Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do the Teachers think they are fooling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Funny, I always thought businesses were out to make a profit, not stick to idealistic principles.
    Last job I was in, one of the staff was going to be sacked for using their holiday entitlement at a time which the management disliked. We all threatened a walk out.
    This was as sales assistants and there were around 3 CVs being handed in by prospective employees every day; there was no shortage of applicants and yet it was cheaper for them to simply form an agreement with the staff member rather than fire us all and have to deal with retraining a completely new staff.

Even funnier, last job I was in, we threatened to strike and they sacked us. They reckoned it would be cheaper to train new people then meet us half way. I was the shop steward, union was useless, PM me for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Which union?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Which union?

PM means that you send him a private message and he will tell you.

Yes, I am aware of what a PM is.

However, I am asking which union was such a non-helper. I'd be interested in seeing it stated here so others will know not to bother.

Which union?

SIPTU. It's unfair to blame them I suppose, the employer (my boss) ignored them and just used threats on some of the "union" members (I use "" because we didn't advertise it; well, I did :-) got me the sack :-) )

Although, this takes away from my point; which is, teacher unions look after teachers, PAYE unions look after PAYE ers (I think)

Yes, I am aware of what a PM is.

However, I am asking which union was such a non-helper. I'd be interested in seeing it stated here so others will know not to bother.

Oh right. I did nt seem like you understood what he meant.

You seem to be the only one here who doesnt actually know how the big bad world of employers and unions actually really works.

How long have you been working full time? ie. not summer jobs?

bobbbb wrote: »
    Oh right. I did nt seem like you understood what he meant.
    I'd be a pretty poor moderator if I hadn't grasped such a basic concept of Boards.ie as a PM.

You seem to be the only one here who doesnt actually know how the big bad world of employers and unions actually really works.

How long have you been working full time? ie. not summer jobs?

Because I quote the law I don't get how the big bad world works? Well if condescension makes you feel better about yourself then go for it I suppose.

I've stated twice that I'm in university. Fairly detracts from your claim that I'm the only one here who doesn't know something as you clearly havn't read the full thread.

omahaid wrote: »
    SIPTU. It's unfair to blame them I suppose, the employer (my boss) ignored them and just used threats on some of the "union" members (I use "" because we didn't advertise it; well, I did :-) got me the sack :-) )

Although, this takes away from my point; which is, teacher unions look after teachers, PAYE unions look after PAYE ers (I think)
    SIPTU?
    THat's shocking considering they have around 1/3 of Ireland's union members.

What exactly did SIPTU do?

SIPTU?
    THat's shocking considering they have around 1/3 of Ireland's union members.

What exactly did SIPTU do?

In exact detail? Sent a letter, held a ballot. I told you it was unfair to blame them. That was it really, heard nothing else since, two years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭spudster101

caoimhe19 wrote: »
    I advise you to stand in front of a class of teenagers for 45 mins and try to teach them something they have absolutely no interest in.
    Then go and stand in front of another group of teenagers for another 45 mins and try to do this again. Repeat this another 6 times. Do try and keep your back to the blackboard all the time. if you forget you might need to duck to avoid being hit by flying objects.

Then go home and plan 6 or seven classes for the next day and correct anything from 30 to 100 pieces of work/

Do this five days a week.
    Dont forget to fill in your time sheet. You will have to do this repeatedly once a week for anything from one to ten years, untill someone retires or gets sick and that permanent job coomes along.

oh, you may have the odd insult about your weight, looks thrown at you or even have to put up with sexual insults now and again.

And as for teachers stress, who do they think they are talking about stress with all those short days and holidays and big fat pay checks!!!

Now the bankers......they are the ones i have pity for, their stress levels must be something else, what with all that travelling back and forth to Switzerland!

No i am not a teacher, just using my brain!!! Something all those wonderful professional people who educated me, taught me to do.

Take care.

Granted you do need the personality to bulit a rapport with your class but dont forget 6 classes a day works out at 4.5 hours a day so plenty of time in an 8 hour day to correct papers:D

I'd be a pretty poor moderator if I hadn't grasped such a basic concept of Boards.ie as a PM.

Fair enough.
    Even funnier, last job I was in, we threatened to strike and they sacked us. They reckoned it would be cheaper to train new people then meet us half way. I was the shop steward, union was useless, PM me for details.
    Which union?

:rolleyes:. I guess your fingers just slipped onto the keyboard.

Because I quote the law I don't get how the big bad world works? Well if condescension makes you feel better about yourself then go for it I suppose.

I've stated twice that I'm in university. Fairly detracts from your claim that I'm the only one here who doesn't know something as you clearly havn't read the full thread.

I didnt say everybody didnt understand how it works. Clearly its just you.

Quote the law all you want. Its also illegal to taje drugs. And yet thats widespread. What the law says and how it works in reality are 2 different things.

Everyone else here seems to understand the real relationship between employers and unions in most companies. I would even say most people in uni understand how it works too.

Granted you do need the personality to bulit a rapport with your class but dont forget 6 classes a day works out at 4.5 hours a day so plenty of time in an 8 hour day to correct papers:D

They probably need some pretty serious skills too.
    Nothing like going out and finding out the real truth about these things for yourself. Try it. I did. Opened my eyes.
    I was under the impression that in school each individual child requires ongoing assessment and notes on their progress and plans for future progress etc.

I asked a primary teacher how many hours she worked in school a couple of weeks ago.

Start 8:30am
    not 9:00 as i thought because the kids need to be settled and ready to go by 9:00am. This requires an earlier start for the teacher.

Lunch 30 mins max - when they are not supervising at lunch (then its 5 mins for lunch).

Finish not before 3:00 to 3:30 most days. Later other days when after school activities are on or meetings or chatting with parents collecting kids.

Homework, plans etc 1 - 2 hrs a day at home

Average of about 8+ hours a day. I do 7 hours a day in my job.

Easter. She was in school for about a week over easter to get her room ready (prefab that was leaking. Her husband repaired it) and set up materials for the next term. She paid for these materials herself, and the repairs to the prefab.

This happens before the beginning of each term.

During the summer more repairs are required. Also a 1 week training course (for which she gets 3 elective days off in return.)

Back to school the week before the kids start for preparation work for the following years class. During the first 2 weeks of a new year she spends about 4 -5 extra hours a day writing initial reports on each childs educational position and their needs for the coming term.

During the year there are Communions at weekends, other weekends when work has to be done in the classroom and trips abroad or away for the weekends for sports and activities etc. Looking after school teams in various sports and organizing transport and matches. The list went on.
    Also board of management meetings and preparation work.

None of this extra wok is done during class time (9 - 2:30 (i think)). It cant be. 100% of class time is dedicated to teaching. All of the support work goes on outside class work.

All in all i had no appreciation for what these people do before. I reckon they work more than i do, they have a harder job and get paid a hell of a lot less than i get paid do for what i do.

And yet everyone is on their backs. Begrudgery and ignorance methinks.

Fair enough.

:rolleyes:. I guess your fingers just slipped onto the keyboard.
    The weaker the argument, the more likely the rolleyes will be used.
    It's turning into something akin to Godwin's Law by this point

I asked him which union on here so if he was telling the truth, it would be in public.
    You seem to think that asking for it to be discussed publicly means no knowledge of a PM.
    I didnt say everybody didnt understand how it works. Clearly its just you.
    I didn't say you claimed nobody knows. What you said was;
    I responded with;
    Fairly detracts from your claim that I'm the only one here who doesn't know something as you clearly havn't read the full thread.
    Try harder next time. Or actually read people's posts.
    Whichever suits you.

Quote the law all you want.
    Will do, it beats making stuff up.
    Its also illegal to taje drugs. And yet thats widespread. What the law says and how it works in reality are 2 different things.
    Yes and if you take drugs and are caught, you can be prosecuted.
    If you break labour law and are caught, then you can be sued.
    Terrible analogy BTW.
    Everyone else here seems to understand the real relationship between employers and unions in most companies. I would even say most people in uni understand how it works too.
    What is the real relationship, and where have I claimed to know it?
    What I have done is pointed out the law, this seems to have gone over your head though.
    Most students I know aren't aware of what exactly unions do. But you appear to know so much better.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think he is trying to point out to you that quoting the constitution etc etc, doesn't get you very fair in the private sector. There are plenty of ways to move someone on within weeks just by following procedures and if they don't fancy that making people redundant is very easy in the private sector.

A lot of people posting here likely actually have direct experience of them, you seem to think it is some kind of academic exercise.

I'd certainly advise that you look for a public sector position if you really believe any of the employment law in Ireland provides security for private sector workers.

copacetic wrote: »
    I think he is trying to point out to you that quoting the constitution etc etc, doesn't get you very fair in the private sector. There are plenty of ways to move someone on within weeks just by following procedures and if they don't fancy that making people redundant is very easy in the private sector.

A lot of people posting here likely actually have direct experience of them, you seem to think it is some kind of academic exercise.

I'd certainly advise that you look for a public sector position if you really believe any of the employment law in Ireland provides security for private sector workers.
    Right, and despite being in the private sector, they are still within Ireland/the EU and subject to their laws.
    You seem to believe there is a two tier legal system.

Silly me for believing that laws are actually enforceable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

tallaght01 wrote: »
    LOL :D

Love it :pac::pac::pac:

Have you read the thread or just decided to jump in when it suited?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59876131#post59876131

We're not talking about holding placards outside an empty school in June, we're talking abot teachers getting up off their arses and strike during their 3 month holidays outside Dail Eireann, instead of affecting 5yr olds on their first day in Sept.
    Big difference

Right, and despite being in the private sector, they are still within Ireland/the EU and subject to their laws.
    You seem to believe there is a two tier legal system.

what laws prevent people from being made redundant? In the private sector people get let go all the time, with 2 weeks pay per year. Thats legal.

As an employer all I need to do is not then employ someone else to do a job with the same name. If I want to clear out more people then it is perfectly legal to let people go based on first in, first out.

You have a complete lack of understanding on what the difference is between the public and private sector. I'm not claiming a 'two tier' legal system. The law offers no protection to either the public or private sectors. It's powerful public sector unions that protect the public sector.

Ya, I made that mistake too

The weaker the argument, the more likely the rolleyes will be used.
    It's turning into something akin to Godwin's Law by this point

I asked him which union on here so if he was telling the truth, it would be in public.
    You seem to think that asking for it to be discussed publicly means no knowledge of a PM.

I didn't say you claimed nobody knows. What you said was;

I responded with;

Try harder next time. Or actually read people's posts.
    Whichever suits you.

Will do, it beats making stuff up.

Yes and if you take drugs and are caught, you can be prosecuted.
    If you break labour law and are caught, then you can be sued.
    Terrible analogy BTW.

What is the real relationship, and where have I claimed to know it?
    What I have done is pointed out the law, this seems to have gone over your head though.
    Most students I know aren't aware of what exactly unions do. But you appear to know so much better.

Take a breath. Read what others are saying that actually have first hand knowledge of how employment laws work are enforced or avoided in reality.
    Relax.
    And learn.
    It will stand to you in the future.

Take a breath. Read what others are saying that actually have first hand knowledge of how employment laws work are enforced or avoided in reality.
    Relax.
    And learn.
    It will stand to you in the future.

I remember that argument, although last time I heard it was in school.
    When you lack any argument whatsoever; tell the other person to relax, regardless of how they have conducted themselves so far.
    Good show.
    what laws prevent people from being made redundant? In the private sector people get let go all the time, with 2 weeks pay per year. Thats legal.
    I don't believe I ever claimed that you can be prevented from being made redunant.
    What I said was that there are laws which employers are required to abide by.
    Such as you cannot be prevented from joining a union.
    Or fired because of it.
    As an employer all I need to do is not then employ someone else to do a job with the same name. If I want to clear out more people then it is perfectly legal to let people go based on first in, first out.
    ?
    Yes that is indeed legal.
    I don't recall claiming otherwise.
    You have a complete lack of understanding on what the difference is between the public and private sector. I'm not claiming a 'two tier' legal system. The law offers no protection to either the public or private sectors. It's powerful public sector unions that protect the public sector.
    And you have a complete lack of understanding RE the law and it's jurisdiction. The law does indeed offer protection to workers, regardless of which sector they work in.
    The ones I have pointed out so far are fairly clear; an employer cannot avoid laws purely because they do not belong to the state. Employers liability for example. I can give you case law to back this up if you wish.

The unions offer a hand in this regard but are not the final say in the matter.

Ya, I made that mistake too
    Hmm, how exactly was the law broken in your case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Im in IT. We dont strike because we get paid well and are in demand enough to get some respect from our employers, so are not subject to abuse the way other sectors are. I also have a clause in my contract about unions. I dont even read it anymore. Basically it says "No unions". I dont need a union anyway.

And when we want to get rid of someone there are ways and means. Everyone always has an email they would rather resign over than be fired over :) Ask 700 HP staff about their emails, who were let go (read fired intstead of made redundant) when i was there back during the .com bust.

Oh, so it's in your contract too, well at least I was telling porkys ;)

So far,I've given you articles of domestic law, international law and statutes disproving what you say.
    You're response; they'd still fire you/ companies don't get involved with unions.
    Please back up what you claim or else bring out a new argument as those old ones have been disproved.
    Next.

I've ignored the rest as we're going round in circles.

What I'm saying is not that _every_ company in the country does

I'm talkaing about American It companies, they don't recognize unions and they will not talk/respond to them.

As I said the company tried to bring them in, that company left the country 6 weeks later and landed HERE, THEY ALL LOST THIER JOB

_not_ for trying to join a union, They were all let go because the company "moved" to another country

this seems to be failing you.

what law in ireland stops an american company leaving the country if there staff join up to a union? nothing right?

they just up and leave like many have but for different reasons and there is nothing we can do about it.

they won't say "we're going because your joining unions"

they'll just vanish, and i can sit on the dole qeue reading all the law and human rights doco i want it wont do me any good.

Such as you cannot be prevented from joining a union.
    Or fired because of it.

You're in college, you're a bright enough kid, work it out.

they WON'T fire you because you joined the union, they will fire you they will pick a reason that's legal and do it in a way that's legal

trying to prove it's because you joined a union is near impossible.

my heads sore from banging it against the wall

you can quote all the laws you want but if they didn't break any it's not going to do you much good now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭I'lllearnye

I worked in the private sector (large banking corporation in Stephen's Green; banking corporation in North Dublin;lab technician in food factory; office payroll worker). I worked 'eight' hours a day....I say 'eight' because in an average day I'd spend maybe half an hour surfing the net, another half hour talking to colleagues about stuff totally unrelated to work (not on break time). Fifteen minute breaks here and there for coffee. Went to the toilet whenever I wanted. Half hour breakfast break. One hour lunch. So on an average 'eight' hour day, I'd end up working for five hours and fifteen minutes. Notwithstanding those days where I just didn't feel up to being in work, and so spent the day 'looking busy'.
    I've worked as a teacher for two years now. In an average 'six' (it's five hours an forty minutes by the way) hour day, I get a fifteen minute break, and half hour lunch. I talk to my colleagues on my breaks, if I talk to them during working hours, it's about work. I go to the toilet on my breaks because it's not feasible to leave a classrom of children if I want to answer nature's call. There's never a day that I can take it easy and 'look busy' just because I'm not in the mood for work. The school day adds up to four hours and fifty five mins. Not much difference between that and a private sector working day. However, add to that day maybe about another two/three hours of correcting/paperwork/finding resources for the classrroom and on average as a teacher, I'd work about seven/eight hours a day.
    I'm going to assume that the people who are complaining about 'six hour days' (whenever I see that, it makes me laugh) have never worked as a teacher. I have worked in banks, offices, labs and classrooms and I can honestly say the teaching job is the toughest I've done so far. However, I love what I do. I'd love to continue what I'm doing, I don't know if I'll have a job next year. Even if I do get a job, due to bigger class sizes, I don't know if I'll be able to bring the level of professionalism to the classroom I'd like to bring. There are stingy feckers out there who are striking for money (there are stingy feckers in all sectors, not just the public sector by the way), but I know in my heart and soul that the majority of teachers love to bring out the best in the children in their classroom, and it will be far more difficult to do this when there are maybe five/six more children in the class.
    Of course people are going to believe that ALL teachers are in it for the money/holidays/whatever next the government will feed the public to get them on their side. Anybody who goes into teaching for the holidays is a born fool, and wouldn't last a year in teaching. Anybody who goes into teaching for the pay obviously haven't got eyes in their heads, because the private sector will always earn more. Anyone who goes into teaching for security....well I wouldn't blame anyone going into a job for security (although just a few short years ago, I was looked upon as being crazy for leaving a well paid private sector job....now however, going by this thread as evidence, I'm looked upon as a salivating money grabber who strikes just for the hell of it, the children in class are the last thing on my mind. Just show me the money!! :p)
    Having been on both sides of the fence, my 2c.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Oh, so it's in your contract too, well at least I was telling porkys ;)

Its in there alright. Makes it very clear they will not entertain them should you they ever get involved.

I've ignored the rest as we're going round in circles.

What I'm saying is not that _every_ company in the country does

I'm talkaing about American It companies, they don't recognize unions and they will not talk/respond to them.

As I said the company tried to bring them in, that company left the country 6 weeks later and landed HERE, THEY ALL LOST THIER JOB

_not_ for trying to join a union, They were all let go because the company "moved" to another country

this seems to be failing you.

what law in ireland stops an american company leaving the country if there staff join up to a union? nothing right?

they just up and leave like many have but for different reasons and there is nothing we can do about it.

they won't say "we're going because your joining unions"

they'll just vanish, and i can sit on the dole qeue reading all the law and human rights doco i want it wont do me any good.

You're applying a blanket generalisation about American IT companies?
    Ok.

Can you provide proof that these companies will up and leave over joining unions in a general sense? (aside from the example you gave from Holland)

they WON'T fire you because you joined the union, they will fire you they will pick a reason that's legal and do it in a way that's legal

you can quote all the laws you want but if they didn't break any it's not going to do you much good now is it?
    You seem to think that employers are all a bunch of evil fat cats out to stick over the workers, waiting for you to slip up so they can vindicate you having the gall to join a union.

No point arguing with him.
    He wont be told.
    He doesnt even seem to get the points you are making at all.
    You'll just have to let him find out, the hard way, what everyone else knows already.

I worked in the private sector (large banking corporation in Stephen's Green; banking corporation in North Dublin;lab technician in food factory; office payroll worker). I worked 'eight' hours a day....I say 'eight' because in an average day I'd spend maybe half an hour surfing the net, another half hour talking to colleagues about stuff totally unrelated to work (not on break time). Fifteen minute breaks here and there for coffee. Went to the toilet whenever I wanted. Half hour breakfast break. One hour lunch. So on an average 'eight' hour day, I'd end up working for five hours and fifteen minutes. Notwithstanding those days where I just didn't feel up to being in work, and so spent the day 'looking busy'.
    I've worked as a teacher for two years now. In an average 'six' (it's five hours an forty minutes by the way) hour day, I get a fifteen minute break, and half hour lunch. I talk to my colleagues on my breaks, if I talk to them during working hours, it's about work. I go to the toilet on my breaks because it's not feasible to leave a classrom of children if I want to answer nature's call. There's never a day that I can take it easy and 'look busy' just because I'm not in the mood for work. The school day adds up to four hours and fifty five mins. Not much difference between that and a private sector working day. However, add to that day maybe about another two/three hours of correcting/paperwork/finding resources for the classrroom and on average as a teacher, I'd work about seven/eight hours a day.
    I'm going to assume that the people who are complaining about 'six hour days' (whenever I see that, it makes me laugh) have never worked as a teacher. I have worked in banks, offices, labs and classrooms and I can honestly say the teaching job is the toughest I've done so far. However, I love what I do. I'd love to continue what I'm doing, I don't know if I'll have a job next year. Even if I do get a job, due to bigger class sizes, I don't know if I'll be able to bring the level of professionalism to the classroom I'd like to bring. There are stingy feckers out there who are striking for money (there are stingy feckers in all sectors, not just the public sector by the way), but I know in my heart and soul that the majority of teachers love to bring out the best in the children in their classroom, and it will be far more difficult to do this when there are maybe five/six more children in the class.
    Of course people are going to believe that ALL teachers are in it for the money/holidays/whatever next the government will feed the public to get them on their side. Anybody who goes into teaching for the holidays is a born fool, and wouldn't last a year in teaching. Anybody who goes into teaching for the pay obviously haven't got eyes in their heads, because the private sector will always earn more. Anyone who goes into teaching for security....well I wouldn't blame anyone going into a job for security (although just a few short years ago, I was looked upon as being crazy for leaving a well paid private sector job....now however, going by this thread as evidence, I'm looked upon as a salivating money grabber who strikes just for the hell of it, the children in class are the last thing on my mind. Just show me the money!! :p)
    Having been on both sides of the fence, my 2c.

You should start a thread on exactly what teachers do, for the benefit of people who somehow miss posts like yours, just so they can keep begrudging you your job.

They have no idea what a job involves or your salary scales. They could so easily find this out if they were bothered. But they will just find all the bs they have been saying will have to be retracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I was under the impression that in school each individual child requires ongoing assessment and notes on their progress and plans for future progress etc.

I asked a primary teacher how many hours she worked in school a couple of weeks ago.

Start 8:30am
    not 9:00 as i thought because the kids need to be settled and ready to go by 9:00am. This requires an earlier start for the teacher.
    My understanding is that primary school class starts at 9:20. I know many teachers would go into the school at about 9:00 with the lazy ones showing up at about 9:15-9:20.
    (My sister is a primary school teacher BTW).
    Lunch 30 mins max - when they are not supervising at lunch (then its 5 mins for lunch).
    But they also get about 15mins at about 11am too and 5-10 mins at 2pm. Under law you are entitled to 15mins for every 4 hours you work. So on the days they are not supervising in the yard (which is most days) they get nearly 1 hour in breaks for a 6 hour day. That is pretty good and makes up for when they get the minimum amount on the days of supervising.
    Finish not before 3:00 to 3:30 most days. Later other days when after school activities are on or meetings or chatting with parents collecting kids.
    Nearly everytime I have been in the local national school 99% of the teachers are gone by 3:10. Some stay as late as 3:30 sometimes just to go on the internet. On fridays nobody stays behind - they are all out the door by 3:05.

Teachers involved in after school activities are often paid extra by being assigned "posts". Those posts pay a few thousand extra per year.
    Homework, plans etc 1 - 2 hrs a day at home
    So we are talking about an 8 hour day maximum. Many teachers after their first few years spend very little on these plans. They might stay in school an extra 30 minutes to do this.
    Average of about 8+ hours a day. I do 7 hours a day in my job.
    I do 7.5 hours a day (8.5 hour long day including my 1 hour break). Many people do 8 - its not a big deal. Plus on average they do about 7 hours a day plus they have the summer holidays.
    Easter. She was in school for about a week over easter to get her room ready (prefab that was leaking. Her husband repaired it) and set up materials for the next term. She paid for these materials herself, and the repairs to the prefab.
    She can submit those materials as expenses and get the money back.
    During the summer more repairs are required. Also a 1 week training course (for which she gets 3 elective days off in return.)
    It is very rare to see a primary school teacher in the school over the summer holidays. Maybe some of the older teachers come in the odd time but the younger teachers are usually gone abroad.
    Back to school the week before the kids start for preparation work for the following years class. During the first 2 weeks of a new year she spends about 4 -5 extra hours a day writing initial reports on each childs educational position and their needs for the coming term.
    Generally the teachers might come in a couple of days before the start of the new year to make sure everything is ok in the classroom and they will spend a few hours at home preparing for stuff. Again., it is the new teachers that spend the most time preparing but that is just because they are not experienced.
    During the year there are Communions at weekends, other weekends when work has to be done in the classroom and trips abroad or away for the weekends for sports and activities etc. Looking after school teams in various sports and organizing transport and matches. The list went on.
    Also board of management meetings and preparation work.
    There are extra paid posts for most of this. The communion doesn't really take much of a weekend and many people in jobs have to work the odd weekend for whatever reason.
    None of this extra wok is done during class time (9 - 2:30 (i think)). It cant be. 100% of class time is dedicated to teaching. All of the support work goes on outside class work.
    Often many teachers have SNAs which they use to supervise children when they are doing things and use them when going on trips too.
    All in all i had no appreciation for what these people do before. I reckon they work more than i do, they have a harder job and get paid a hell of a lot less than i get paid do for what i do.
    I wouldnt ' like the job but then again most of the teachers wouldnt like my job either (IT). Saying it is a harder job is subjective - it might be to you but maybe not to them. They get paid a lot more than me too.
    And yet everyone is on their backs. Begrudgery and ignorance methinks.
    They say there is less money so what do they do - cut down on their work instead of realising that since there is less money then they should help out more to get through it.

Anything that is possibly hard about their job is made up for with extended summer holidays. I certainly would rather be teacher in a primary school than a cop in a dodgy area and from what I know the teacher earns more starting out (not even including the other perks).

Cop the f'uck on teachers and get down to doing your jobs. There is less money now - nothing that can be done about that so instead of working to rule how about giving an extra hand to help this country get through the recession. Everyone in the private and public sector has to bare the brunt together.

You should start a thread on exactly what teachers do, for the benefit of people who somehow miss posts like yours, just so they can keep begrudging you your job.

They have no idea what a job involves or your salary scales. They could so easily find this out if they were bothered. But they will just find all the bs they have been saying will have to be retracted.

What BS?

Before you went for your pint last night, you failed to notice that the Dept of Education say that the average teacher pulls in €60kpa hence my gripe that they should NOT strike over pay.

• Advertisement

I don't believe I ever claimed that you can be prevented from being made redunant.

ok, so what protection do the laws below give you then?

And you have a complete lack of understanding RE the law and it's jurisdiction. The law does indeed offer protection to workers, regardless of which sector they work in.

Again, either you are deliberately being obtuse and pretending not to understand or you actually don't understand which I find hard to believe. Again I didn't say the laws don't apply, I said the law as it stands offers no protection. i.e they don't prevent anyone losing their job.

You appear to be attempting to take the whole thread off track with meaningless jabbering on about knowing case law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I have balls-all clue where this thread is going. I had a look in to see if there was anything enlightening being said, and everyone is arguing about whether you can join unions in the private sector!!!!

Look, in some parts of the private sector, bosses are unscrupulous and sack people too easily. In the public sector, some jobs are too protected.

Well big swinging mickey!

Some of the laziest people I know spend hours on boards in their private sector jobs. In fact, the least hardworking people I know are in the private sector. I know that's anecdote, but that seems to be the way this is going.

EVERYONE has, and should have, the right to strike. Well, there are a few exceptions in essential services.

So, let's not get mental here and deny teachers the right to strike if there's a reason to do so. They are legally entitled to, whether we like it or not.

So, let's look at why they're talking about striking. It's because they're having money taken off them. presumably that's money that was negotiated with them previous, and presumably there's an agreement somewhere. It's been taken off them in the form of a pension levy, that only certain sectors of the population will have to pay

So, there's a recession. And we need to recoup some money. So, everyone is taking a hit in terms of paying our various percentages of their wages, to keep things fair. Though it's not fair. Because the public sector are bailing out the private sector disproprtionately.

Junior doctors and gardai seem to be having money and grants taken off them in addition to this. But those groups have been pussies, and have just bent over and taken it.

There's a good reason why these groups have been targetted, though. It's because they are less likely to strike, and if they do, they are less likely to get public support. That's not rocket science.

At least the teachers are showing some balls.

I personally think that's a good enough reason to strike. Sure, we need money. So, take it off everyone equally.

Plus, my understanding is that talk of striking is really posturing, and there's not much support on the ground for it. But maybe an actual teacher could enlighten us about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I seem to remember when the had their strike in 2000 one of their big arguments was WE DO IT FOR THE STUDENTS all the while they let the strike run on so long it endangered Cert Mocks and Exams.

Theres some great teachers out there, don't get me wrong, but I have no respect for SIPTU practices.

tallaght01 wrote:
    So, let's look at why they're talking about striking. It's because they're having money taken off them. presumably that's money that was negotiated with them previous, and presumably there's an agreement somewhere. It's been taken off them in the form of a pension levy, that only certain sectors of the population will have to pay

What a rant against the private sector.

Now, you agree they should strike over a tiny percentage been taken out of their €60kpa.
    Guess the unemployed on €10kpa and the minimum wagers plus the rest of the workforce who earn nowhere near that €60kpa will agree with you :D

gurramok wrote: »
    What a rant against the private sector.

Now, you agree they should strike over a tiny percentage been taken out of their €60kpa.
    Guess the unemployed on €10kpa and the minimum wagers plus the rest of the workforce who earn nowhere near that €60kpa will agree with you :D

If you extend that logic, we should never allow strikes by any group, when any other group is worse off.

I also doubt most teachers are on 60k.

If you extend that logic, we should never allow strikes by any group, when any other group is worse off.

I also doubt most teachers are on 60k.

If you had read the thread, i had said they had a right to strike which i thought was morally wrong.

Again if you had read the thread, the Dept of Education say the average teacher pulls in 60k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote: »
    I seem to remember when the had their strike in 2000 one of their big arguments was WE DO IT FOR THE STUDENTS all the while they let the strike run on so long it endangered Cert Mocks and Exams.

Theres some great teachers out there, don't get me wrong, but I have no respect for SIPTU practices.
    Actually where is my calendar... oh thats right, theyre doing it again. :mad:

No, they can fcuk off.

gurramok wrote: »
    If you had read the thread, i had said they had a right to strike which i thought was morally wrong.

Again if you had read the thread, the Dept of Education say the average teacher pulls in 60k.

Yea, and the dept of health says junior docs earn 100k. Why would you believe the govt when they're up against a professional body?

You're using the fact that people are on the dole to argue that teachers shouldn't strike, so it's fair enough to point out that it's an unreasonable point to make.

Though not quite as unreasonable as arguing that they should strike on the summer :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

axer wrote: »
    My understanding is that primary school class starts at 9:20. I know many teachers would go into the school at about 9:00 with the lazy ones showing up at about 9:15-9:20.
    (My sister is a primary school teacher BTW).

I think you'll find that it's 8:40 or 8:50 in most schools and NO way 9:20. The DES curriculum has a timetable of how long you need for each subject so the working day has to be a certain length. If you start later, you have to end later.
    But they also get about 15mins at about 11am too and 5-10 mins at 2pm. Under law you are entitled to 15mins for every 4 hours you work. So on the days they are not supervising in the yard (which is most days) they get nearly 1 hour in breaks for a 6 hour day. That is pretty good and makes up for when they get the minimum amount on the days of supervising.

Haha! No. Just no. You get a TEN minutes little (morning) break. You get 30 minutes for lunch break. And that's only if the kids are all lined up, coats on, had a pee etc. and brought out to yard on time. The slower they are, the less break teacher has. You don't get a break at 2:00 as you are in the classroom. Maybe in some 2 teacher rural school but I've never heard of this practice. Who would supervise the classes if all teacher got random 5 minute breaks? You can only go to the toilet at your break time. Twice a week you supervise yard, one day is 25 minutes, the other day is 15 minutes.
    Nearly everytime I have been in the local national school 99% of the teachers are gone by 3:10. Some stay as late as 3:30 sometimes just to go on the internet. On fridays nobody stays behind - they are all out the door by 3:05.

And why shouldn't they be gone at 3.10? They are only paid until 2:30. So effectively are doing 40 min unpaid work every day as it is. Teaching is flexible as you are your own timekeeper. If you are knackered and can't face laminating, wiping tables or typing plans, go home at 2:30, you are finished work. However you might feel the need to stay until 4 the next day to catch up. If you don't put the work and planning in, then you will suffer for it. There is nothing worse than being in a classroom unprepared. The most trying and longest days imho, are the end of term half days when the kids just want to watch videos and do art.

As for me, well I stay every Friday until 4:30 so that I can type up my weekly lesson plans for my Dip folder. On average I stay until 3:30 every other day, my class are gone by 1:30 (I teach infants). So I do an hours unpaid work everyday.

As for the internet, thats highly filtered and you can barely access Gmail (which I would never do in school in case it remembered my details and the kids got in). Most teachers would be online to get resources or research. Not as if they are on boards.
    Teachers involved in after school activities are often paid extra by being assigned "posts". Those posts pay a few thousand extra per year.

Wrong again. After school activities aren't given to post holders (except for breakfast Club in disadvantaged schools). Post B jobs are for things like putting up displays in the corridor, buying the coffee/tea at the warehouse, ordering art supplies, managing the computers, ordering the school books, making the whole school policies for the subjects, attending workshops for Maths/ English programs. Anyways, extra pay for these posts has been scrapped by the Dept.

After school clubs can be done by a worker from the School Completion program alongside the class teacher. I did this for 10 weeks and got €240, and was taxed €98 on this. :rolleyes: Choirs, football clubs, chess clubs etc. are done by the teachers and afaik, in my school the teachers do it for teh benefit of the kids and don;t get extra pay.
    So It is very rare to see a primary school teacher in the school over the summer holidays. Maybe some of the older teachers come in the odd time but the younger teachers are usually gone abroad. Generally the teachers might come in a couple of days before the start of the new year to make sure everything is ok in the classroom and they will spend a few hours at home preparing for stuff. Again., it is the new teachers that spend the most time preparing but that is just because they are not experienced.

They don't need to be in the school during the holidays. It's up to them again, if they feel the need to put up displays, throw things out, rearrange furniture etc. Young teachers can go abroad if they like. They are on holidays. And not all teachers are paid for these holidays. Only if they were lucky enough to be made permanent. Many teachers do courses in the summer.

Yes, new teachers spend more time preparing, they also get paid the least and are being levied/taxed highly too. People are being incredibly bitter, disguntled and out of line in their comments. It's hard on a new teacher to be caught up in all of this and tarred with the same brush during a year that is hard enough on them with inspectors and all.
    The communion doesn't really take much of a weekend and many people in jobs have to work the odd weekend for whatever reason.

It's ridiculous that so much of the year is spent doing the Communion prep in a STATE paid for school. It's also teacher's good will to attend the communion on a weekend. Teacher in my school has a wedding that day, she is going to the communion in the morning in Dublin and will have to drive down the country after it.
    Often many teachers have SNAs which they use to supervise children when they are doing things and use them when going on trips too.

SNAs aren't insured to be with the children without a teacher, so no, they can't be left to supervise. Also, the SNA is for the child not the teacher and should not be treated as a classroom assistant. Again, trips... Teachers don't get paid extra for these and we don't get overtime if they get back to the school late.
    I wouldnt ' like the job but then again most of the teachers wouldnt like my job either (IT). Saying it is a harder job is subjective - it might be to you but maybe not to them. They get paid a lot more than me too.

Anything that is possibly hard about their job is made up for with extended summer holidays. I certainly would rather be teacher in a primary school than a cop in a dodgy area and from what I know the teacher earns more starting out (not even including the other perks).

Again, the summer holidays seems to be the only argument that people have to throw at teachers. Say if we didn't have them what would they bitch about then? There's not much teachers can do about that unless parents want their kids in school during the summer? And only PERMANENT teachers get paid, others have to find work during the holidays and many need a new job in a new school that September.

Teacher's starting salary: €1334 - 1412 per fortnight (depending on higher/ordinary degree). Pretty reasonable I must admit.

Deductions:

- Tax
    - PRSI
    - Pension Levy
    - Salary Protection
    - Pension Grouped
    - INTO
    - Sp & Ch Pension
    - Income levy

Total: €961 per fortnight after deductions (€373).

I don't know but it doesn't seem like there should be a huge fuss made.

Most young teachers would be coming out with under €1000 in hand a fortnight depending on the tax bands and whether they have AVCs or not.

For someone who spent 3-4 years in college, hmm.. you decide if it's worth the fuss or not.

Again, the government is picking on middle class and making scapegoats for the private sector to take their frustration out on, I'm pretty sure you won't find any crooked or corrupt teachers with millions in secret accounts. Except for the ones that went into politics of course.. ;) At least those classroom positions they were still holding are available now and they won't be getting their DES pensions also. That's a step in the right direction.

• Advertisement

You're applying a blanket generalisation about American IT companies?
    Ok.

Can you provide proof that these companies will up and leave over joining unions in a general sense? (aside from the example you gave from Holland)

You seem to think that employers are all a bunch of evil fat cats out to stick over the workers, waiting for you to slip up so they can vindicate you having the gall to join a union.

Not at all I've said it more times, I'm in one of the top 10 company's to work for, I have an excellent work environment, I'm treated extremely well and I've worked for most of the big american IT company's at some point and I was treated pretty much the same in all.

These are not looking for me to step out of line to fire me.

But if you start to rock the boat you will be thrown overboard without a second thought.

it happens all the time.

Look man, When I first started working they used to call me SIPTU in work because it frustrated me that even tho I ws treated well I would have liking to be able to strike if the right reason every came up.

Before you get the half the word out Stri...a manager knows about it and your out on your ear.

You start to learn over time which side your bread is buttered on and you get on with the job.

I love my job, I love my employers, They luuuuurve me :p

But if i even dreamnt about talking about unions I would be on my ear before I woke up

it's _THAT_ simple

I'm not going to respond to anymore posts on this because I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to my kid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Overheal wrote: »

Do SIPTU represent teachers? Are they even involved in this?

I thought
    INTO for primary
    ASTI for secondary
    TUI for third level

Where does SIPTU fit in?
    Are if they aren't involved with teachers what shady practices have you seen Overheal? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

The best bit is when they say 'we are here to fight for the children's right to a decent education' when you know it is about their paycheck and their paycheck alone.

The hypocrisy of those teachers is at times hilarious. Do they realise everybody is laughing at them when they're on the telly? Everyone in my living room split their sides with sarcastic laughter the last time that fat ould, well fed, dripping in wealth teacher came on saying 'we have to think of the children', with pound signs in her eyes.

Teachers were on strike when I was at school, a good few years ago, do they ever stop bloody striking, they looked stupid then and they look stupid now.

But remember they are thinking of the children!!!!!!!!

dripping in wealth teacher

And you claim the teachers are the ones talking nonsense? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The best bit is when they say 'we are here to fight for the children's right to a decent education' when you know it is about their paycheck and their paycheck alone.

so what were all those marches for last november, their health?

And you claim the teachers are the ones talking nonsense? ;)

Well let's see where I'm getting my opinion from....any teacher I know certainly isn't on the breadline..... :D

• Advertisement

so what were all those marches for last november, their health?

Do you really think they were thinking more about the children or about themselves...?

Call me cynical, but I don't think their hearts were bleeding for the children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I think you'll find that it's 8:40 or 8:50 in most schools and NO way 9:20. The DES curriculum has a timetable of how long you need for each subject so the working day has to be a certain length. If you start later, you have to end later.
    I don't know what school you work in but the local school where i'm from the earliest teachers show up is 9am with some showing up at 9:15am. I know this because I used to do a lot of work in that school two in my family work in the school (one as a teacher). It is a school of about 300.
    Haha! No. Just no. You get a TEN minutes little (morning) break. You get 30 minutes for lunch break. And that's only if the kids are all lined up, coats on, had a pee etc. and brought out to yard on time. The slower they are, the less break teacher has. You don't get a break at 2:00 as you are in the classroom. Maybe in some 2 teacher rural school but I've never heard of this practice. Who would supervise the classes if all teacher got random 5 minute breaks? You can only go to the toilet at your break time. Twice a week you supervise yard, one day is 25 minutes, the other day is 15 minutes.
    In the school im talking about the kids go out for about 5-10 mins at about 2pm so the same supervision as lunch etc happens.
    And why shouldn't they be gone at 3.10? They are only paid until 2:30. So effectively are doing 40 min unpaid work every day as it is. Teaching is flexible as you are your own timekeeper. If you are knackered and can't face laminating, wiping tables or typing plans, go home at 2:30, you are finished work. However you might feel the need to stay until 4 the next day to catch up. If you don't put the work and planning in, then you will suffer for it. There is nothing worse than being in a classroom unprepared. The most trying and longest days imho, are the end of term half days when the kids just want to watch videos and do art.
    Again, I don't know how your school operates but the opening time in this school class starts at 9:20am and class ends at 3:00pm (2pm for baby infants and senior infants).
    As for me, well I stay every Friday until 4:30 so that I can type up my weekly lesson plans for my Dip folder. On average I stay until 3:30 every other day, my class are gone by 1:30 (I teach infants). So I do an hours unpaid work everyday.
    You are in a different situation since you are doing you h dip thus you have to have everything up to scratch. Your work in not really unpaid since you are still effectively still learning and are not fully qualified.
    As for the internet, thats highly filtered and you can barely access Gmail (which I would never do in school in case it remembered my details and the kids got in). Most teachers would be online to get resources or research. Not as if they are on boards.
    That is your school. The schools have options on how much they are filtered. At many of the schools email and the teachers favourte - ryanair.com and aerlingus.com are fully accessible. I know this because I worked IT supporting about 5 schools.
    Wrong again. After school activities aren't given to post holders (except for breakfast Club in disadvantaged schools). Post B jobs are for things like putting up displays in the corridor, buying the coffee/tea at the warehouse, ordering art supplies, managing the computers, ordering the school books, making the whole school policies for the subjects, attending workshops for Maths/ English programs. Anyways, extra pay for these posts has been scrapped by the Dept.
    There is a PE post for example and that would generally be given to the person who trains the main team(s). Posts are worked out for those who do the extra bits so they are generally rewarded as such.
    After school clubs can be done by a worker from the School Completion program alongside the class teacher. I did this for 10 weeks and got €240, and was taxed €98 on this. :rolleyes: Choirs, football clubs, chess clubs etc. are done by the teachers and afaik, in my school the teachers do it for teh benefit of the kids and don;t get extra pay.
    It depends on the school but often they are rewarded with the posts that they don't really have to do work with and get a few thousand extra a year.
    They don't need to be in the school during the holidays. It's up to them again, if they feel the need to put up displays, throw things out, rearrange furniture etc. Young teachers can go abroad if they like. They are on holidays. And not all teachers are paid for these holidays. Only if they were lucky enough to be made permanent. Many teachers do courses in the summer.
    Those on a temporary contract are basically the same as anyone in the private sector that is on temporary contract. Teachers should not just expect permanent status just because they are qualified.
    Yes, new teachers spend more time preparing, they also get paid the least and are being levied/taxed highly too. People are being incredibly bitter, disguntled and out of line in their comments. It's hard on a new teacher to be caught up in all of this and tarred with the same brush during a year that is hard enough on them with inspectors and all.
    That is like any job starting out whereby you start on a lower salary. Thus they deserve no more sympathy - you dont see everyone else out striking?
    It's ridiculous that so much of the year is spent doing the Communion prep in a STATE paid for school. It's also teacher's good will to attend the communion on a weekday. Teacher in my school has a wedding that day, she is going to the communion in the morning in Dublin and will have to drive down the country after it.
    I agree that relgion should not be thought in schools unless the teachers teach about all religions and not just one. It should never be practiced in the school by the teachers with the kids.
    SNAs aren't insured to be with the children without a teacher, so no, they can't be left to supervise. Also, the SNA is for the child not the teacher and should not be treated as a classroom assistant. Again, trips... Teachers don't get paid extra for these and we don't get overtime if they get back to the school late.
    In the real world SNAs do do this work whether insured or not.
    Again, the summer holidays seems to be the only argument that people have to throw at teachers. Say if we didn't have them what would they bitch about then? Again, there's not much teachers can do about that unless parents want their kids in school during the summer? And only PERMANENT teachers get paid, others have to find work during the holidays and many need a new job in a new school that September.
    So would you be ok with education camps in the summer and working at these as part of your current salary? I thought not. I'm sure summer school can be arranged except the government knows that the teachers will refuse to do it and ask for more money.
    Teacher's starting salary: €1334 - 1412 per fortnight (depending on higher/ordinary degree). Pretty reasonable I must admit.

Deductions:

- Tax
    - PRSI
    - Pension Levy
    - Salary Protection
    - Pension Grouped
    - INTO
    - Sp & Ch Pension
    - Income levy

Total: €961 per fortnight after deductions (€373).

I don't know but it doesn't seem like there should be a huge fuss made.

Most young teachers would be coming out with under €1000 in hand a fortnight depending on the tax bands and whether they have AVCs or not.
    Seems like pretty good money for me and if you get made permanent you have hit jackpot compared to the private sector where you dont have the same job security nor time off.
    Again, the government is picking on middle class and making scapegoats for the private sector to take their frustration out on, I'm pretty sure you won't find any crooked or corrupt teachers with millions in secret accounts. Except for the ones that went into politics of course.. ;) At least those classroom positions they were still holding are available now and they won't be getting their DES pensions also. That's a step in the right direction.
    The government cannot tax the private sector extra and they cannot control pay there but they can control the public sector pay and ask the private sector to fall into line.

The teachers like everyone else have to take a hit. Instead of whinging about it how about helping the situation by helping out more so as to reduce costs.

ok, so what protection do the laws below give you then?
    For example?

You cannot be fired for political/religious views.
    You cannot be fired for your race.
    Engagement in trade union activity outside of work hours.
    Etc

Again, either you are deliberately being obtuse and pretending not to understand or you actually don't understand which I find hard to believe. Again I didn't say the laws don't apply, I said the law as it stands offers no protection. i.e they don't prevent anyone losing their job.

You appear to be attempting to take the whole thread off track with meaningless jabbering on about knowing case law.
    The law does offer protection in that it offers a framework around which it is illegal for an employer to fire you. In the case of unfair dismissal, it will end up in the Tribunal/Circuit court.

Not at all I've said it more times, I'm in one of the top 10 company's to work for, I have an excellent work environment, I'm treated extremely well and I've worked for most of the big american IT company's at some point and I was treated pretty much the same in all.

These are not looking for me to step out of line to fire me.

But if you start to rock the boat you will be thrown overboard without a second thought.

it happens all the time.

Look man, When I first started working they used to call me SIPTU in work because it frustrated me that even tho I ws treated well I would have liking to be able to strike if the right reason every came up.

Before you get the half the word out Stri...a manager knows about it and your out on your ear.

You start to learn over time which side your bread is buttered on and you get on with the job.

I love my job, I love my employers, They luuuuurve me :p

But if i even dreamnt about talking about unions I would be on my ear before I woke up

it's _THAT_ simple

I'm not going to respond to anymore posts on this because I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to my kid ;)

Even if the employer is a good one, I still like to be in a union for the protection it offers. I've never had a personal reason to argue with management, so the union won't be needed. I'd hardly be paying €5 a week for something I don't need, however, if I am in any trouble, the union will be there should I need it. I view it as insurance. I have no need to rock the boat and it would not be in the unions interests for me to do so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Do you really think they were thinking more about the children or about themselves...?

Call me cynical, but I don't think their hearts were bleeding for the children

okay, you're cynical:D

and yes I do, only an idiot wouldn't...;)
    you seem not to realize that this was way back before pay cuts were proposed, (to public knowledge anyway) They were for school funding & classroom size

• Advertisement
Advertisement