Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do the Teachers think they are fooling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

Colored fonts were an error. Look I'm 38. Earn 52k. Are you honestly telling me professionals with five years of relevant college earn only that at 38? Yes I know I have a lot of time off but realistically I cant pay my ESB bill with my Easter break. You can get temp work but even during boom -who would hire you for a few weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Badboy1977 wrote: »
    Colored fonts were an error. Look I'm 38. Earn 52k. Are you honestly telling me professionals with five years of relevant college earn only that at 38? Yes I know I have a lot of time off but realistically I cant pay my ESB bill with my Easter break. You can get temp work but even during boom -who would hire you for a few weeks?

:confused:

Sorry Buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

52k and a pension as good as you will find anywhere else in the world for a similar position, for 7 months work. Job guarantee....yes i think youre doing quite well for a 38 year old.

You earn significantly more than your equivalent in the UK, perhaps if you and your colleagues all agreed to take a pay cut and bring your pay in line with teachers in the UK we could use the savings generated to reduce class sizes etc.

What says you?

damo wrote: »
    52k and a pension as good as you will find anywhere else in the world for a similar position, for 7 months work. Job guarantee....yes i think youre doing quite well for a 38 year old.

You earn significantly more than your equivalent in the UK, perhaps if you and your colleagues all agreed to take a pay cut and bring your pay in line with teachers in the UK we could use the savings generated to reduce class sizes etc.

What says you?

Ah the old chestnut of 7 months. A bit simplistic that argument. I cant pay for stuff with my time off now can I? Already dealt with this point so please at least do me the courtesy of reading what I wrote. Please

As for the UK thing. Why not pick Greece or anywhere? UK system is not an esteemed one plus they have a constant problem with recruitment. Why-crap pay and crap conditions. ALL Irish Salaries are higher than UK-please tell me that is not news to you? As for your class sizes jibe-give me a break. Irish Education was chronically underfunded since inception of state. Even when teacher salaries were much lower!

What do you do-lets compare your salary with your UK equivalent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

52k is not "only that". 52k is a lot of ****ing money - more than many/most will ever earn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I cant pay for stuff with my time off now can I?

No but you can work for the months you do have off and earn more money to pay for stuff.

Us in the private sector don't have that luxury.

Honest to God some of you are worse than kids for the simplistic arguments. Sure you can earn extra over the summer but you are limited in that capacity. Not many employers are willing to hire a person for just a few weeks or even two months.

Buddy, do you think people here are fools.

I would quit now before you show yourself up further.

You don't fool John Q. Taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Ah the old chestnut of 7 months. A bit simplistic that argument. I cant pay for stuff with my time off now can I? Already dealt with this point so please at least do me the courtesy of reading what I wrote. Please

As for the UK thing. Why not pick Greece or anywhere? UK system is not an esteemed one plus they have a constant problem with recruitment. Why-crap pay and crap conditions. ALL Irish Salaries are higher than UK-please tell me that is not news to you? As for your class sizes jibe-give me a break. Irish Education was chronically underfunded since inception of state. Even when teacher salaries were much lower!

What do you do-lets compare your salary with your UK equivalent?

I work for Ryanair - it doesnt get much more private sector than that. My UK equivalent earns the exact same amount as i do because we both live in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

First off, replace the words 'a few weeks' with 'a few months'.
    You may not be able to pay your ESB bill with your ~3 months or so of Summer holidays.
    What you certainly can do is take a second job for these ~3 months to top up your measly 52k.

Here's a couple of examples of how teachers work throughout the summer.
    • Teaching foreign students in Summer schools.
    • Marking and Invigilating exams.
    • Labouring on building sites etc.
    I know of one teacher who used to go to London every Summer to work as a labourer to top up
    their wages to the tune of £400STG per week (off the books).

You seem to be trying to say that your ridiculously long holidays can't be interpreted as a benefit in kind of sorts.
    They can, and that's not to mention all the extra time that you have in the evenings compared to normal 9-5ers.

FlutterinBantam talks a load of shlte (pun intended) but he's 100% spot on with this thread.
    Leaving aside for now the debate about whether teachers are overpaid or not.
    It is disgusting and to think of teachers threatening industrial action while the country sinks down the plug hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

You may not be able to pay your ESB bill with your ~3 months or so of Summer holidays.
    What you certainly can do is take a second job for these ~3 months to top up your measly 52k.

I know of one teacher who used to go to London every Summer to work as a labourer to top up

You seem to be trying to say that your ridiculously long holidays can't be interpreted as a benefit in kind of sorts.
    They can, and that's not to mention all the extra time that you have in the evenings compared to normal 9-5ers.

FlutterinBantam talks a load of shlte (pun intended) but he's 100% spot on with this thread.
    It is disgusting and to think of teachers threatening industrial action while the country sinks down the plug hole.

Utter. ****e. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Utter. ****e. :rolleyes:

Facepalm.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There is no threat of Industrial action on the table nor has there been since March. Do you live down a fox hole?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

True enough. I know of other teachers doing other summer tourist cash jobs, and many college lecturers I know in fields like engineering, quantity surveying _+ architecture were always doing little nixers....not sure about this summer though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A teacher in my secondary school took a week and a half leave because a student drew a caricature of her on the blackboard.

That is taking the piss

A teacher in my secondary school took a week and a half leave because a student drew a caricature of her on the blackboard.

That is taking the piss

I agree, behaviour like that really can't be tollerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I agree, behaviour like that really can't be tollerated.
    <spelling nazi>one too many l's</spelling nazi>

So you think that was a perfectly reasonable course of action to take because the person saw a caricature drawing of themselves?

Its a wonder the union didnt stage a walkout over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

That is taking the piss

nice one son:P

BigEejit wrote: »
    <spelling nazi>one too many l's</spelling nazi>

So you think that was a perfectly reasonable course of action to take because the person saw a caricature drawing of themselves?

Its a wonder the union didnt stage a walkout over it.

*facepalm* You really live up to your name, BigEejit, I was saying that the teacher's bahaviour can't be tollorated.

You prob
    don't
    have full facts here but love the way you all jump on board with terrible spelling and make all sorts of suppositions.Well done!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I know I'd never dream of teaching a room full of brats so fair play to them for doing it. If teachers get paid even less, then the people best suited to the job will not do it. They will be lost to other better paid jobs (esp when economy picks up again) or else might leave the country. We can do without a sliding scale of ability happening. If we pay them peanuts we will only get monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well paid, to me is an unsackable position, up to 190 days off per year, working hours 0900-1500, index linked cast iron pension. And all the sick leave and concessions that go along with that.
    :rolleyes:

Unsackable? Teachers hired over the past number of years are ALL on temporary contracts (secondary anyway), they move from school to school every few years. One of the main reasons for that is obviously so they no longer have to pay the teachers large pensions when they retire. Thousands are coming out of college desperate to try and get even substitute positions to get some pay.

Teachers, in most secondary schools, HAVE TO do extra work... they most get involved in a sport, clubs/societies, take on extra responsibilities and such which can see them work until six nightly. Due to teaching responsibilities classes need to be prepared and homework corrected in their own time... I did Evening Study in school which saw me finish at half six, there were always a number of teachers working back until that time.

Its not as cosy as you think it is...

Unsackable? Teachers hired over the past number of years are ALL on temporary contracts (secondary anyway), they move from school to school every few years. One of the main reasons for that is obviously so they no longer have to pay the teachers large pensions when they retire. Thousands are coming out of college desperate to try and get even substitute positions to get some pay.

Teachers, in most secondary schools, HAVE TO do extra work... they most get involved in a sport, clubs/societies, take on extra responsibilities and such which can see them work until six nightly. Due to teaching responsibilities classes need to be prepared and homework corrected in their own time... I did Evening Study in school which saw me finish at half six, there were always a number of teachers working back until that time.

Its not as cosy as you think it is...

LITTLE TIGER is just spouting the usual old clap trap. New arrangements are now in place to sack teachers who are not performing. Why they took so long to get these I dont know and neither will TIGER.What about sacking underperforming students who waste time disrupting others? They are practically immune from expulsion unless violence is involved and then not in every case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

It's a very well paid job if you are lucky enough to get work in a good school but no amount of money would get me to work in a bad school. You can't "switch off" for a second, you are constantly trying to be enthusiastic and nobody is listening. You have to do 30 parents' jobs at once in bad school, in terms of keeping discipline.

It would be fair to introduce pay cuts and increase class sizes only if troublesome students could be expelled more easily. That would make a world of difference to students who actually want an education, and slash a teacher's workload.

What about sacking underperforming students who waste time disrupting others?

Brilliant, wish I'd thought of that.
    We could ship them straight off to one of our undercrowded prisons, cutting out the middle man.
    Wait, even better, we could dump them into a forced labour camp in the nether regions of Roscommon.
    Then, after getting the underperforming students and the Jews out of the way our path to world domination would be clear

Brilliant, wish I'd thought of that.
    We could ship them straight off to one of our undercrowded prisons, cutting out the middle man.
    Wait, even better, we could dump them into a forced labour camp in the nether regions of Roscommon.
    Then, after getting the underperforming students and the Jews out of the way our path to world domination would be clear

Comparing expelling disruptive students to the holocaust is a bit offensive. Are you a teacher? Have you..why am I bothering arguing with a simpleton.Good day

You would think civil servants like teachers etc had actually caused the recession themselves the way they are treated. Fair enough strikes are probably not the way to go but as I was thought once by my English teacher, if you treat something like a dog it might just show you its fangs! I think jobs that are vital to the future of the economy should be well paid. It is the only way to stop the best and the brightest moving into other areas. We need good teachers, librarians, firemen, guards etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

but as I was thought once by my English teacher
    Best. Post. Ever.

Jesus taught...I made a mistake! I think my degree in English evens out one mistake on a forum!!:D:D

• Advertisement

Jesus taught...I made a mistake! I think my degree in English evens out one mistake on a forum!!:D:D

Did you send away for it with tokens off the back of a Cornflakes box?

Did you send away for it with tokens off the back of a Cornflakes box?

Haha. For a thread complaining so much about teachers, there is a surprisingly high amount of grammar nazis!

Anyhoo [sic- lest we get another spellchecker!] my original point was lost, it's not as if the teachers caused the recession so why punish them?

Haha. For a thread complaining so much about teachers, there is a surprisingly high amount of grammar nazis!

Anyhoo [sic- lest we get another spellchecker!] my original point was lost, it's not as if the teachers caused the recession so why punish them?

Nobody said they caused it.

read the thread title "Who do the teachers think they are fooling"

It refers to the teachers attitude of trying to inculcate the belief amongst the public that they are overworked ,underpaid and have a downright bad deal,as opposed to the rest of the workforce.

That is patently not true, and is the whole point of the thread.

Good man Clark, read it again now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

you seem to view this in terms of a a teacher making a whole class stay back for detention because of the actions of a few messers , the money isnt there to continue making our teachers the highest paid in europe , we dont have the kind of revenue ( which ironically was derived from the builders the teachers and other so loudly condemm ) for them to hold that title anymore , very soon they will only be paid as much as their uk or belgian counterparts , tough but thats the situation we are in , better get used to it

In original post, before we were joking about me saying thought instead of taught, I stated that civil servants such as teachers were being treated as if they had caused the recession, I didn't actually say that anybody accused them. I didn't want to repeat myself but was trying to move the thread back on topic. So sorry if I came across as saying they were accused of anything.

I was saying this because I don't think they should take a pay cut due to the mistakes of others. As somebody that could have become a teacher after my degree, I know that I didn't because it wasn't paid well enough for the hassle teachers receive. I knew I could get a better paying job without the strife that comes with being a teacher. I re-read your original post Flutterin and you clearly say that "People are losing jobs all over the place and these well paid and well heeled professionals are holding the country to ransom." Seeing as how they didn't actually strike, I think they are being treated unfairly by the posters here. I don't consider them to be either well paid or well heeled, I think it is fair for a teacher to compare the pay they receive with that of similarly qualified people. Just because other people may have lost jobs doesn't mean that automatically teachers should be paid less. Why single out teachers? Plenty of other professions spoke a lot of bluster around the time of the second budget.

In original post, before we were joking about me saying thought instead of taught, I stated that civil servants such as teachers were being treated as if they had caused the recession, I didn't actually say that anybody accused them. I didn't want to repeat myself but was trying to move the thread back on topic. So sorry if I came across as saying they were accused of anything.

I was saying this because I don't think they should take a pay cut due to the mistakes of others. As somebody that could have become a teacher after my degree, I know that I didn't because it wasn't paid well enough for the hassle teachers receive. I knew I could get a better paying job without the strife that comes with being a teacher. I re-read your original post Flutterin and you clearly say that "People are losing jobs all over the place and these well paid and well heeled professionals are holding the country to ransom." Seeing as how they didn't actually strike, I think they are being treated unfairly by the posters here. I don't consider them to be either well paid or well heeled, I think it is fair for a teacher to compare the pay they receive with that of similarly qualified people. Just because other people may have lost jobs doesn't mean that automatically teachers should be paid less. Why single out teachers? Plenty of other professions spoke a lot of bluster around the time of the second budget.

people are frustrated and want to point fingers at somebody. they'll eventually get bored of it and move on to nurses or something:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

people are frustrated and want to point fingers at somebody. they'll eventually get bored of it and move on to nurses or something:rolleyes:
    Very true I think

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In original post, before we were joking about me saying thought instead of taught, I stated that civil servants such as teachers were being treated as if they had caused the recession
    Just for P. Breathnach - teachers aren't civil servants, they're public servants :)
    I was saying this because I don't think they should take a pay cut due to the mistakes of others.
    Sure, but most people who've had pay cuts/job losses are also suffering them due to nothing they did.
    Just because other people may have lost jobs doesn't mean that automatically teachers should be paid less. Why single out teachers? Plenty of other professions spoke a lot of bluster around the time of the second budget.
    Teachers have to be paid less because the money isn't there. They're not the only ones to have cutbacks in their wages via the levy, they're just among the most vocal about it and they'0re just not getting much sympathy from many who have suffered a lot harder through no fault of their own either. A lot of that is that their potential strike action would hurt people's kids, which is far more volatile than someone on DCC downing a spade for a day.

ixoy wrote: »

Teachers have to be paid less because the money isn't there. They're not the only ones to have cutbacks in their wages via the levy, they're just among the most vocal about it and they'0re just not getting much sympathy from many who have suffered a lot harder through no fault of their own either. A lot of that is that their potential strike action would hurt people's kids, which is far more volatile than someone on DCC downing a spade for a day.

They are fair points. Many people have suffered. I guess my main gripe is the anti-teacher bias that seems to exist in Ireland. It often comes across that teachers have it easy or that no credit is given to them for taking the necessary steps to become a teacher. I just feel that times such as these are when we should place greater emphasis on education. The better the teachers, the better the education and as a result, an even better chance for the next generation of school kids to do well in life.

And on a different note, I often find comparisons between the wages earned in countries to be misleading. The cost of living has to be taken into account too as well as things like childcare facilities, health care etc. Much of that in Ireland has to funded from your own pocket whereas other countries are provided with more facilities. So maybe teachers’ wages are not so high if these considerations are taken into account. I have not researched that in any detail, it is just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

So, you want the rest of the workforce to bridge the hole in the government finances?
    You're basically saying the teachers should be left as they are? What about the nurses or gardai? They didn't cause the recession either, should they face a pay cut? No you say? Well, cuts need to come from somewhere, whether the people deserve it or not.

To be honest, I can't imagine how a teacher could stand in front of a class of 6th years, knowing how bleak the future is for them, that they probably face the return of college fees and that a lot of their parents etc have already lost their jobs, and still refuse to accept that a drop in living standards is required, like everybody else. The reason they continuously cite is "that they didn't cause the recession". They did as much to contribute to it as most people did.

They are insulated to a much larger extent than most from the turbulence of the recession and if they get the sack they have ZERO right to feel outraged. They are not special.

well horse wrote: »
    So, you want the rest of the workforce to bridge the hole in the government finances?
    You're basically saying the teachers should be left as they are? What about the nurses or gardai? They didn't cause the recession either, should they face a pay cut? No you say? Well, cuts need to come from somewhere, whether the people deserve it or not.

To be honest, I can't imagine how a teacher could stand in front of a class of 6th years, knowing how bleak the future is for them, that they probably face the return of college fees and that a lot of their parents etc have already lost their jobs, and still refuse to accept that a drop in living standards is required, like everybody else. The reason they continuously cite is "that they didn't cause the recession". They did as much to contribute to it as most people did.

They are insulated to a much larger extent than most from the turbulence of the recession and if they get the sack they have ZERO right to feel outraged. They are not special.

Everybody took the levy on income. This means teachers did too, I've NO problem with that. I just think the "lets pick on teachers" attitude that came up here was not on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Everybody took the levy on income. This means teachers did too, I've NO problem with that. I just think the "lets pick on teachers" attitude that came up here was not on.

Teachers got benchmarking year on year without any productivity in return,

Picking on teachers who have average take home pay of 60k and who threaten strike action over wages directly affecting pupils, is rightful.

What I was referring to Clark,was the teachers attitude at Easter, yes back at Easter,going on about striking and the rest, if their pay was interfered with.

Now Clark, in case you may not have noticed we are in a recession and the country is in a heap.

Irrespective of who caused it,the bottom line is we do not have the money any more.

Ergo: cuts have to be made and I think that I reflect a fairly strong force of opinion when I say that teachers,along with everyone else should contribute,given their conditions and pay.

The teachers were going on in a mealy mouthed way,intimating that they would be "on the breadline" and ruined and wiped out by any cuts.

:eek: Kiss my nut brown bollox lads!!!!

They don't fool the Flutt,they may fool others,but the sure as hell don't fool me.

THAT WAS MY POINT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

From Eoghan Harris's column in the Independant
    She said she was at the top of the scale at €63,000 a year. She said the levy in February had been a shock and that the Government had given into "the baying mob" (presumably people like me calling for public sector reform).

She said she had been badly advised and had "stupidly" invested in a second property, in Croatia. She said her mortgage had been stress-tested on her then salary. But now this was €1,000 more than her current salary after all the cuts. (In sum: she had speculated in property and done badly).

She complained she had to pay for everything, "house insurance, car insurance", that she was not wealthy, couldn't sleep at night and was suffering from anxiety since February.

This was a woman that called the Pat Kenny show to "attack" Brian Lenihan and yes the woman in question is a teacher... Who can tell me that a person did not contribute to the Celtic Tiger and the sh1t that went with it? Is she not at fault??

She finished off her speel on the radio with this
    This teacher and moulder of young minds finished with the following fugue: "I am not going to pay the government any more tax. I will become a criminal rather than pay you any more tax. I am going to have to get a second job but it won't be one where I have to pay tax. I actually understand why people go home and hang themselves." (She has €63,000 a year, three months holidays, a permanent job and she wants to hang herself?)

Sympathy? I think not! To say that she cares more about the children than her own pocket is a downright lie!

For those who want to read the complete article:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/eoghan-harris/padded-public-sector-is-in-need-of-reality-check-1706449.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Sympathy? I think not! To say that she cares more about the children than her own pocket is a downright lie!
    Stop vandaling teacher's reputations!

What reputation? That she shouldn't be a property investor?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

+1

i invested in property in budapest in 2005 , i sold it recently ( thankfully ) and lost thousands of euro,s , just like that teacher who bought in croatia , i was an idiot , do i deserve sympathy , not an ounce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Don't even get me started on that lot;)

Well as was said above, people in all sorts of jobs were buying property up around Ireland and abroad. I don't think it was a teacher only issue in fairness. RTE and their property porn could take a look at themselves there.

lubie76 wrote: »
    Don't even get me started on that lot;)

lol:pac:

Well as was said above, people in all sorts of jobs were buying property up around Ireland and abroad. I don't think it was a teacher only issue in fairness. RTE and their property porn could take a look at themselves there.

Never said it was, just highlighting that the attitude that teachers have of "we didn't cause this" isn't exactly true for all cases..

• Advertisement
Advertisement