Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do the Teachers think they are fooling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I took a huge paycut to work in education cos its what i believed in.

Cool, so then it's a vocation for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

im so glad you take pleasure in my financial difficulties. I bought my house on the basis that i had a secure and reasonable repayment scheme. Since christmas Ive had 500eu knocked off my monthly income which has put me in difficulty. I took a huge paycut to work in education cos its what i believed in.

Hold on. You said you earned 37k. And now you say 6 grand has been knocked off your pay because of the budget.

2% income levy plus 4% health levy = 6%. 6% of 37k is €2,220

That does not add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

im so glad you take pleasure in my financial difficulties. I bought my house on the basis that i had a secure and reasonable repayment scheme. Since christmas Ive had 500eu knocked off my monthly income which has put me in difficulty. I took a huge paycut to work in education cos its what i believed in.

I don't take any pleasure in the fact you made poor financial decisions.

I just don't think i should pay the price for them nor should my daughter.

I'm sure you wouldn't be too impressed if I asked you to do the same for me?

right?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

gurramok wrote: »
    I'm all ears. I only get 4 weeks of the year to do stuff around the house, i don't get up to 16 weeks like teachers do. For example, what did you do during the 2 week Easter break?

Christmas only comes once, not for 3 months.

We've had teachers on this tread who said they did nothing and others saying they do grinds and now you're the only one who does courses so which is it for the majority lets say?

Anyway, you cannot find even an hour to protest during your time off on those long summer days?

Actually a lot of teachers do courses during their holidays but the geat thing about holidays is we are free to do what we want I choose courses but apparently you dont belive in the right to choose

Oh and re Easter holidays I do believe I answered you on another thread that it consisted of planning for the third term and reviewing what I have done already as well as a couple of visits to my class room and oh and yes having a life as teachers are allowed them, though for part of this Easter I have been on bed rest for medical reasons overdoing it and have done so to ensure I will be in good health returning to school on Monday so class dont have to be split up.

Oh I dont get 16 weeks either something I pointed out to you previously and as stated previously if you have such a hang up with your holidays read my previous suggestions to alter same and take them to HR

cobweb wrote: »
    Actually a lot of teachers do courses during their holidays but the geat thing about holidays is we are free to do what we want I choose courses but apparently you dont belive in the right to choose

Oh and re Easter holidays I do believe I answered you on another thread that it consisted of planning for the third term and reviewing what I have done already as well as a couple of visits to my class room and oh and yes having a life as teachers are allowed them, though for part of this Easter I have been on bed rest for medical reasons overdoing it and have done so to ensure I will be in good health returning to school on Monday so class dont have to be split up.

Oh I dont get 16 weeks either something I pointed out to you previously and as stated previously if you have such a hang up with your holidays read my previous suggestions to alter same and take them to HR

I asked you how many holidays you get and you did not answer. My holidays are lower than yours like everyone else in the private sector. Its standard 20-30 days per year for a private sector worker, not over 100 days for a teacher.

Not every teacher is out for medical reasons, you have to recover.

The others, well, they could of found strike time to air their grievances just like at the recent Union conferences in various destinations around the country.
    You see, there is plenty of time to strike but they chose to wait till when the kids are out of kindergarten and starting their first day at school in Sept.

• Advertisement

I asked you how many holidays you get and you did not answer. My holidays are lower than yours like everyone else in the private sector. Its standard 20-30 days per year for a private sector worker, not over 100 days for a teacher.

Not every teacher is out for medical reasons, you have to recover.

The others, well, they could of found strike time to air their grievances just like at the recent Union conferences in various destinations around the country.
    You see, there is plenty of time to strike but they chose to wait till when the kids are out of kindergarten and starting their first day at school in Sept.

Jeez you cant even quote yourself properly you didnt ask how many holidays I get, you asked what I did with them, which was answered. In a much earlier post you asked how many holidays I get and I believe i answered that I didnt need to tell you as you had been spouting on about how much holidays teachers get. You really are very bad at this as this isnt the first time I have had to aid your memory try using scroll button before posting.

I also said take your holidays problems up with HR like me you chose your job and have to take the holidays you get with that choice I worked in private sector and changed as I didnt like the mentality which is pretty evident here. You are obsessed with teacher holidays why dont you go for a career change if that is what you feel would imnprove your life.

I did notice that during your holidays you did not mention anything to improve your career perhaps you are one of those people who work in the private sector, who come in just on time and spend most of their day on the internet forums waiting for the clock to show hometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

the thing that annoys me most is that its the absolute worst teachers who are complaning...well thats how it is in my school!

I also said take your holidays problems up with HR like me you chose your job and have to take the holidays you get with that choice I worked in private sector and changed as I didnt like the mentality which is pretty evident here. You are obsessed with teacher holidays why dont you go for a career change if that is what you feel would imnprove your life.

That can equally be turned on the teachers

they chose their job they chose to work in the public sector

the bosses of the public sector can no longer afford to pay the same wages.

so they took that risk now they should get on with it?

or does choosing you job only suit you when it comes to holidays but not when it comes to pay cuts?

the thing that annoys me most is that its the absolute worst teachers who are complaning...well thats how it is in my school!

it's usually the bad teachers who are in it for the holidays and the fact they don't actually have to get results as it's impossible to fire full time teachers

where the good teachers are not there for the money and perks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

ntlbell wrote: »
    it's usually the bad teachers who are in it for the holidays and the fact they don't actually have to get results as it's impossible to fire full time teachers

yeh i guess thats it in a nutshell! there should be some form of regular assessment for teachers, and those who don't keep up with the pace should be let go - something that would make them actually value their job. All of these bright new teachers coming from college can't get jobs because some lazy teachers are occupying the positions - scandalous!

• Advertisement

Jeez you cant even quote yourself properly you didnt ask how many holidays I get, you asked what I did with them, which was answered. In a much earlier post you asked how many holidays I get and I believe i answered that I didnt need to tell you as you had been spouting on about how much holidays teachers get. You really are very bad at this as this isnt the first time I have had to aid your memory try using scroll button before posting.

I did ask you and basically you said, 'i'm not telling you how many'

How can i scroll back for a non-existent post?

I'm not here moaning about my pay despite my paycut and tax rises, i'm criticising those that strike over pay despite having pay of €60k which has been proved officially.
    I did notice that during your holidays you did not mention anything to improve your career perhaps you are one of those people who work in the private sector, who come in just on time and spend most of their day on the internet forums waiting for the clock to show hometime.

LOL, nice generalisations there. I study in the evenings, not on my hols. a teacher has over 100days hols and it is crazy to think they could not find a single protest day?

Maybe i am unemployed and wish i had a fraction of that €60k to feed my family?

yeh i guess thats it in a nutshell! there should be some form of regular assessment for teachers, and those who don't keep up with the pace should be let go - something that would make them actually value their job. All of these bright new teachers coming from college can't get jobs because some lazy teachers are occupying the positions - scandalous!

the biggest problem with the assessment is how do you asses them

if you do it on results, you'll probably notice that schools results suddenly go through the roof and everyone's now magically getting A's/B's

I think it was in California or somewhere like that and they found that the teachers themselves were correcting and changing answers for students so they would get the high scores.

It's a very hard thing to asses fairly :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

In the private sector there are plenty of good workers who are just in it for the money and the perks. I would imagine it is probably similar for the public sector.

In the private sector there are plenty of good workers who are just in it for the money and the perks. I would imagine it is probably similar for the public sector.

That's a fascinating insight there bollocko.

Irrelevant, but fascinating all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

So because you bought an overpriced house without doing any stress testing you're left short

so you want the public coffers to give you a hand?

you're joking right?

I don't believe what I'm hearing.

You're not under financial pressures because of the levy's your under financial pressure because of what sounds like shockingly bad financial planning.

the truth of this problem is starting to surface
    you guys really suck, I dont have words to deal with you , whats your angle, **** things are happening to nice people. **** you all ( im sure ill get banned for that). You u self righteous ****s

you guys really suck, I dont have words to deal with you , whats your angle, **** things are happening to nice people. **** you all ( im sure ill get banned for that). You u self righteous ****s

Hold on, i wished you well?:confused:
    me wrote:
    Don't worry anyway, your pay will increase on the teachers pay scales every year so you should be comfy.

I'm still waiting for an answer to this:
    me wrote:
    Hold on. You said you earned 37k. And now you say 6 grand has been knocked off your pay because of the budget.

2% income levy plus 4% health levy = 6%. 6% of 37k is €2,220

That does not add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mr. Croft

Im very likely going to be on the dole in July through no fault of my own All you moany bitch teachers with permanent jobs, generous holidays and pensions can bite the back of my ballsack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I have no sympathy for teachers. I know many and there is not one who are on the breadline or struggling to make ends meet to the same degree that most private sector workers do. If they can make the money magically appear to give them the earnings they want I would be more than happy to give it to them. The bottom line is there is there is no money there to pay them. Do I think that teachers deserve more for simply being teachers? No I do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

[Possibly the winner of the most idiotic and pathetic comment I've read on this thread so far, and there have been many contenders!!

[Possibly the winner of the most idiotic and pathetic comment I've read on this thread so far, and there have been many contenders!!

Which one?

One fella is going on the dole and yet teachers are moaning over a tiny drop in their 60kpa pay!

• Advertisement

I dunno, a teacher not being able to do simple % math has to be a contender?

Who says I can't do my percentages??

Which one?

One fella is going on the dole and yet teachers are moaning over a tiny drop in their 60kpa pay!

I think this one wins for continued ignorance of fact that 60K average does not represent reality for teachers esp. considering 50% of teachers in primary schools are under 35 they definately arent getting 60K and you the one to whine about making generalisations. :rolleyes:

Who says I can't do my percentages??

I didn't say you did i?

I think this one wins for continued ignorance of fact that 60K average does not represent reality for teachers esp. considering 50% of teachers in primary schools are under 35 they definately arent getting 60K and you the one to whine about making generalisations. :rolleyes:

teachers who can't understand % math now ones that don't get averages.

I'm pretty worried about the future of the education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

well its not like you need an IQ test to be a teacher.

ah sure dont worry as I know you will be there to guide us with your ignorant comments on teaching.

ah sure dont worry as I know you will be there to guide us with your ignorant comments on teaching.

I could offer you some grinds on my holidays? ;)

I could offer you some grinds on my holidays? ;)
    But that's only for 4 weeks, what would we do for the other 12 weeks of holidays we get???

• Advertisement

But that's only for 4 weeks, what would we do for the other 12 weeks of holidays we get???

rent out your colleagues holiday home in Croatia? i hear she could do with the rent?

The Dept of Education says otherwise. Ring (01) 889 6400 and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Another chance for people to get on their soapbox and moan about the teachers!

It gets old and repetitive.

The three reasons I teach:
    1.June
    2.July
    3.August

Ya ya ya.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭I'lllearnye

I i'm criticising those that strike over pay despite having pay of €60k which has been proved officially.

'Proved officially'? This reminds me of the 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' story the American government fed their people so they'd have a 'reason' to invade Iraq. Substitute '60k a year' for 'Weapons of Mass Destruction', and 'complain about teachers' for 'invade Iraq'.
    In other words, I don't earn 60k a year.

'Proved officially'? This reminds me of the 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' story the American government fed their people so they'd have a 'reason' to invade Iraq. Substitute '60k a year' for 'Weapons of Mass Destruction', and 'complain about teachers' for 'invade Iraq'.
    In other words, I don't earn 60k a year.

The ring the number to find out why or as another teacher poster said, get onto HR as to why you aren't pulling in 60k.:)

The Dept of Education says otherwise. Ring (01) 889 6400 and let us know how you get on.

why dont you ring them to get your facts right as you stated it has to do with salary and allowances and as I pointed out you have to be in the job a long while to earn such money and since 50% of teachers are under 35 I doubt they are earning this much, more so they are like me in the 30-40K bracket and I am 38 but why let reality stand in the way of a good moan from yourself.

And before you start in no post have I stated I get paid badly or consider this a bad wage.

• Advertisement

The ring the number to find out why or as another teacher poster said, get onto HR as to why you aren't pulling in 60k.:)

No such thing as HR in schools, this merely highlights how little you know about teaching.
    And I'm glad to see that you think my job is worth 60k, even with all the scandalous holidays we're getting. (maybe you should get onto HR about your holidays-seems to be a contentious issue with you)

why dont you ring them to get your facts right as you stated it has to do with salary and allowances and as I pointed out you have to be in the job a long while to earn such money and since 50% of teachers are under 35 I doubt they are earning this much, more so they are like me in the 30-40K bracket and I am 38 but why let reality stand in the way of a good moan from yourself.

Why should I?

I don't have a problem with official figures, you do.

How do you know 50% of teachers are under 35? Source?
    cobweb wrote:
    And before you start in no post have I stated I get paid badly or consider this a bad wage.

Good to hear. 60k for your colleagues must be gigantic :D

average, average, average salary is 60k

do we keep having to go over this? he didn't say YOU were on 60k

the depeartment of edu doesn't state COBWEB is on 60k

it states the avg earnings for a teacher are 60k

average..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mr. Croft

A guaranteed 30 - 40 K for life until a cushy pension sounds like a pretty sweeet deal to me and probably a lot of others, ESPECIALLY with all the holidays.

You can claim you prepare mark exams during the holidays but most people dont believe it, if that was the case why not make it official and go to the school during july/august you could help lower performing kids and prepare lessons.

No such thing as HR in schools, this merely highlights how little you know about teaching.
    And I'm glad to see that you think my job is worth 60k, even with all the scandalous holidays we're getting. (maybe you should get onto HR about your holidays-seems to be a contentious issue with you)

Err, a teacher poster here was stating HR. Then get onto their equivalent in teaching, there must be someone to talk to, the principal? :p

My holidays are not an issue, its the teachers 100+day holidays that are when they cannot protest during them.

I never said 60k was their worth, i have said they were overpaid at 60k

• Advertisement

average, average, average salary is 60k

do we keep having to go over this? he didn't say YOU were on 60k

the depeartment of edu doesn't state COBWEB is on 60k

it states the avg earnings for a teacher are 60k

average..
    Yet not one teacher who's posted on this thread has said that they're on 60k a year. Doesn't say much for this magical 'average', does it?

Why should I?

I don't have a problem with official figures, you do.

How do you know 50% of teachers are under 35? Source?

Todays Irish Times Pg 13

actual quote "...close to 50% of the 60,000 teaching force are under 35."

Err, a teacher poster here was stating HR. Then get onto their equivalent in teaching, there must be someone to talk to, the principal? :p

My holidays are not an issue, its the teachers 100+day holidays that are when they cannot protest during them.

Can you show me please where we get 100+ days??? Or is that just secondary teachers you're attacking??

Yet not one teacher who's posted on this thread has said that they're on 60k a year. Doesn't say much for this magical 'average', does it?

Imagine that, not one.

I guess the one's on 60k are out on a Saturday night?

none admitted to owning a holiday home eithier..

bizarre isn't it

Todays Irish Times Pg 13

so we can quote the times for the avg age but if they print the average wage it can't be believed.

i see how this is now

Todays Irish Times Pg 13

Online link?
    Can you show me please where we get 100+ days??? Or is that just secondary teachers you're attacking??

Summer + Easter + Xmas hols + god knows how many mid-terms.

And I've said I don't get paid 60k. Your argument is based on this figure of 60k, and I haven't seen any other teacher posting here saying that they get 60k a year.
    Protesting during the holidays is the same as the proverbial 'pissing against the wind'. Regardless, most teachers I work with don't want to go on strike. I must reiterate that this is information I got from actually talking to other teachers, and not a soundbite I heard on Joe Duffy.

Imagine that, not one.

bizarre isn't it
    I don't know any teachers that own a holiday home... some do house swaps...

Plus there's many a person out there in other professions that own 2 or 3 houses, don't be always having a gripe at teachers! Think this has been dragged WAY off topic anyway.

Online link?

buy paper or google it yourself you're educated

Imagine that, not one.

bizarre isn't it
    I don't own a holiday home

And imagine that, out on a Saturday night! And the poor, private sector workers in counting their pennies :pac: yeah right!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement