Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Li-Po charging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I'd imagine you charge them until the lights go out, but keep an eye on them as they can explode, but I'm sure you know that

Li-po catching fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79hQP_1gn9o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

Leftyflip wrote: »
    I'd imagine you charge them until the lights go out, but keep an eye on them as they can explode, but I'm sure you know that

Li-po catching fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79hQP_1gn9o

yeah i know about them catching fire but i just wasnt sure about how long to charge them, and i was afraid to try it until i got some more advice......and of course all the paper work that came with the batteries and charger are in chineese:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

yeah i know about them catching fire but i just wasnt sure about how long to charge them, and i was afraid to try it until i got some more advice......and of course all the paper work that came with the batteries and charger are in chineese:rolleyes:

Lithium is nasty stuff, but in fairness, properly made batteries are safe... ish. To keep it in perspective, only one in every few million has a dramatic failure, and those are the ones that make the news and cause product recalls. The charger should be able to manage the battery for you, that's it's job.

I'd make sure the battery's resting on something non-flammable, and I wouldn't leave it charging overnight when everyone's asleep. Those are reasonable precautions with charging any battery, other than that don't worry about it.

There are more important things in life. You have checked the battery in your smoke alarm, haven't you?

OzCam wrote: »
    Lithium is nasty stuff, but in fairness, properly made batteries are safe... ish. To keep it in perspective, only one in every few million has a dramatic failure, and those are the ones that make the news and cause product recalls. The charger should be able to manage the battery for you, that's it's job.

I'd make sure the battery's resting on something non-flammable, and I wouldn't leave it charging overnight when everyone's asleep. Those are reasonable precautions with charging any battery, other than that don't worry about it.

There are more important things in life. You have checked the battery in your smoke alarm, haven't you?

just check it man, thanks for that you've given me peace of mind:D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theburi

eHobby don't say if this charger has a balancer chip.
    You would need to balance cells before charging.

• Advertisement

theburi wrote: »
    eHobby don't say if this charger has a balancer chip.
    You would need to balance cells before charging.

it says 'intelligent control charger' on it......

just googled the charger name and serial number and found this:

http://www.himodel.com/electric/11.1V_&_7.4V_Lithium_Battery_Field_Balance_Charger_CHC-5011.html

should have done this first as it explains all about the lights and that on this site. and also says it has a balancing circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Maybe I'm over protective, but I'd be putting my Li-Pos in this while charging:
    69511_PE184565_S4.jpg
    Bucket of sand on stand-by...

Maybe I'm over protective, but I'd be putting my Li-Pos in this while charging:
    69511_PE184565_S4.jpg
    Bucket of sand on stand-by...

thats a good idea might do that with mine......put them on the tiles in the kitchen or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Seeing as charging bags are expensive and hard to find, a terracotta flowerpot isn't the worst idea I've ever seen. It sure won't burn, and it's cheap.

• Advertisement

OzCam wrote: »
    Seeing as charging bags are expensive and hard to find, a terracotta flowerpot isn't the worst idea I've ever seen. It sure won't burn, and it's cheap.

you mean these?

the flower pot is just less hassle......there one out the back bye bye flowers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

hey lads iv just bought my first lipo's and charger and wonder how long do i charger them for? or do i just charge them till the lights go on or off on the charger?

it this charger i got: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/bb-battery/batteries/chargers-dischargers/gandp-li-ion-polymer-charger-type-b-for-7-4v-11-1v-battery.html

and these batteries: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/bb-battery/batteries/lithium-batteries/hot-power-7-4v-1600mah-12c-lithium-battery-ak-stick.html

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/bb-battery/batteries/lithium-batteries/hot-power-7-4v-2200mah-15c-lithium-battery.html

and should i discharge them before i first charge them? i dont want to touch them till i know what the craic is with them.

so immediate help needed:D

+1 on the flowerpot

I have the same batteries and a different charger. My charger has an LCD screen and beeps at me when the batts are fully charged.

As you have done already its just a question of inderstanding what the charger is telling you. Any decent balance charger should stop charging when the correct voltages in the battery are detected.

hoplite wrote: »
    +1 on the flowerpot

I have the same batteries and a different charger. My charger has an LCD screen and beeps at me when the batts are fully charged.

As you have done already its just a question of inderstanding what the charger is telling you. Any decent balance charger should stop charging when the correct voltages in the battery are detected.

well i charged one last nigth.....under close supervision and after about an hour on of the lights changed from red to green and about 10 mins after that the second one changed........

i assume this meant one of the cell charged quicker then the other and stopped charging.

Advertisement