Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Users.... transition from 350d to 50d

• 15-04-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

anyone done the above? I went from my age old 350 to the 50d. I am finding the AF settings (AF on /one shot/servio and ai focus) difficult to understand - old camera didn't have these.

Any quick start tips to get my head around this? I know RTFM - but can't find it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Well one-shot is used mostly if you know your only going to be focusing on a stationary subject - Landscape, Portrait etc. So basically the camera will obtain focus once and thats it.

Servo - is if your going to be shooting sports or a moving object where you want the camera to continuously focus

AI Focus - probably the best setting, the camera will start off in one-shot mode but if if detects movement it will switch to servo mode

hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

By all accounts AI focus is the weakest and seldom used.

really? Just shows you cant believe what you read then.....because I have always read the opposite. So would you just leave it in one shot and switch to servo if needed?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

anoble66 wrote: »
    really? Just shows you cant believe what you read then.....because I have always read the opposite. So would you just leave it in one shot and switch to servo if needed?

Thanks
    Yeah, not claiming to be an expert but I do read a lot, and it seems the general opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

anyone done the above? I went from my age old 350 to the 50d. I am finding the AF settings (AF on /one shot/servio and ai focus) difficult to understand - old camera didn't have these.

Any quick start tips to get my head around this? I know RTFM - but can't find it!

i went from 350 to the 50d as well. have it left on one shot all the time because of the type of photography i do.

the 350d i have does have these options as well....

• Advertisement

Yep, your right, just googled it :) - Will be turning this off right now..

AI Auto focus: Mode where the 50D determines whether One Shot or AI Servo should be used. In general this is not a good mode to be in, and I avoid it at all times. Its quite quick and easy to switch between one shot and AI Servo - do that when switching is necessary.

Yeah, not claiming to be an expert but I do read a lot, and it seems the general opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

RTFM - but can't find it!

from the 50d manual:

one shot AF for still subjects. suited for still subjects, when you press the shutter button half way the camera will focus only once.....

AI Servo for moving subjects. This AF mode is for moving subjects when the focussing distance keeps changing. while you hold down the shutter button half way, the subject will be focussed continuously.

AI Focus for automatic switching of AF mode. AI focus AF switches the AF mode from one shot AF to AI servo AF automatically if the still subject starts moving.

hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

...age old 350 to the 50d. I am finding the AF settings (AF on /one shot/servio and ai focus) difficult to understand - old camera didn't have these.

I'm a bit confused. I'm using a 350D at the moment and it certainly has the three options: One Shot, AI Focus, AI Servo.:confused:

I usually have it set at One Shot, but I'll change depending on the circumstance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Eh? The EOS 350D does in fact have these available. If you still have the manual for the 350D you'll get a breakdown of them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IloveAchill

It's great when you feel like a tool after posting a question! Never knew about those options on the 350 -there you go, maybe they just aren't that obvious to me, still looking for them. How do you find them on the 350?

Anyway - lots more fiddling to do - on both cameras'.

thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Don't be silly, there's still plenty of things I haven't figured out on my 350d!
    To get at the different AF settings use the "AF" button on the right side of the cluster of buttons at the back.
    Enjoy the 50d!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IloveAchill

OK - sorry for time wasting - I put it down to serious baby brain! I don't have a 350 - it is the 300 - so I wondered why I couldn't find the AF button on the back. Christ - I think I need sleep!

Anyway thanks for the helpful replies ;-)
    Major opps!

Advertisement