Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a guitar fixed..

Options
  • 15-04-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Just wondering if anyone could tell me where to get a guitar fixed in galway city the head snapped straight accross just behind the tuning pegs, its still holding but need to get it back tight together so I can tune it properly & stuff..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There are two luthiers in the city I know of. There is a guy on Dominic Street down the alleyway beside the Atlantic Hotel. I can't remember his name but he did a repair on my Martin a couple of years ago and the quality of the work was very good. He makes a lot of his own instruments and has a few lads working for him. I've heard good stuff about him since.

There is another guy who's on the walkway from Shop St to Middle Street, where the Malthouse is. I've never had any work done by him but he re-fretted my friend's guitar recently and the it was a very good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My major muso head friend highly recommends the guy over the Malthouse arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

maloney in the malt house area worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

He did a good job on my acoustic the other year, I'll be taking my Tele in for some fretwork soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Kieran Moloney (or whoever did it for him) did a good repair job for me also a year or so ago.

Googled him. Nice little website.

http://www.moloneymusic.com/

• Advertisement

kieren moloney is supposed to be good and all.. but bad experience myself. got strings on acoustic lowered at the neck and within a few weeks, my A string was buzzing badly..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Did he not repair it for you? Most luthiers guarantee their work. It just sounds like a problem with your action, which isn't a major issue to remedy.

meh, i threw a bit of paper under the string which raised it back up perfectly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rev33

much obliged, thanks ronnie3585, will have a look at the weekend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

http://www.pauldoyleinstruments.com/home.php

When I lived in Galway he did a refret twice on a Takamine EN10 I had been playing in a trad band down there in the '90's.
    Very good work and still going strong, I don't play as much up here in Dublin and the last refret of them all is still working fine after 15 years at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I must not forget Tommy Cussens in Clareen Banjos who also repairs and builds guitars but is more noted for building banjos and other traditional fretted instruments such as Mandolins and Bouzoukis......

Advertisement