Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do the Teachers think they are fooling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

gurramok wrote: »
    Do you accept the average figures then?

Yes, i absolutely accept the uselessness of an average, or mean, figure for this type of statistical issue, as there's likely to be skewed figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

brummytom wrote: »
    Don't know quite where RTE got their figures from,, many other websites seem to show teachers earn far less than E60k

http://www.educationworld.net/salaries_ie.html
    http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Secondary_School_Teacher/Salary

educationworld salaries are 2005 figures.
    payscale.com seems to indicate that the Department of Education is paying below teh agreed rates to a number of teachers....anyone actually believe that????

...Try checking www.tui.ie

Teachers Common Basic Scale

€32,599
    €33,754
    €34,907
    €36,068
    €37,865
    €39,028
    €40,194
    €43,123
    €44,586
    €46,336
    €48,077
    €49,830
    €51,297
    €53,238
    €53,238
    €53,238
    €55,916
    €55,916
    €54,916
    €55,916
    €59,454
    €59,454
    €59,454
    €59,454
    €63,360

Part-Time Hourly Rate (Second Level)

1. Qualified casual hourly rate (incl. 22% holiday pay) = €49.60

2. Unqualified hourly rate (incl. 22% holiday pay) = €43.00

3. Qualified non-casual rate to teacher paid according to their own personal point on the incremental salary scale plus allowances divided by 735. This will give the personal hourly rate. There is no additional payment for holiday periods as this figure includes 56% holiday pay.

Supervision and Substitution Rate @ 1/9/08
    €50.34 per hour

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS

w.e.f. 1/9/08

1. (a) (i) H. Dip in Ed. (Pass) €622
    (ii) Higher Froebel Cert. €622
    (b) (i) H. Dip in Ed. (1st or 2nd Hons) €1,299
    (ii) Árd Teastas Gaeilge €1,299
    (c) Primary Degree (Pass) €1,939
    (d) Masters Degree by thesis
    or exam (Pass) €5,177
    (e) Primary Degree (1st or 2nd Hons) €5,177
    (f) Masters Degree (1st or 2nd Hons) €5,177
    (g) Doctors Degree €6,463

Only one of the allowances at (a) or (b) may be held together with one of the allowances (c) to (g)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

otwb wrote: »
    educationworld salaries are 2005 figures.
    payscale.com seems to indicate that the Department of Education is paying below teh agreed rates to a number of teachers....anyone actually believe that????

...Try checking www.tui.ie

Teachers Common Basic Scale

€32,599
    €33,754
    €34,907
    €36,068
    €37,865
    €39,028
    €40,194
    €43,123
    €44,586
    €46,336
    €48,077
    €49,830
    €51,297
    €53,238
    €53,238
    €53,238
    €55,916
    €55,916
    €54,916
    €55,916
    €59,454
    €59,454
    €59,454
    €59,454
    €63,360

Part-Time Hourly Rate (Second Level)

1. Qualified casual hourly rate (incl. 22% holiday pay) = €49.60

2. Unqualified hourly rate (incl. 22% holiday pay) = €43.00

3. Qualified non-casual rate to teacher paid according to their own personal point on the incremental salary scale plus allowances divided by 735. This will give the personal hourly rate. There is no additional payment for holiday periods as this figure includes 56% holiday pay.

Supervision and Substitution Rate @ 1/9/08
    €50.34 per hour

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS

w.e.f. 1/9/08

1. (a) (i) H. Dip in Ed. (Pass) €622
    (ii) Higher Froebel Cert. €622
    (b) (i) H. Dip in Ed. (1st or 2nd Hons) €1,299
    (ii) Árd Teastas Gaeilge €1,299
    (c) Primary Degree (Pass) €1,939
    (d) Masters Degree by thesis
    or exam (Pass) €5,177
    (e) Primary Degree (1st or 2nd Hons) €5,177
    (f) Masters Degree (1st or 2nd Hons) €5,177
    (g) Doctors Degree €6,463

Only one of the allowances at (a) or (b) may be held together with one of the allowances (c) to (g)

Sweet lamb a ...:eek:. talk about being ass raped.

This is a fcuking disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Sweet lamb a ...:eek:. talk about being ass raped.

This is a fcuking disgrace.

Oh, did you miss the rest of it.

Seems to me you would need about 13 or more years and some good qualifications and a some promotions to make it to about €60k the alleged average salary.

That would be pretty crap for most careers in the private sector, for which you would need a third level qualification tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

what really amuses me about whinging teachers is their talk about their "poor" salary.

30k annually is not bad for 8 months of the year.

What really annoys me when they talk about their interests in childrens education, why is it that they have a half day every time there is a managment teacher meeting? They already work half a day as it is, then when they have meetings they quit at 12 for the meeting - rather than god forbid they have the meeting at 3 and not deprive the children their full day at school

The problem is, teachers are fooling nobody with their agenda that its for the childrens benefit, that is bollocks, its to keep their pockets lined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

I;d like to see a breakdown of the averages quoted.

It seems strange that the average teacher (most of the ones I know earn €30-40k) could be getting an additional €20-30k.

I hope no one minds if i explain this from my pov. I would be one of these primary teachers in the 30-40k bracket and and I am not saying it is a bad wage but just that I am like everyone else in other sectors who are all struggling and that the recent cuts dont help anyone.

But I chose to be in this position because prior to the celtic tiger I worked public service, then tried a few different jobs in the public and private sector and during the boom years I went back to college as a mature student looking for something else as I was not happy

I had no interest in private sector so didnt make money when it was there to be made but went looking for a job that would make me happy and this involved retraining. If I had stayed in my original job I would be a senior member of staff now making a great wage but instead I am starting out in a new career which makes me really happy. FOr me it has always been about the happiness rather then the money, naieve probably.

I enjoy teaching and as a result of previous education I bring to it a wealth of experience that benefits my class and I get so much from it. As stated elsewhere, another thread, I am not a teacher who arrives in just before the bell or leaves as it rings. I stay prepare plan something a lot of people who enjoy their jobs do and regularly end up doing a 12 hour plus day but that is my choice as I want the best for my kids. There are teachers who arrive just in time and leave on the bell but then in the other professions I have been in these people exist also. In one job I had there was a saying which was the reason the training took so long for that job was that it took that long to learn to look as if you are doing something when you are doing nothing and it wasnt a job in education.

Am I being paid enough can't tell you, all I can say is that like a lot of people I make it from paycheck to paycheck and the bills get paid which is enough for me. I dont have enough to go out after all bills paid but I am lucky to be getting to pay my bills so I am happy, I spent long enough 13 years with no money worrying about my debt and so am enjoying what I have for the moment.

I dont have security of tenure and have been told I may not have a job in September and as the main breadwinner this is a huge worry but I try not to think about it. My husband is a mature student and has been told that the job he retrained for is no longer viable and we are expecting out first child. But we chose this route and regardles of how the future turns out overall I am happy at the moment.

In relation to the strikes I know that when the strike day was announced a few weeks ago for Monday all the teachers I spoke to were sickened, they didnt want strike action. They voted for action up to and including strike but they did not expect it to be the first thing the union jumped on and in retrospect wished that there was a seperate section for strike. As someone said elsewhere these strikes should have occured last October when the cuts were first announced.

I know there are a lot of people from all walks of life in the same boat as myself and I feel that quoting 60K as a teachers wage does not give a real picture, so this is one persons picture.

excuse spelling mistakes cant type

bobbbb wrote: »

That would be pretty crap for most careers in the private sector, for which you would need a third level qualification tbh.

Rubbish, absolute rubbish. The vast majority of private sector workers with a 3rd level are happy to earn that sort of money... even in the construction sector

snyper wrote: »
    what really amuses me about whinging teachers is their talk about their "poor" salary.

What really annoys me when they talk about their interests in childrens education, why is it that they have a half day every time there is a managment teacher meeting? They already work half a day as it is, then when they have meetings they quit at 12 for the meeting - rather than god forbid they have the meeting at 3 and not deprive the children their full day at school

The problem is, teachers are fooling nobody with their agenda that its for the childrens benefit, that is bollocks, its to keep their pockets lined.

Everybody knows and accepts that, except the teachers;)

Rubbish, absolute rubbish. The vast majority of private sector workers with a 3rd level are happy to earn that sort of money... even in the construction sector

Are you telling me that 14+ years into a career you would be happy with only €60k?

Not very ambitious tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »

That's not actually possible. A lot of the time, teachers have to do a few hours' work when they come home.

Sick of my friends telling fibs :mad::mad::mad:

As I stated before, she said if you priorities your time right in the class you can get things done as they work

this makes perfect sense to me, but the main is anyway they do nothing for the most part of the 4 months that they get paid for

• Advertisement

cobweb wrote: »
    I hope no one minds if i explain this from my pov. I would be one of these primary teachers in the 30-40k bracket and and I am not saying it is a bad wage but just that I am like everyone else in other sectors who are all struggling and that the recent cuts dont help anyone.

But I chose to be in this position because prior to the celtic tiger I worked public service, then tried a few different jobs in the public and private sector and during the boom years I went back to college as a mature student looking for something else as I was not happy

I had no interest in private sector so didnt make money when it was there to be made but went looking for a job that would make me happy and this involved retraining. If I had stayed in my original job I would be a senior member of staff now making a great wage but instead I am starting out in a new career which makes me really happy. FOr me it has always been about the happiness rather then the money, naieve probably.

I enjoy teaching and as a result of previous education I bring to it a wealth of experience that benefits my class and I get so much from it. As stated elsewhere, another thread, I am not a teacher who arrives in just before the bell or leaves as it rings. I stay prepare plan something a lot of people who enjoy their jobs do and regularly end up doing a 12 hour plus day but that is my choice as I want the best for my kids. There are teachers who arrive just in time and leave on the bell but then in the other professions I have been in these people exist also. In one job I had there was a saying which was the reason the training took so long for that job was that it took that long to learn to look as if you are doing something when you are doing nothing and it wasnt a job in education.

Am I being paid enough can't tell you, all I can say is that like a lot of people I make it from paycheck to paycheck and the bills get paid which is enough for me. I dont have enough to go out after all bills paid but I am lucky to be getting to pay my bills so I am happy, I spent long enough 13 years with no money worrying about my debt and so am enjoying what I have for the moment.

I dont have security of tenure and have been told I may not have a job in September and as the main breadwinner this is a huge worry but I try not to think about it. My husband is a mature student and has been told that the job he retrained for is no longer viable and we are expecting out first child. But we chose this route and regardles of how the future turns out overall I am happy at the moment.

In relation to the strikes I know that when the strike day was announced a few weeks ago for Monday all the teachers I spoke to were sickened, they didnt want strike action. They voted for action up to and including strike but they did not expect it to be the first thing the union jumped on and in retrospect wished that there was a seperate section for strike. As someone said elsewhere these strikes should have occured last October when the cuts were first announced.

I know there are a lot of people from all walks of life in the same boat as myself and I feel that quoting 60K as a teachers wage does not give a real picture, so this is one persons picture.

excuse spelling mistakes cant type

If I ever have kids, I'm sending them to your school :)

Are you telling me that 14+ years into a career you would be happy with only €60k?

Not very ambitious tbh.

Ambition and reality are 2 different things.

I dont have a 3rd level degree, but i do know the reality of the situation

and the reality of the situation is that i know a few people with nearly 10 years in the public sector and with 3rd level educations that flip burgers in Mcdonalds now - and happy to get it.

Done to death. Its already been established in this thread that those figures and hearsay are nonsense. Continue imagining those fihures if you like, but people who actually do work in teaching and should know what they do themselves have posted their figures here.

Where did you get yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Not very ambitious tbh.

If you're not trolling than you need to change your perception of what is and isnt a brilliant wage. E60,000 a year, boom-time or recession, is an excellent wage to be getting after 14 years work; are all 35 year olds meant to be on E100,000 or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Oh, did you miss the rest of it.

Seems to me you would need about 13 or more years and some good qualifications and a some promotions to make it to about €60k the alleged average salary.

Am confused....you say that you need a decent degree to reach 60k and then you reckon that 60k is not great money for working in a private sector job for which you need a degree...have you worked in the private sector??

No promotions in the above...the promotion scales are on the web site as well..principals allowances are below if thats what you want to see...

PRINCIPALS’ ALLOWANCES

w.e.f. 1/9/08

School Size
    1-3 €9,800
    4-5 €10,981
    6 €12,882
    7-8 €15,116
    9-10 €17,584
    11-12 €20,088
    13-15 €22,512
    16 €24,961
    17-19 €26,765
    20-22 € 28,629
    23-26 € 31,343
    27-30 € 33,178
    31-35 € 36,729
    36-40 € 37,926
    41-50 € 41,136
    51-60 € 42,921
    61+ € 44,704

OTHER ALLOWANCES

1. Rural Science Teachers (for organisation and development of education activities outside formal class instruction)

€1,939

2. Itinerant Domestic Science Teachers

€1,939

3. Teaching through Irish

€1,666

4. Gaeltacht Grant payable to teachers in the Gaeltacht other than those in receipt of an allowance equal to 10% of scale salary

€ 3,224

5. Island Allowance

€1,939

6. Special allowance payable to teachers in Comprehensive Schools

€2,601

7. Allowance for Teachers with 35 years service

€2,446

8. Secretary Board of Management Allowance

€2,949

Prison Service Honorarium €5,024

ntlbell wrote: »
    Sick of my friends telling fibs :mad::mad::mad:

As I stated before, she said if you priorities your time right in the class you can get things done as they work

This is true to a certain extent but it also depends on the class group you have as it is easier to get stuff done with 6th class as they can work independently but try that with the junior end of the school, they need to be guided in almost everything and that is fine, it is part of the job but it does mean that some stuff has to be left until after they go home.

Also if correcting properly it takes time for a class of 30 children I spend about 2 hours correcting one subject. I then make notes on where the students went wrong and plan accordingly for a whole class lesson the next day and also do mini tutorials for students in the class who are still stuck. The children seem to enjoy these but good planning like this takes time and concentration so cannot be done in school

If you're not trolling than you need to change your perception of what is and isnt a brilliant wage. E60,000 a year, boom-time or recession, is an excellent wage to be getting after 14 years work; are all 35 year olds meant to be on E100,000 or something?

Well you wont get it if you cant manage your own career, thats for sure.
    If you're not even aware of what kind of money is to be earned in the private sector perhaps you are better off on the factory floor then.

Am confused....you say that you need a decent degree to reach 60k and then you reckon that 60k is not great money for working in a private sector job for which you need a degree...have you worked in the private sector??

No promotions in the above...the promotion scales are on the web site as well..principals allowances are below if thats what you want to see...

PRINCIPALS’ ALLOWANCES

w.e.f. 1/9/08

School Size
    1-3 €9,800
    4-5 €10,981
    6 €12,882
    7-8 €15,116
    9-10 €17,584
    11-12 €20,088
    13-15 €22,512
    16 €24,961
    17-19 €26,765
    20-22 € 28,629
    23-26 € 31,343
    27-30 € 33,178
    31-35 € 36,729
    36-40 € 37,926
    41-50 € 41,136
    51-60 € 42,921
    61+ € 44,704

OTHER ALLOWANCES

1. Rural Science Teachers (for organisation and development of education activities outside formal class instruction)

€1,939

2. Itinerant Domestic Science Teachers

€1,939

€1,666

4. Gaeltacht Grant payable to teachers in the Gaeltacht other than those in receipt of an allowance equal to 10% of scale salary

€ 3,224

5. Island Allowance

€1,939

6. Special allowance payable to teachers in Comprehensive Schools

€2,601

7. Allowance for Teachers with 35 years service

€2,446

8. Secretary Board of Management Allowance

€2,949

Prison Service Honorarium €5,024

Just accentuated the bubble these people are living in.

THE PUBLIC ARE NOT FOOLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well it's not as if those months off are just really generous holidays - kids can't be in the classroom for the summer. Those holidays are more in the pupils' interest than in the teachers'. It's a profession/vocation - they deserve 30k like any other profession/vocation.
    Fair enough.
    I don't think that's fair. I'm sure it applies to some teachers, but not all.

The point was that if you were in a private sector job that REQUIRED a degree, you'd be on more than 60k after 14 years. If you have a philosophy degree and are working in an office that's different. But teachers have to have a degree, and a postgrad diploma.

• Advertisement

She obviously designates a period of "reading time" so she can correct copies and do lesson plans. Terribly negligent. :mad: It's not as if time in the classroom isn't limited enough as it is.
    this makes perfect sense to me, but the main is anyway they do nothing for the most part of the 4 months that they get for
    Do primary school teachers get four months off? Maybe the kids could be kept in school 12 months of the year, and until 5pm...

tallaght01 wrote: »
    It's very noble of you to point out that people on the dole don't get enough money.

But I have no idea what it has to do with the price of cabbages!

this is funny coming from the man yacking on about teachers spotting authisim and other various nonsense that has _nothing_ to do with the issue.

this is funny coming from the man yacking on about teachers spotting authisim and other various nonsense that has _nothing_ to do with the issue.

Not funny actually, it's pathetic that these people have delusions that the great world of commerce and value for money applies to other people ,not them.

God help us.

She obviously designates a period of "reading time" so she can correct copies and do lesson plans. Terribly negligent. :mad: It's not as if time in the classroom isn't limited enough as it is.

Do primary school teachers get four months off? Maybe the kids could be kept in school 12 months of the year, and until 5pm...

christ.

Do you not remember being in school

how many classes were you in were a teacher talked for 45 mins constantly every class?

you get lots of time during the day when people are actually doing work you can do other tasks.

come off it.

Well it's not as if those months off are just really generous holidays - kids can't be in the classroom for the summer. Those holidays are more in the pupils' interest than in the teachers'. It's a profession/vocation - they deserve 30k like any other profession/vocation.

Fair enough.

I don't think that's fair. I'm sure it applies to some teachers, but not all.

Dont get me wrong. I dont begrudge teachers their wage as they do a job i wouldnt like to do - and more importantly its not a closed shop like some of the professions, and i have close friends that are teachers and are hit by the recession to some degree, but notthing like the regualr joe soap in the private sector but since time and memmorial teachers have being whinging about one thing or the other, and i think it condesending to the public to try and use "its for the kids" when in reality its for their own interest

Dont get me wrong. I dont begrudge teachers their wage as they do a job i wouldnt like to do - and more importantly its not a closed shop like some of the professions, and i have close friends that are teachers and are hit by the recession to some degree, but notthing like the regualr joe soap in the private sector but since time and memmorial teachers have being whinging about one thing or the other, and i think it condesending to the public to try and use "its for the kids" when in reality its for their own interest

The clue is in the question"Who do the teachers think they are fooling".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

€1,939

€1,666

You're telling me teachers get paid extra for knowledge of Irish?
    Don't they need honours Irish to get their HDip course?

So they study Irish for 12 plus years to a high level, have the ability to teach it as a subject and still get paid extra for more use of it? Why :confused:

tallaght01 wrote: »
    The point was that if you were in a private sector job that REQUIRED a degree, you'd be on more than 60k after 14 years. If you have a philosophy degree and are working in an office that's different. But teachers have to have a degree, and a postgrad diploma.

I understand your point, but i dont agree, yes of course there are many many jobs that pay over 60k many professions bet there are alot of degrees out there now, and not all of them have the same payscale as medicine, law and engineering

It would be nice if kids who need more attention than others had the option to come to school during the summer months for revision classes etc.

especially kdis at risk of being kept back etc

Not sure if i missed it or not

but do you agree with the strikes or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 notabother

Im sick of all the teacher bashing.

Irish teachers attract some of the highest achieving students academically on the L.C.

Granted we pay our teachers realtively well in comparison to countries such as the UK and USA but their education system is suffering and they are struggling to improve standards.

Reduce teachers pay and reduce the calibre of students entering teacher education programs. The system in the US demonstrates what could happen if we reduce teachers pay.

notabother wrote: »
    Im sick of all the teacher bashing.

Irish teachers attract some of the highest achieving students academically on the L.C.

Granted we pay our teachers realtively well in comparison to countries such as the UK and USA but their education system is suffering and they are struggling to improve standards.

Reduce teachers pay and reduce the calibre of students entering teacher education programs. The system in the US demonstrates what could happen if we reduce teachers pay.

Agree with you there, but not an issue.

issue is

56b out
    36b in

=-20b

thats the issue.

I understand your point, but i dont agree, yes of course there are many many jobs that pay over 60k many professions bet there are alot of degrees out there now, and not all of them have the same payscale as medicine, law and engineering

Well, we can agree to disagree, as it's not a point either of us will easily prove.

But I can't think of any of my friends from uni who are required to have a degree to do their job in the private sector that are earning less than 60k NOW, and I left uni for the first time about 10 years ago, and again 5 years ago. I'd expect those people to be on way more than 60k after 14 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

christ.

Do you not remember being in school

how many classes were you in were a teacher talked for 45 mins constantly every class?

you get lots of time during the day when people are actually doing work you can do other tasks.

come off it.

What complete BS. I have read for ages and had to stop myself from replying at times but ntbell, you are REALLY getting on my nerves!

I would only LOVE if I got the chance to designate work where I could sit on my arse and correct copies - save me taking them home at the weekend! However, it's impossible. No we don't talk for 45 minutes without stopping. If the children are working in groups/pair work, I'm going around, probing, investigating, listening, checking to see if they're talking about something on topic and not about Ronaldo's goal in the match last night. If they're doing silent written work, then I still go around and check what they're doing. Some of them will be unable to do the work independently. I don't even have a chair in my room to sit on because I don't sit! I think it's extreme bollox the rubbish you've spewed out. Also, to back up Dudess on the point about your sister saying it's possible to get work done during class - again, RUBBISH! If she's sitting on her arse whilst some children may be struggling with work or may need help with something, then SHAME ON HER!

Also, on another point, I'm only in my early career, but man I'm bummed out about this 60K I'm supposed to be earning. Will have to get onto the DES about this ASAP.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Here are the average wages from the Central Statistics Office, Ireland.

So read them and stop making sh1t up and complaining. God it's irritating.

do you agree with the strikes or not?
    I actually don't, but I still feel compelled to defend the profession in general. People who don't do a particular vocational job are in absolutely no position to make assumptions about how easy etc it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Done to death. Its already been established in this thread that those figures and hearsay are nonsense. Continue imagining those fihures if you like, but people who actually do work in teaching and should know what they do themselves have posted their figures here.

Where did you get yours?

Hearsay and nonsense to you despite the Dept of education compiling the bloody things
    bobbbb wrote:
    Well you wont get it if you cant manage your own career, thats for sure.
    If you're not even aware of what kind of money is to be earned in the private sector perhaps you are better off on the factory floor then.
    tallaght01 wrote:

Congratulations to both of you, you just insulted hundreds of thousands of people that possess degrees in the private sector as failures.
    Dudess wrote:

Then, what do they do with their paid time off? Enlighten us.

Just wonder what you do with your paid time off?

I actually don't, but I still feel compelled to defend the profession in general. People who don't do a particular vocational job are in absolutely no position to make assumptions about how easy etc it is.

Yes they are.

Taxpayers are not idiots .

If I pay for a service then I have every right to comment on how well or badly I feel the return is for my money.

Just wonder what you do with your paid time off?

I get 4 weeks off unlike you who gets at least 16 weeks off fixed and probably have been off over Easter.

That's no ones business. But I've been on antibiotics twice this year. So my time off is on my couch defending my job on boards.ie in between typing termly plans.

• Advertisement

I get 4 weeks off unlike you who gets at least 16 weeks off fixed and probably have been off over Easter.

I didnt ask how much time you get off just what you do with your paid time off

Taxpayers are idiots .

Wonder if you'd be so brave expressing your opinions at the local national school? I've an arrogant, conceited parent like you actually, is your kid in my class??

Don't take your bitterness out on us. Not our fault/problem that you don't get more time off. Pity about you.

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Don't take your bitterness out on us. Not our fault/problem that you don't get more time off. Pity about you.
    I didnt ask how much time you get off just what you do with your paid time off

So, ye do nothing on your months off regarding educating kids.

Then, absolute no reason not to strike over pay during that time instead of affecting 5yr olds in Sept.

Why should they do anything if they're not expected to? Not their fault there isn't something else they're required to do to fill the days off. Blame the system for that, not the teachers. And they do courses and prep for the following year.
    Yes they are.

Taxpayers are not idiots .

If I pay for a service then I have every right to comment on how well or badly I feel the return is for my money.
    Sure you do. You're not in any position however to comment on how easy a job is, when you don't do it.

Wonder if you'd be so brave expressing your opinions at the local national school? I've an arrogant, conceited prick of a parent parent like you actually, is your kid in my class??

Your manipulation of my quote tells me all I need to know about you,and your profession.;)

Hearsay and nonsense to you despite the Dept of education compiling the bloody things

Congratulations to both of you, you just insulted hundreds of thousands of people that possess degrees in the private sector as failures.

Well me, I was away in Spain, flew first class with Aer Lingus, stayed in a 5 star hotel [no less will do], dined out every evening, brought an extra bag home in luggage and splurged a couple of hundred euro on an expensive handbag [but it was like so worth it!]. I figured seeing as I'm on such a fantastic wage, and off for 2 weeks at Easter, I may as well spoil myself! Sure there's not long left until summer; won't be doing much work with the kids. Might them colouring for a while on Monday whilst I gossip with the teacher next door about how our holidays went!

Suppose I won't be so cheerful when my credit card bill comes though! But sure I got paid Thursday for 2 weeks of holidaying in Espagna so all's not lost with the world!!

So, ye do nothing on your months off regarding educating kids.

Then, absolute no reason not to strike over pay during that time instead of affecting 5yr olds in Sept.
    Why is just 5 year olds? ONE day of a strike is hardly going to effect a child's education that much. Jesus, I dearly hope you're not one of those parents who takes kids out of school during term for holidays just because they're cheaper now are you...........?

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Here are the average wages from the Central Statistics Office, Ireland.

So read them and stop making sh1t up and complaining. God it's irritating.

The point is that means/averages are only really relevant when you have bell shaped data, not when you have outliers as we obviously have here.

Why should they do anything if they're not expected to? Not their fault there isn't something else they're required to do to fill the days off. Blame the system for that, not the teachers. And they do courses and prep for the following year.

Sure you do. You're not in any position however to comment on how easy a job is, when you don't do it.
    Well me, I was away in Spain, flew first class with Aer Lingus, stayed in a 5 star hotel [no less will do], dined out every evening, brought an extra bag home in luggage and splurged a couple of hundred euro on an expensive handbag [but it was like so worth it!]. I figured seeing as I'm on such a fantastic wage, and off for 2 weeks at Easter, I may as well spoil myself! Sure there's not long left until summer; won't be doing much work with the kids. Might them colouring for a while on Monday whilst I gossip with the teacher next door about how our holidays went!

Suppose I won't be so cheerful when my credit card bill comes though! But sure I got paid Thursday for 2 weeks of holidaying in Espagna so all's not lost with the world!!

Nice synopsis.

Then strike in the summer instead of doing it in Sept if ye really cared about kids welfare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement