Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My First Accident today

• 15-04-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Not a Happy bunny today:mad: Had Just stopped at a roundabout to give way to the traffic on it when BANG! Rear-ended by a car! Had the rear brake on fortunately which stopped me being shunted in front of the traffic on the roundabout by my god my neck and back feel like i was run over by a truck

Visibly there doesnt seem to be too much damage to my bike, a chunk of the mudguard is broken off and the number plate is bent in to about 1cm off the rear wheel. Garage is closed today so hopefully i can drive over tomorrow and get a quote for repairs, if my back and neck let up.

If it is only minor damage would i be better to let the other driver pay for the repairs rather than go through the insurance company, im fully comp and 9 years of accident free riding until today, but will this still go against me for my next insurance if i did claim through them?

Sorry for the stupid questions but i have never had an accident before

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

It wont effect your insurance, cos your not claiming from yours. Your claiming from the other drivers (since it sounds like their fault). Did the Gardai come? I'd also be going to the doctor ASAP to make sure there's no lasting damage to your neck or back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

if you haven't done it already go to your local gardai station & report the accident. you will just be giving where, when & who were involved in the accident. bring your driving licence & insurance cert just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Deffo get to the garda station bud if you havent already done so.

Did the rear ender admit liability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

should have rang the cops at the scene of the accident.
    Good to hear there isnt to much damage and your not hurt to bad.
    Normally when someone crashes into the back of someone its the person behinds fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks for the replies Guys.
    No the Guards didnt come and i havent been to report it yet. TBH it felt like such a minor event it didnt occur to me. Of course neither of us had a pen or paper to exchange details properly- i have reg plate first name and mobile number- and their place of work( That just came up in the course of the conversation!). she admitted liability- a few times-she said she thought i was going to keep going.( I didnt slam on my brakes or anything as it was piddling with the rain, i just slowed down and then stopped, 1 foot on rear brake the other on the ground, id say i was stopped a few seconds at least before she hit me.

Also I think it was me that brought up about Not going through the insurance(I always assumed a claim went on your record and affected you future policy eve if it wasnt your fault). Id feel a bit of a bitch to go through her insurance now! If i do decide to proceed with it through her insurance how do i do that? Is it via my company or Hers?
    Apologies again for all these questions.

Going to the Guards seems to be the general consensus here so i will try and get down in the morning- i already have a doctors appointment tomorrow evening for something else, so ive just got to stick the pain till then! Though i doubt that's going to be too easy. I cannot believe something that seemed so minor can cause such pain!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

report it to gardai - photograph the damage of your bike and goto the doctor.

then visit a solicitor (so they can get in contact with MIBI or the driver)

hope you are not hurt too bad - from description of accident - sounds like soft tissue injury (commonly known as whiplash) - which may last a number of weeks/months (sorry to say).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You should really have taken her insurance details also. I was very lucky that I did previously after being hit. The guy was telling me he'd have no problem paying for the damages and not to go through the insurance companies. Needless to say the mobile number and name he gave me where wrong but thankfully i took the insurance details.

You should also put on record with your own insurance company that you where involved in an accident and the other driver is taking full liability, you will then get a case reference number and there should be no further dealings with them after that. All dealings should be with the other parties insurance company, if you do go through them, give them the reference that you have received from your own company. It will not affect your renewal or policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

if ur neck and back are bad then defo go through insurance company, you might have some lasting damage and if so u need to get it covered, hopefully u don't.

take it easy and go to garda and contact insurance and have it all on record

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    if ur neck and back are bad then defo go through insurance company, you might have some lasting damage and if so u need to get it covered, hopefully u don't.

take it easy and go to garda and contact insurance and have it all on record
    A Few more Questions :confused:(Sorry guys)
    1. So if i decide to proceed via insurance I have to ring the other driver to get her full name and insurance details tomorrow.
    Then i have to notify the Guards, and my insurance company who will give me a case reference number then i contact the other driver's insurance company. Is this correct?

2. As im assuming that this was the other drivers fault am i right in thinking that i will not be expected to claim off my own (fully comp) policy for my repairs

3. By claiming on her insurance will her company send out an assessor to look over the damage to my bike(I dont think i could manage to drive to the garage at the moment myself so this would be easier)

4. Will i be able to claim for my doctors fees/meds etc, Im finding this very confusing as all i can find on the net is about the piab, which seems a bit extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

chasm wrote: »
    1. So if i decide to proceed via insurance I have to ring the other driver to get her full name and insurance details tomorrow.
    Then i have to notify the Guards, and my insurance company who will give me a case reference number then i contact the other driver's insurance company. Is this correct? Sounds right. You will need the Garda Ref No when submitting your claim to her Insurance Company.

2. As im assuming that this was the other drivers fault am i right in thinking that i will not be expected to claim off my own (fully comp) policy for my repairsDon't claim off your own insurance as hers will look after it. Just notify your own company of what has happened and the fact that you are not claiming from your own policy.

3. By claiming on her insurance will her company send out an assessor to look over the damage to my bike(I dont think i could manage to drive to the garage at the moment myself so this would be easier)Not too sure

4. Will i be able to claim for my doctors fees/meds etc, Im finding this very confusing as all i can find on the net is about the piab, which seems a bit extreme.Not sure but when you are onto your own insurance company ask them. They will have a better idea

Keep note of all the expenses you incur and any Doctors appointments you attend just in case

• Advertisement

Well ive contacted the other driver for her details and i dont think shes too happy with me wanting to go through the insurance. Am waiting for her to send on the details now.

Went to guards-wanted to know who told me i had to report an accident(!?). She says i will need all the other driver's details and time/date, circumstances of accident and then make a statement. Flippin' hell as if im not stressed out enough.

Ive the other driver asking why i cant drive to the garage and get a quote and she will pay for the damage, when i tell her im not physically able( i mean id probably be mown out of it at the first junction as i can barely turn my head!) Shes like the damage is only small i broke just small piece of plastic so it wont be expensive." (this might just be her grasp of english as i know sometimes english translation sounds like its a bit harsh when its not meant to be).

Jeez it was only a day ago and already im stressed out about it.Im in pain, my head is bursting,ive had about 3 hours sleep and this other driver wants me to run around getting quotes so she doesnt have to worry about her flippin premium-and making me feel guilty in the process! Maybe I am wrong to believe that my bike should be thoroughly checked out to ensure there is no other damage, that i wouldnt know about? Im no mechanic so i wouldnt know what to look for, but i wouldnt fancy driving it till she was checked out either.

Sorry guys but im getting seriously p#ssed off with this already.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Her insurane will cover the cost of any repairs, if they are minor and you want to agree to settle with her, you dont have to go through the insurance companies. Logde the incident with them anyway, even if you are not going to proceed.

But you've picked up injuries from this accident, her insurance will also cover medical expanses....if you dont go through the insurance, will she pay for these out of her own pocket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

She hit you, your injured. It's not your problem to worry about her insurance premium. She should have thought of that when she rear ended you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I wouldn't fancy driving a bike that had been rear ended.

Tell her if she wants to have it trailored around then she can. But if you have physical injuries then don't do a thing till you've been thoroughly checked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

have you been to a check up, in a week or 2 you could have problems

Cheers guys for all the responses- Tis bad when you have to come to boards for a bit of sanity!! LoL

The other drivers insurance company have been in contact they have given me a claim number and said an investigator(?) will be in contact in the next few hours, to arrange stuff to do with the bike etc. I assume its ok once i have the claim number that i do not need to have a policy number?

My friend reckons that they will probably make me feel like im making a big deal out of nothing, i hope not because im really not in the mood for this today.

Then i have to notify the Guards, and my insurance company who will give me a case reference number then i contact the other driver's insurance company. Is this correct? It is up to the other driver to inform their insurance company that they were involved in an incident, every policy states that if u are involved in an accident that insurance company must be informed, ur no claims is only effected if a claim is made on ur policy. Ur insurance company will ask you if the garda have been notified.

2. As im assuming that this was the other drivers fault am i right in thinking that i will not be expected to claim off my own (fully comp) policy for my repairs. She has already accepted liability, you were rear ended, rear ending cases are easier to settle because generally the one behind is at fault, ur no claims will not be effected

3. By claiming on her insurance will her company send out an assessor to look over the damage to my bike(I dont think i could manage to drive to the garage at the moment myself so this would be easier) Usually an assessment is arranged, it depends where u live, last yr my other half got his bike trailored to bike shop and arranged for assesment to be done there for his insurance company and the other insurance company did it at the same time.

4. Will i be able to claim for my doctors fees/meds etc, Im finding this very confusing as all i can find on the net is about the piab, which seems a bit extreme.
    You need to keep all receipts, doctor, hospital, was any of ur gear damaged, did u fall when u were rear ended if so did ur helmet hit the ground, if ur helmet hit the ground then it needs replaced. Any time off work should be recorded

IMPORTANT
    the accident wasn't ur fault, you should not be out of pocket for any damage or injuries, we pay insurance for a reason. I am not saying screw them for what you can get, i am saying you have a legitimate claim so make it. keep us updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Cheers guys for all the responses- Tis bad when you have to come to boards for a bit of sanity!! LoL

The other drivers insurance company have been in contact they have given me a claim number and said an investigator(?) will be in contact in the next few hours, to arrange stuff to do with the bike etc. I assume its ok once i have the claim number that i do not need to have a policy number?

My friend reckons that they will probably make me feel like im making a big deal out of nothing, i hope not because im really not in the mood for this today.
    A similar thing happened to be before,i had no injuries, he just hit me and sent me out into a crossroad luckily there was nothing on the near side of the road. I was thinking about not going through the insurance until he called me later that day and in conversation said "A sure its only a bit of plastic" it didn't dawn on him what serious **** he would be in if there was something coming on the road. I just got pissed off and went through the insurance, the damage was **** all in the end but **** him, i hope he leaned his lesson.

You are not making a big deal, you need to get a check up at the doctors. If you have any injuries they need to be recorded.
    Try not to stress too much ;)

Sorry meant to say i was at the doctors earlier. That appointment was about another complaint and to be honest the doctor didnt seem at all interested in the pain i was in, he was more focused on the original complaint-chest pains. My own doctor made this appointment for me on tuesday evening but she was booked out so i had to see this other guy, think he is a locum or something? He gave me a prescription for anti-inflammatory tablets and some gastro-resistant ones.I couldnt tell you if he even noted anything down. Hopefully the tablets will do the trick

Also no i didnt get knocked off the bike. So helmet etc still intact.
    My friend said it sounds like whiplash but is that not your neck? Or can it go into your shoulders,Head,back and arms? I think my neck may be as bad as it is because my head was turned at the time-watching the traffic to see when it was safe to go!

• Advertisement

Sorry meant to say i was at the doctors earlier. That appointment was about another complaint and to be honest the doctor didnt seem at all interested in the pain i was in, he was more focused on the original complaint-chest pains. My own doctor made this appointment for me on tuesday evening but she was booked out so i had to see this other guy, think he is a locum or something? He gave me a prescription for anti-inflammatory tablets and some gastro-resistant ones.I couldnt tell you if he even noted anything down. Hopefully the tablets will do the trick.

As i said already keep all receipts, and i mean ALL ;) Doctor, meds, everything

Well the assessor has just been. I found it weird that he pulled the number plate back into place before taking his assessment photo! Thought they would take the photos "as is"? Garage will be collecting the bike in a few days.

I have to say they are very quick to try and settle-wasnt long before he was mentioning a E4,500 figure. He reckons his company normally pay out E2,500 to car whiplash sufferers but as i was on a bike thats how much id probably be offered.
    Jeez they dont be long coming up with a figure do they?
    Im not commiting myself to any agreements just yet as i would like to see what my doctor has to say as regards how long this is going to last. Its all well and good them thinking they can just wave a cheque in my face-that isnt going to make my pain stop is it. Seemingly they like to settle claims quickly, he told me they could have a check out in a week, if i accept the offer.
    I wouldnt say this to them,( but as noone knows me personally on here i dont mind looking a complete wimp) i actually felt extremely nervous at that roundabout yesterday when my brother drove me down in his car. I hate roundabouts at the best of times what with people indicating the wrong way or pulling out in front of you especially when you are on a bike, oh and the obligatory manhole or drain right on the corner, now ive to overcome my nerves about whether the person behind me will stop in time. God do we Bikers not have enough to be watching for on the road?

I have to say im getting over my guilt about going through her insurance- As I mentioned before, that had i not had my foot on the rear brake i may well have been pushed into traffic- and being slightly over dramatic here, but i could have been killed. So sod it, that other driver might just show a little more awareness next time and it may save someones life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Well the assessor has just been. I found it weird that he pulled the number plate back into place before taking his assessment photo! Thought they would take the photos "as is"? Garage will be collecting the bike in a few days.

I have to say they are very quick to try and settle-wasnt long before he was mentioning a E4,500 figure. He reckons his company normally pay out E2,500 to car whiplash sufferers but as i was on a bike thats how much id probably be offered.
    Im not commiting myself to any agreements just yet as i would like to see what my doctor has to say as regards how long this is going to last. Its all well and good them thinking they can just wave a cheque in my face-that isnt going to make my pain stop is it. Seemingly they like to settle claims quickly, he told me they could have a check out in a week, if i accept the offer.
    I wouldnt say this to them,( but as noone knows me personally on here i dont mind looking a complete wimp) i actually felt extremely nervous at that roundabout yesterday when my brother drove me down in his car. I hate roundabouts at the best of times what with people indicating the wrong way or pulling out in front of you especially when you are on a bike, oh and the obligatory manhole or drain right on the corner, now ive to overcome my nerves about whether the person behind me will stop in time. God do we Bikers not have enough to be watching for on the road?

I have to say im getting over my guilt about going through her insurance- As I mentioned before, that had i not had my foot on the rear brake i may well have been pushed into traffic- and being slightly over dramatic here, but i could have been killed. So sod it, that other driver might just show a little more awareness next time and it may save someones life.

Glad to see your starting to think properly.

He wants you to take the check as a rear end on a bike is a perfect example of the best way to get a serious case of whiplash. The pain can increase or stay constant for a number of months, its very hard to say early on. It could also go away after a few short days. But if you take the check and sign the forms you lose the ability to go after them for costs and loss of money through earnings later on.

My friend was in a serious bike accident, massive damage to his leg. He went through hospital and took his payment very early on. When massive complications were found later he didn't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Although a lot of whiplash type injuries are often bogus, you should NOT underestimate the effect of the added weight of your helmet can have on your injuries.

Get your neck medically examined, X-rays and MRI if your doctor deems appropriate.

Remember that offers from the insurance companies are low-ball, designed to get them off the hook.

Get fixed, and get your bike fully fixed and inspected.

If someone rear-ended my bike, they would be paying to fully repair it, and for any loss in value due to the colision.

Id say this company will get a cheap payout because i am on Disability allowance at the moment (nothing that affescts driving or anything) -so no loss of earnings to worry about at present. I also have a medical card but i dont think this covers things like reports,,medicals and stuff, which is what i have to provide the assessor with now.

I hate having to go to the doctors yet again- Ive been there quite a bit recently as im on champix(to give up the fags) and the doctor has to keep an eye on my BP and mood etc. I just cant bear the thoughts of having to go down there again. The receptionists make you feel like you shouldnt be in there again.

@pkiernan when i mentioned about the weight of the helmet,the response-"Hmmm"
    My bike is 2000 reg 125, so i doubt they would class it as having much value to start with!!
    I had been considering buying a new one next year, but wanted to keep this one also as she has been a great little bike to me-no trouble in 9 years, only costs have been 2 punctures, chain/sprockets, tyre changes a few other minor things and the annual service + cheap tax and insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This is why you must see a doctor.

If there are whiplash injuries, you will be in pain for a long time, and out of pocket in the long run.

I was rear-ended in the States by a woman in a car - I stopped at the lights, she didn't.

She was in shock, and burst out crying. I told her that I felt fine, and not to worry about being sued.

A long story short, I never fully recovered, and was out of pocket for my medical bills.

You owe it to yourself to get fully checked out.

If any insurance company says that the weight of a helmet will not amplify neck injuries, then they do not know what they were talking about, and should be treated with contempt.

He was just trying the waters, he was there to assess the bike, he isn't a medic, do it all by the book and make sure you are totally ok before you settle you personal injury claim, My mate had his bike written off last yr, had it settled within a few weeks and got his cheque , on the matter of personal injury he is holding off as he still isn't right.

keep us updated and good luck,

BTW as regards the nerves, ur only human ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

As everyone else has stated.. Get to the doc..

My old bosses wife was rear ended about 3 years ago.. Never did anything about it n got the driver to pay to have the car repaired... Since that they've spent near €10k on medical bills for her neck n back. She has to be seen monthly, its even gone as far as effecting her jaw, just before I left she had to get it broken and reset... All because they never thought to do it properly. Visit the doc n go through the insurance co.. If needs be get a solicitor...

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, its very much appreciated.

I do have a few more questions though,

I now have a doctors appointment for next week to be checked over, i think it's been put down as a "medical". Will that be ok?
    The assessor said to provide them with something from the doctor stating what injuries i sustained and how long it could be expected to last-Is a medical sufficient or OTT? I dont want the insurance to think im deliberately trying to increase their costs, but i do know that my medical card covers general GP stuff not insurance stuff

The receptionist didnt know offhand how much it would cost, but said i could phone on tuesday to find out. Does anyone have even a rough idea of what i might be expected to pay for a medical?
    Also will i be entitled to a copy of her report(or the medical or whatever it is called?)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I don't think its much more than a std visit... Think my last one was around e70... Mind u, that was a while ago

Advertisement