Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help understanding something please.

• 15-04-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting some new sockets and light switches for my house and I've been browsing around and noticed these two units.

Unit 1

Unit 2

Now Unit 1 is 13Amp fused and is more expensive than Unit 2.

Can someone tell me why Unit 1 has a 13Amp fuse?

I reckon because it's needed to switch on something like a cooker? Is that right?

I wouldn't need Unit 1 for a light switch would I?

Dumb questions but I want to buy the right kind of switches for the job.

EDIT: No, I won't be trying to fit and wire these myself, I'm not suicidal :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You need unit 2. The other switch is for wiring appliances that would be fixed in place with extra protection.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As well as that a 13amp spur would have no use on a lighting circut as this would have a 10 amp breaker in the consumer unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The cheaper one is a standard light switch, which does not need a fuse because the lighting circuit will be fused at 10A at the consumer unit.

The other one is a fused spur used to connect fixed appliances such as room heaters. These could be installed on a 20 or even 32A circuit, so a fuse is necessary to protect the appliance from high currents in the event of an internal fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks lads, I know nothing about electrickery so it's appreciated :)

I thought I was right on the appliance bit but then thought that perhaps if I was running a number of lights off the same switch then I'd need the fuse or something. :D

Cheers.

Advertisement