Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do the Teachers think they are fooling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 longroad

Firstly I do not want to write this to complain but just to say that the holiday home in another country is more of the exception than the rule. I am a teacher (hope that doesn't mean that I am instantly hated by some here). I decided I wanted to be a teacher from an early age, before salary figures, pensions and jobs for life, i completed five years in college. I have been teaching in secondary schools for more than 5 years now.

At the beginning I had to move around schools for work and it has become more stable in the past year or two. At the beginning of the year my salary was about 40,000, i haven't looked at figures much since. I live at home with my parents as i couldn't afford to rent in the beginning. I have not bought a car recently (in the last 6 years) and I do not own a house (in any country). My parents have both been made redundant- neither had brilliant jobs in the first place. Of my three sibling two are in college and one has just started a new job after being laid off from the last one.

This is the reality for a lot of families I know. I struggle to live and pay off college loans, maintain my family on the 600 euro that i get a week but i know it could be worse. I love my job and the kids and the holidays which i only started getting paid for last year are great. I am on a contract like hundreds, if not thousands of teachers in Ireland, that ends in August and my school can choose to rehire me or not- depending on numbers etc. My job is not secure in any way and I am well aware of it each time someone says a "job for life". :(

I do not mind paying a levy, its the least i can do when I still have a job I love. I do hope that people see that the large salary and permanent position aren't the reality for all teachers just the very established. I hope I didn't come across as complaining too much... just telling my story.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't own a holiday home

And imagine that, out on a Saturday night! And the poor, private sector workers in counting their pennies :pac: yeah right!!

I was just after breaking open the piggy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And I've said I don't get paid 60k. Your argument is based on this figure of 60k, and I haven't seen any other teacher posting here saying that they get 60k a year.

Are they telling the truth though?

The Dept of Education suggests you know what.
    Protesting during the holidays is the same as the proverbial 'pissing against the wind'. Regardless, most teachers I work with don't want to go on strike. I must reiterate that this is information I got from actually talking to other teachers, and not a soundbite I heard on Joe Duffy.

Its not pissing against the wind, they have plenty of time to protest outside Dail Eireann on their long summer break.

Good to hear you are against striking. Sounds like your union is not taking on your schools concerns.

cobweb wrote: »
    buy paper or google it yourself you're educated

No. Its up to you to provide the link as you mentioned the figure as hearsay first.
    Maybe i had a bad teacher that is still in employment? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

gurramok wrote: »
    Online link?

Summer + Easter + Xmas hols + god knows how many mid-terms.
    Doesn't equal 100+ days m'dear. We work 183 school days [primary]. Also allowing us 2 days per working week off [as other jobs get] = 104, which in a year of 365 days leaves us with 78 days holidays. Okay so most professions only get 20 days, but as I said previously, the extra holidays are part of our package. The same as the snotty kids, cranky parents, naughty children, complaints etc in the life of being a teacher. GET OVER IT.

I'm swiftly reminded that "Oooh nobody said teachers have it easy" but that's exactly what's being said. We don't deserve the holidays we get. We should work through the summer. Give up our days off to go strike. The answer is NO we shouldn't. Many teachers didn't vote for industrial action as the first port of call. The union has f*cked up a little bit there. Don't take your jealous and ignorance out on people who are trying to make a difference.

I don't know any teachers that own a holiday home... some do house swaps...

Plus there's many a person out there in other professions that own 2 or 3 houses, don't be always having a gripe at teachers! Think this has been dragged WAY off topic anyway.

ah but their not out on strike refusing to teach the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

longroad wrote: »
    Firstly I do not want to write this to complain but just to say that the holiday home in another country is more of the exception than the rule. I am a teacher (hope that doesn't mean that I am instantly hated by some here). I decided I wanted to be a teacher from an early age, before salary figures, pensions and jobs for life, i completed five years in college. I have been teaching in secondary schools for more than 5 years now.

At the beginning I had to move around schools for work and it has become more stable in the past year or two. At the beginning of the year my salary was about 40,000, i haven't looked at figures much since. I live at home with my parents as i couldn't afford to rent in the beginning. I have not bought a car recently (in the last 6 years) and I do not own a house (in any country). My parents have both been made redundant- neither had brilliant jobs in the first place. Of my three sibling two are in college and one has just started a new job after being laid off from the last one.

This is the reality for a lot of families I know. I struggle to live and pay off college loans, maintain my family on the 600 euro that i get a week but i know it could be worse. I love my job and the kids and the holidays which i only started getting paid for last year are great. I am on a contract like hundreds, if not thousands of teachers in Ireland, that ends in August and my school can choose to rehire me or not- depending on numbers etc. My job is not secure in any way and I am well aware of it each time someone says a "job for life". :(

I do not mind paying a levy, its the least i can do when I still have a job I love. I do hope that people see that the large salary and permanent position aren't the reality for all teachers just the very established. I hope I didn't come across as complaining too much... just telling my story.:o

Unfortunately youre just pissing against the wind telling your story here as this is a teacher bashing thread and has nothing to do with the realities of teaching as stated by myself and other teachers. they are only interested if you earn 60K and have a holiday home. None of the teachers I have read here have objected to the levies but that doesnt matter either and some have also stated how themselves and colleagues dont want to strike but none of that matters still thanks for sharing

Its not pissing against the wind, they have plenty of time to protest outside Dail Eireann on their long summer break.

Good to hear you are against striking. Sounds like your union is not taking on your schools concerns.

No. Its up to you to provide the link as you mentioned the figure as hearsay first.
    Also, can I just add, secondary teachers do not have a very secure position at all - particularly the younger ones starting out. It takes months of looking [as 2 of my friends had to do] and disappointment as others got jobs [this was last year]. They managed to secure a substitute position of maternity leave, one of which started only in Feb with her job, and the other is finishing in 2 weeks with his job. I think before people throw insults around, they should at least learn the facts first. Admittedly, with primary, it seems to be more straightforward; a contract is either substitute/temporary/permanent. Secondary jobs are NOT secure until you are a well established teacher.

ntlbell wrote: »

Can I ask but when the nurses went on strike were you one of the people going yahh boo hiss evil nurses abandoning patients?

Unfortunately youre just pissing against the wind telling your story here as this is a teacher bashing thread and has nothing to do with the realities of teaching as stated by myself and other teachers. they are only interested if you earn 60K and have a holiday home. None of the teachers I have read here have objected to the levies but that doesnt matter either and some have also stated how themselves and colleagues dont want to strike but none of that matters still thanks for sharing

can you tell us more about the voting process?

who votes to go on strike? do the actual teachers vote or is certain parts of the union? excuse my ignorance on unions

• Advertisement

And neither are teachers for the moment...... am gobsmacked you're so resilient over ONE day that may not even happen! You mean your daughter has never stayed a day off school [pulled a sickie], been too tired, holiday?? Come on, tellin a few fibs me thinks :)

Doesn't equal 100+ days m'dear. We work 183 school days [primary]. Also allowing us 2 days per working week off [as other jobs get] = 104, which in a year of 365 days leaves us with 78 days holidays. Okay so most professions only get 20 days, but as I said previously, the extra holidays are part of our package. The same as the snotty kids, cranky parents, naughty children, complaints etc in the life of being a teacher. GET OVER IT.

Can you split those alleged 78days down between Summer + Easter + Xmas hols + mid-terms?

It shouldn't be hard to do. :)
    I'm swiftly reminded that "Oooh nobody said teachers have it easy" but that's exactly what's being said. We don't deserve the holidays we get. We should work through the summer. Give up our days off to go strike. The answer is NO we shouldn't. Many teachers didn't vote for industrial action as the first port of call. The union has f*cked up a little bit there. Don't take your jealous and ignorance out on people who are trying to make a difference.

Hold on. Your union represents you and your colleagues and your union recommends strike action so there must be majority support for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭I'lllearnye

Ask them yourself if they're telling the truth, you seem to want everyone else to do the running around for ye!
    I'm not in a union.
    As for striking during summer, it's like bus drivers striking at four in the morning....what effect is it going to have? The reason that people strike is because they want what they're saying to be heard. Everyone has their own opinion on whether striking is right or not, but saying teachers should strike during the holidays doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And neither are teachers for the moment...... am gobsmacked you're so resilient over ONE day that may not even happen! You mean your daughter has never stayed a day off school [pulled a sickie], been too tired, holiday?? Come on, tell a few fibs me thinks :)

Not on my watch teacher.

it's not one day they stated "rolling" strikes that doesn't suggest one day to me? what does "rolling" mean?

Also, can I just add, secondary teachers do not have a very secure position at all - particularly the younger ones starting out. It takes months of looking [as 2 of my friends had to do] and disappointment as others got jobs [this was last year]. They managed to secure a substitute position of maternity leave, one of which started only in Feb with her job, and the other is finishing in 2 weeks with his job. I think before people throw insults around, they should at least learn the facts first. Admittedly, with primary, it seems to be more straightforward; a contract is either substitute/temporary/permanent. Secondary jobs are NOT secure until you are a well established teacher.

Yes, its the permo's you should have gripes with over their 60kpa pay, not the critics.
    And neither are teachers for the moment...... am gobsmacked you're so resilient over ONE day that may not even happen! You mean your daughter has never stayed a day off school [pulled a sickie], been too tired, holiday?? Come on, tellin a few fibs me thinks :)

Ah come on, you cannot compare a child's welfare to that of a teacher? :eek:

Ask them yourself if they're telling the truth, you seem to want everyone else to do the running around for ye!
    I'm not in a union.
    As for striking during summer, it's like bus drivers striking at four in the morning....what effect is it going to have? The reason that people strike is because they want what they're saying to be heard. Everyone has there own opinion on whether striking is right or not, but saying teachers should strike during the holidays doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

teachers claim the kids wont be affected

your saying if you strike in the summer months no one will be affected

so how can you have an affect and not affect the kids at the same time?

it's one or the other

• Advertisement

but saying teachers should strike during the holidays doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

read his posts none of them make sense they are just fule of bile and ignorance guramok is not interested in reality just in spouting bitterness. Also take into account that this stuff is posted in After hours which is the piss take section of boards so she/he is probably just a wind up merchant

I'm not in a union.
    As for striking during summer, it's like bus drivers striking at four in the morning....what effect is it going to have? The reason that people strike is because they want what they're saying to be heard. Everyone has their own opinion on whether striking is right or not, but saying teachers should strike during the holidays doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

No comparison at all. Bus drivers don't drive at 4am and teachers don't work at 4am.
    Bus drivers don't get a huge summer hols. Teachers have huge summer hols to have their voice 'to be heard' in a protest any time of the day for the public to notice.

read his posts none of them make sense they are just fule of bile and ignorance guramok is not interested in reality just in spouting bitterness. Also take into account that this stuff is posted in After hours which is the piss take section of boards so she/he is probably just a wind up merchant

He's taken the urine?

People on 60k with holiday homes moaning about not been able to keep up mortgage repayments on investment properties

that's taken the urine.

Boo hoo!

My posts are intelligent and make sense, thank you!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bvT-DGcWw

teachers claim the kids wont be affected

your saying if you strike in the summer months no one will be affected

so how can you have an affect and not affect the kids at the same time?

it's one or the other
    They won't be affected in the long run, but they'll be affected enough for the short term to get parents p*ssed off about it! I don't think a strike will happen anyway.
    Also, I have no idea what you mean by "rolling"...??

To answer gurramok's queries:
    I realise the majority vote by the INTO was in favour of industrial action, but we were led to believe this was a LAST RESORT. It was thought that it would be used as a threat rather than action. If teachers were asked to vote again, I can guarantee you, the answer would be NO. We were encouraged to vote yes to force the government into talks; none of us thought it would have to be actually carried out. I agree, there's always a chance but still.

Also, I do not wish to distribute the 78 days no. You're very quick with your calculations, averages, percentages and what not so I think you can work it out for yourself. I wouldn't be a very good teacher if I just handed you the answer on a plate you know - this is what discovery learning is all about :)

• Advertisement

He's taken the urine?

People on 60k with holiday homes moaning about not been able to keep up mortgage repayments on investment properties

that's taken the urine.

None of them people are here and there are plenty in other professions such as private sector in similar circumstances giving out blue murder when i am talking to them but lets not mention them as this is the teacher bashing thread

But lets sum up all your points
    teachers get 60K false generalisation
    teachers get summer holidays during which a lot do courses and prepare for upcoming year
    teachers own holiday homes closest i have come is a 3 man tent

They won't be affected in the long run, but they'll be affected enough for the short term to get parents p*ssed off about it! I don't think a strike will happen anyway.

Well the union said they were going to engage in rolling strikes so i'm asking you what that means?

But even the threat of it is getting parents p*ssed of at the teachers not the government?

do you not listen to the radio? their podcasted now so you can listen on your 78 days off :p

I realise the majority vote by the INTO was in favour of industrial action, but we were led to believe this was a LAST RESORT. It was thought that it would be used as a threat rather than action. If teachers were asked to vote again, I can guarantee you, the answer would be NO. We were encouraged to vote yes to force the government into talks; none of us thought it would have to be actually carried out. I agree, there's always a chance but still.

this was mentioned earlier but he chose to ignore it as it doesnt fit in with his argument

None of them people are here and there are plenty in other professions such as private sector in similar circumstances giving out blue murder when i am talking to them but lets not mention them as this is the teacher bashing thread

But lets sum up all your points
    teachers get 60K false generalisation
    teachers get summer holidays during which a lot do courses and prepare for upcoming year
    teachers own holiday homes closest i have come is a 3 man tent

teachers wouldn't strike to get better conditions for the kids.

but hit their pockets and they all jump.

teachers are going to affect kids education instead of protesting during there 78 days holidays which they get paid for

the average teacher earns 60k and can afford the levy

The levys are the same across all public sectors but teachers feel they shouldn't have to pay them etc

rolling strikes (which target a succession of employer sites, making it difficult for the employer to hire replacements because the strike’s location is always changing).

Is that it???

Also, I do not wish to distribute the 78 days no. You're very quick with your calculations, averages, percentages and what not so I think you can work it out for yourself. I wouldn't be a very good teacher if I just handed you the answer on a plate you know - this is what discovery learning is all about :)
    I'll help you:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/primary-and-post-primary-education/attendance-and-discipline-in-schools/school_terms_in_primary_and_postprimary

Oct break- 5days
    Xmas -8 days
    Feb break - 2 days
    Easter - 10 days

total = 25days

Now that summer break, how long is it?

rolling strikes (which target a succession of employer sites, making it difficult for the employer to hire replacements because the strike’s location is always changing).

Is that it???

ah ok, glad that's cleared up.

teachers wouldn't strike to get better conditions for the kids.

but hit their pockets and they all jump.

teachers are going to affect kids education instead of protesting during there 78 days holidays which they get paid for

the average teacher earns 60k and can afford the levy

The levys are the same across all public sectors but teachers feel they shouldn't have to pay them etc

Amazing that its been pointed out to you numerous times that teachers voted for action upto and including strike but they didnt want to strike, have not yet had a strike and were stunned when the unions first move was strike action and were very relieved when it was called off a few weeks ago.

Also there is a history of teachers protesting for childrens educational rights and teachers i have spoken to dont mind the levys as has been said here but sure just ignore the voices of those you criticise

I'll help you:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/primary-and-post-primary-education/attendance-and-discipline-in-schools/school_terms_in_primary_and_postprimary

Oct break- 5days
    Xmas -8 days
    Feb break - 2 days
    Easter - 10 days

total = 25days

still hung up on holidays:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

My posts are intelligent and make sense

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!

That has to be the funniest post on this whole thread!!

• Advertisement

Amazing that its been pointed out to you numerous times that teachers voted for action upto and including strike but they didnt want to strike, have not yet had a strike and were stunned when the unions first move was strike action and were very relieved when it was called off a few weeks ago.

Also there is a history of teachers protesting for childrens educational rights and teachers i have spoken to dont mind the levys as has been said here but sure just ignore the voices of those you criticise

this is the problem they "protest" for the rights

but "strike" for their own pockets

so they basically get off their arse when it's hurting them.

still hung up on holidays:rolleyes::D

Well, its impossible to get a direct answer to that question, i wonder why!

If they take July & August off, thats 62 days so add to that 25, that makes 87 days hols and then add the 'discretionary days' which is a mystery.

Seco get an extra 16 days off than Primary schools, the amount of days off just piles up.

Its pushing on nearly 100 days unless a teacher can prove otherwise?

Get out that crayon!!:D

I'll help you:

Oct break- 5days
    Xmas -8 days
    Feb break - 2 days
    Easter - 10 days

total = 25days

23 more in July, and 20 [21 or 19, depending on when schools go back in September] so altogether that gives....... 25+23+20= 78. It's not that difficult to subtract 25 from 78 is it....

They can't afford them :pac:

Well, its impossible to get a direct answer to that question, i wonder why!

If they take July & August off, thats 62 days so add to that 25, that makes 87 days hols and then add the 'discretionary days' which is a mystery.

Seco get an extra 16 days off than Primary schools, the amount of days off just piles up.

Its pushing on nearly 100 days unless a teacher can prove otherwise?

hahaha see my above post!! Discretionary days are of a maximum of 5 in whole year. These are given for courses you do during the summer and pay for them. Unforunately, whilst you're rambling on about the great holidays of a teacher, we can't decide we want a day off and then catch up on our work again, or stay back late at the office to compensate. These discretionary days are for days that we may need off outside of school holidays - family wedding, funeral etc.

hahaha see my above post!! Discretionary days are of a maximum of 5 in whole year. These are given for courses you do during the summer and pay for them. Unforunately, whilst you're rambling on about the great holidays of a teacher, we can't decide we want a day off and then catch up on our work again, or stay back late at the office to compensate. These discretionary days are for days that we may need off outside of school holidays - family wedding, funeral etc.

you get time off for a family wedding? wtf?

23 more in July, and 20 [21 or 19, depending on when schools go back in September] so altogether that gives....... 25+23+20= 78. It's not that difficult to subtract 25 from 78 is it....

Its like getting blood from a stone to get the total.!

Ah yes, the weekends, forgot about them, fair enuff.

So 78 + how many discretionary days?

Have you added in bank hols as i have not! :D:D

you get time off for a family wedding? wtf?
    I know many people who can pull sickies if they don't fancy going in, or perhaps arrange to stay back late and catch up on work if they want a day off later on [in other professions] so yes, a teacher has 3 - 5 days [provided they do one of the DES approved courses] to take off during the year for situations like I said that occur outside of school holidays. Anyway, I refuse to comment any longer on this thread as I feel it has run its course and the same thing is being spouted over and over by two that are as thick as thieves! Bedtime calls!

So thats 83 + 5 + 8 bank hols = 96 days of Mon-Fri on which to hold protests.:eek:

Plenty of time there instead of using precious toddler days in Sept where there are no teacher holiday breaks.

• Advertisement

Its like getting blood from a stone to get the total.!

Ah yes, the weekends, forgot about them, fair enuff.

So 78 + how many discretionary days?

Have you added in bank hols as i have not! :D:D
    Well everyone gets them so that's not really the issue here....useless point to make really

So thats 83 + 5 + 8 bank hols = 96 days of Mon-Fri on which to hold protests.:eek:

Plenty of time there instead of using precious toddler days in Sept where there are no teacher holiday breaks.
    The 5 is a MAXIMUM! Not all teachers get them! Plus they're worked for by doing a course so that cancels them out. And we were at 78 not 83...... Also, EVERYONE gets a bank holiday allowance, but I wasn't griping about that in the 20 days standard holiday year was I? Also did you allow for some of those bank holidays occuring in the holidays you already counted - for example Easter and October?? Probably not! Lol :D

Might be more beneficial to spend time with your toddler instead of online....
    I'm off, ciao! :D:D

The 5 is a MAXIMUM! Not all teachers get them! Plus they're worked for by doing a course so that cancels them out. And we were at 78 not 83...... Also, EVERYONE gets a bank holiday allowance, but I wasn't griping about that in the 20 days standard holiday year was I? Also did you allow for some of those bank holidays occuring in the holidays you already counted - for example Easter and October?? Probably not! Lol :D

I'm not going on strike. The discussion is which days teachers can go on strike and we counted 96 weekly days for that protest.
    Might be more beneficial to spend time with your toddler instead of online....
    I'm off, ciao! :D:D

Can't, the tears are flowing because of missing vital education in Sept for the sake of a tiny drop from the 60k earnings of the teacher!

I'm not going on strike. The discussion is which days teachers can go on strike and we counted 96 weekly days for that protest.

Can't, the tears are flowing because of missing vital education in Sept for the sake of a tiny drop from the 60k earnings of the teacher!

yours or the toddlers at the prospect of spending more time together if your babysitters go on strike:D but its nice to know you let the tears happen rather then tend to them:D

yours or the toddlers at the prospect of spending more time together if your babysitters go on strike:D but its nice to know you let the tears happen rather then tend to them:D

The babysitter doesn't earn 60k and needs all the dosh but wishes to earn 60k to do those facepainting lessons :D :P

• Advertisement

The babysitter doesn't earn 60k and needs all the dosh but wishes to earn 60k to do those facepainting lessons :D :P

can they just google face painting:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Just wonder what you do with your paid time off?

He probably does nothing.
    Hence Gurramoks prejudice against teachers. Actually hes prejusiced against most people from what i can see. Just had a look at his other posts on boards. Did you see the times he posts at during the week. ANd look at the amount of his posts. He must never work.
    He wouldnt be on boards that much if he was a teacher. Thats for sure. Or even if he had a job that required proper work.

The private sector is great for goofing off surfing the net.

Your right, the person who wants to not teach my daughter to line her own pockets i should belive and ignore my daughter..

that's that mystery solved my child is now also a liar

Sorry, I should have known this and not brough the issue up

i'll crawl back into my box now and try and teach my daughter the difference between right and wrong while you go on strike.

My daughter told me there was a fairy in the living room last week.
    LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Is cobweb a teacher?

Dudess wrote: »
    BubbleWrap, spurious, Lil Kitten, D4RK ONION and cobweb, I wouldn't bother - gurramok, ntlbell, omahaid and FlutterinBantam will only pick up on and twist the bits that suit their argument regarding this profession they're not in.

Very true. You only have to search their other posts. The times posted on workdays are interesting too.

For example. Have a look at the times what Gurramok posts on work days (incidentally theres a lot of hate in that boy too).
    You'd wonder why he even takes a wage from his employer and not from boards instead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=6343448

They must have great jobs to allow that much time off to read and respond to posts on all sorts of subjects. I have to work during my day. So do the people i manage. I wouldnt have time to post during working hours unless i was off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement