by Liverpool, or United in my case, is because their is a connection there that goes back to the 60s/70s (long before the Munster bandwagon rolled into town ;)), Irish internationals have played with these clubs to make a living because there was no money here, and soccer fans could identify with this....the having to leave and make a living overseas. And its not like we are supporting teams for Azerbaijan! Its only over the water dont forget...

And this week of all weeks shows that 'link', with the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, just look at our soccer forum to see how many people have memories of that awful day.

It really wrecks my head but theres an attitude out there that Limerick people should only follow the rugby team and the GAA and following a soccer team is 'silly'. Each to their own. Rant over :)

We had this in another thread.....not EVERYBODY in Limerick follows rugby and the GAA you know (me included), and the reason why someone from Limerick would be delighted with a win by Liverpool, or United in my case, is because their is a connection there that goes back to the 60s/70s (long before the Munster bandwagon rolled into town ;)), Irish internationals have played with these clubs to make a living because there was no money here, and soccer fans could identify with this....the having to leave and make a living overseas. And its not like we are supporting teams for Azerbaijan! Its only over the water dont forget...

And this week of all weeks shows that 'link', with the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, just look at our soccer forum to see how many people have memories of that awful day.

It really wrecks my head but theres an attitude out there that Limerick people should only follow the rugby team and the GAA and following a soccer team is 'silly'. Each to their own. Rant over :)

I don't think anyone's saying you shouldn't, I just don't see why anyone would.

I went to school with the guys on the Munster and AIL teams, and with the guys on the Limerick team. I just couldn't dream up a connection with a city in England, Spain, Germany or Italy for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

TheLoc wrote: »
    I know its mad. I'm a massive soccer fan and support arsenal all the way but the thought of a pub assigned to an English soccer club in Ireland is just weird and sad.

A lot of the time it is due to the owner being a fan of said team . I know the Still House was a leeds supporters pub for a while because the owner was a leeds supporter .
    I just couldn't dream up a connection with a city in England, Spain, Germany or Italy for no reason.

It isn't for no reason , if you like football you sit down and watch it on TV , it is more exciting if you are cheering for one team over another , as with any sport , it is more exciting again if you cheer for one team over a particular tournament . Eventually you see something you like in one team over another and follow their fortunes . Then you have kids and they hear and see you doing this and take up the mantle . And it is not a city that people are supporting , it is a team .

I don't think kennedy o'briens or any other pub has aligned themselves with any team. I think what happened is the Limerick branches of the supporters club of the various teams (Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United etc.) just pick certain pubs to gather in for the big matches. The publicans aren't going to turn away the business.
    Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea aren't really English teams anymore anway. How many English players played for those 4 teams over the last two nights? Not very many by my count. All their managers are European too (apart from the whiskey-guzzling one). So they are really European teams who happened to be based in England. Lots of the fans at those matches probably travelled from all over Europe and the world to be at those matches too. We live in a globalised world now.

Na man I love football. Rugby is class too. I just support the whole lot except GAA. I on the other hand went to school in nessans with plenty of GAA heads and I couldn't stand the sight of them. they just remind me of clown from UL. students jumpin around callin everyone mush and drinkin guiness not because its nice, just because they are proud to be irish. I just love the sport. the skill and speed of football is amazin. like arsenal last night, or that goal from ronaldo even though I hate the pussy. Munster rugby is good too and the matches are always amazin. but everyone can support whoever they want. Arsenal is more of an international team anyway. not much english there. in london they're known as the frenchies haha.

jonski wrote: »

It isn't for no reason , if you like football you sit down and watch it on TV , it is more exciting if you are cheering for one team over another , as with any sport , it is more exciting again if you cheer for one team over a particular tournament . Eventually you see something you like in one team over another and follow their fortunes . Then you have kids and they hear and see you doing this and take up the mantle . And it is not a city that people are supporting , it is a team .

Perhaps, maybe it's just because I don't rate the product that I can't understand the obsession.

I think some are missing the point. I love watching the premiership and CL. I love to watch soccer actually but I dont get how someone from Limerick aligns themselves with an English club. Limerick FC are the only team I could get in any way animated about if they won a trophy.

• Advertisement

I think some are missing the point. I love watching the premiership and CL. I love to watch soccer actually but I dont get how someone from Limerick aligns themselves with an English club. Limerick FC are the only team I could get in any way animated about if they won a trophy.

Another point is that if all of the premiership wearing Limerick men spent the same amount of money supporting the local team there would be a better product. This goes for the whole country. You would surely take better pleasure in seeing Limerick with an Irish soccer league than Manchester, chelsea winning an English league

Advertisement