Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My First Accident today

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

chasm wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice so far guys, its very much appreciated.

I do have a few more questions though,

I now have a doctors appointment for next week to be checked over, i think it's been put down as a "medical". Will that be ok?
    The assessor said to provide them with something from the doctor stating what injuries i sustained and how long it could be expected to last-Is a medical sufficient or OTT? I dont want the insurance to think im deliberately trying to increase their costs, but i do know that my medical card covers general GP stuff not insurance stuff

The receptionist didnt know offhand how much it would cost, but said i could phone on tuesday to find out. Does anyone have even a rough idea of what i might be expected to pay for a medical?
    Also will i be entitled to a copy of her report(or the medical or whatever it is called?)

Thanks

Shouldn't be any more than about €70, the Doctor will be well aware of what needs doing, don't take pain killers before the medical, if something is sore to do you want the doctor to see the full extent of how much pain you are in. If you need to go to hospital then a letter from the doctor will waive the A&E charge.

the insurance company will ask you to sign a release form that will allow them to get the report from your doctor, as the report will be about you, if you request a copy from your doctor he or she will give you one.

Just relax and take care of urself;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi Guys (Long post warning!!)
    Was in with my GP yesterday, I have intensive soft tissue injury to my neck, shoulder and back, and have been put on some decent painkillers at last, along with different anti-inflammatory tablets and gastro tabs and some muscle relaxants.

My Gp couldnt give me a thorough examination due to my being tensed up due to the pain hence the medicine cabinet of drugs!! I have another appointment on monday and a physio appointment for tuesday, as my doctor is hoping the muscle relaxants will have kicked in by then.

She was really nice about the whole thing and wasnt the slightest bit judgemental about it(The number of people who have said "oh whiplash mmmmm" and you know they think you are putting it on!). Anyway she said that she cannot supply the insurance company with a prognosis at this time she said maybe she may know in a couple of months after ive been receiving some treatment but she said it is just too early to tell, which seems perfectly reasonable to me, dont know what the assessor is going to say though? But thats not my problem is it? I may just put it to the injuries board instead if the assessor tries to rush me to settle- id like to know my prognosis too but my GP is not psychic.

She seems to think that i am going to be off my bike for a while, which is going to kill me altogether,the fact is though that at the moment i cannot even stretch my arms to reach the handlebars and im suffering from numbness at the back of my head which is quite freaky to say the least!!
    I have just under 7 weeks to get well though as i have my holiday to turkey booked and paid for-and NOTHING is going to stop me going!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

i am sorry ur sore but delighted u have decided to go down the right channels
    Take it easy

Hi Guys
    After what happened today i seriously hope that the other drivers premium goes through the roof- Yes you read that right, i will definitely feel no sympathy for her even if her premium quadrupled!!

I sent off a letter of claim to her and her insurance company last week- and judging by what she wrote in 2 text messages to me today she must think she has to pay it herself!.
    She is accusing me of lying, Says it is "stupid if u think u will get any money"
    She says her friend passed by and "so she saw everything"- I remember her saying hello to someone on the other side of the road when we were exchanging phone numbers etc.
    So that is ALL she saw( and she calls me a liar!!)
    She really annoyed me then as she wrote "dont pull this crap on me. Im not new in Ireland"
    By the time i read the text i was fuming, THEN i received another one saying if i think i can lie to her because she is foreign that is racism and "u will have even bigger problem with that." (whatever she means by that?) It reaally upset me that she accused me of being a racist and a liar, so i text her insurance companys assessor and told him about it and forward the texts to him, ive told him i do not want her contacting me again. He replied very quickly apologising and saying he will make sure that she doesnt contact me again(though she only lives 5 mins from my house!!).
    I am so upset and angry about this now, and i cant help but think she is probably saying to all and sundry and it doesnt help that this is a small town! Jeez all this because SHE ran into the back of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You are so obviously in the right here mate, her hitting into the back of you the blame is automatically on her so RELAX and don't let her ****e bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hi Guys
    After what happened today i seriously hope that the other drivers premium goes through the roof- Yes you read that right, i will definitely feel no sympathy for her even if her premium quadrupled!!

I sent off a letter of claim to her and her insurance company last week- and judging by what she wrote in 2 text messages to me today she must think she has to pay it herself!.
    She is accusing me of lying, Says it is "stupid if u think u will get any money"
    She says her friend passed by and "so she saw everything"- I remember her saying hello to someone on the other side of the road when we were exchanging phone numbers etc.
    So that is ALL she saw( and she calls me a liar!!)
    She really annoyed me then as she wrote "dont pull this crap on me. Im not new in Ireland"
    By the time i read the text i was fuming, THEN i received another one saying if i think i can lie to her because she is foreign that is racism and "u will have even bigger problem with that." (whatever she means by that?) It reaally upset me that she accused me of being a racist and a liar, so i text her insurance companys assessor and told him about it and forward the texts to him, ive told him i do not want her contacting me again. He replied very quickly apologising and saying he will make sure that she doesnt contact me again(though she only lives 5 mins from my house!!).
    I am so upset and angry about this now, and i cant help but think she is probably saying to all and sundry and it doesnt help that this is a small town! Jeez all this because SHE ran into the back of me!

This is the world of motor accidents. It's never either persons fault after the accident, witnesses appear out of the woodwork and people get abusive. I feel sorry for insurance loss assessors.

But in your case be thankful she ran into the back of you, its 100% her fault no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

N make sure to keep those texts...

unklerosco wrote: »
    N make sure to keep those texts...

Have them saved to my phone at the moment but my phone does its own thing so i cannot be sure it will keep dates etc. I asked on the mobile forum if anyone knew how to save them to a pc. Not much feedback soo far though i'm afraid:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What kinda phone is it?? Most of them come with software for hooking up to a pc. Can usually be downloaded of the net handy enough. My dad was in the same situation before, managed to get them onto the pc before his phone went bust. Another way is to take photos of the texts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

You could also forward the text to somebody you trust, e.g. a family member, so that they also have a copy of it and you will hopefully be able to keep it in your "sent messages" folder. As the previous poster said, you should be able to copy it to a PC or maybe to another SIM card.

There's no point in having contact with the dozy bint who rear ended you, you are claiming off her insurance company. She has obviously decided to turn nasty, so your best course of action is to not respond to any communication other than with "please ask your insurance/legal representative to contact my solicitor."
    Without reading back through the whole thread, I assume you have a solicitor on the case? If you don't, you should - but don't just pick somebody out of a phone book, see if you can get friends/family or even someone on here to recommend someone who has done a good job for them before and hasn't taken the mickey when it comes to fees. Any legal fees should come out of the other driver's insurance, but it's normal practice to have the initial consultation free.

The outcome of this should be that you are -
    (A) put back in the same position as you were before the accident. In other words, any financial loss incurred by you should be compensated (medical fees, legal fees, repair/replacement of damaged possessions including bike, etc).
    (B) compensated for any injury you sustained. This isn't just about your medical bills, but what if you were planning to go back to work in a month's time and now can't? What if that holiday you were talking about was ruined because you can't even sit in a plane or carry luggage? What if you continue to be in pain for years to come? The point I'm making is that right now, you don't know how much of an effect this may have on you, nor for how long.

My other half was involved in an accident about eight years ago, when a lorry skidded out of control coming round the corner and ploughed into her car, which was stationary at the crossroads. There was no issue as to who was at fault, and thankfully the safety cell, together with the fact that she turned the wheels to the left (meaning the car was able to move in the direction of the impact) meant that she wasn't injured by anything crushing or skewering her. However she effectively suffered "sideways" whiplash, which left her spine almost in an S shape if viewed from the back. She got ten grand of compensation eventually, but still has to get treatment every month and can still suffer from severe back pain. She'd happily give every penny back if it meant she'd be free of the pain & discomfort.

This accident was not your fault. You have nothing to feel guilty about, and you don't yet know how long or how profoundly your life may have been affected by it. It's worth the time to get a proper medical prognosis, and don't worry about any pressure the other driver's insurance company might put on you. Getting appropriate compensation (as opposed to trying it on) is not the same as being vindictive or getting revenge, so don't be browbeaten into thinking that way. Just make sure you get professional advice about anything you're not sure of - and make sure you're not left out of pocket for any of it! I'm in the north, so I don't know whether you have the likes of Citizens' Advice Bureaux in the south - if so, that would be a good port of call for some free, professional, impartial advice about how things should proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Don't reply to ANY texts or calls. Its not "her" money anyway , no need/bad idea to make contact.
    If she's being clever it's very easy to make your replies look threatening etc etc.

The only contact i had was that i sent her the "letter of Claim". She received that yesterday, tried phoning me twice-i did not answer, then she sent me two snotty text messages. I then contacted her insurance company's assesser and forwarded him the two texts and asked him if he could tell her not to contact me again.
    She was being stroppy with me and all i was doing was what i am obliged to do- Notify her of my intention to claim through the PIAB. I hope the assessor has explained the procedure to her because i dont fancy a repeat of this behaviour when PIAB notify her!!

Piab request that you send copies of all correspondence between claimant and respondant in relation to the claim with a copy of the letter of claim, would there be any point in sending copies of her texts really as when it comes down to it it doesnt really affect any decision they make does it because they rely mainly on medical reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

She should f**ng take responsibility for her actions, driving is not a game. She have to pay the higher insurance if she is more dangerous than other drivers.

I crashed into someone from the rear not long ago, gave all my details, admitted liability in writing to my insurer and let the case to be settled. My back and neck is pretty bad since, and if the other driver has the same problems, I think, it's only fair to compensate him for my mistake... that's the least I can do, tell the truth and don't delay the insurance claim process.

Coming with racism and s**t... she is the racist, she is the one with this corrupted thinking, not you.

Physiotherapy, chiropractors, GP visits, medicines.. the costs will add up.

If you feel pain in your arms and shoulders, there might be a disc damaged or dislocated in your neck.. hope, it's nothing serious, but you should get it checked not only with the GP. Anti-inflammatory tablets and painkillers not worth a penny, they are just hiding and dampening the problem.

I have heard good things about this place, you might wanna give them a ring: http://www.clanehospital.ie/physiotherapy.htm

randomway wrote: »
    She should f**ng take responsibility for her actions, driving is not a game. She have to pay the higher insurance if she is more dangerous than other drivers.

I crashed into someone from the rear not long ago, gave all my details, admitted liability in writing to my insurer and let the case to be settled. My back and neck is pretty bad since, and if the other driver has the same problems, I think, it's only fair to compensate him for my mistake... that's the least I can do, tell the truth and don't delay the insurance claim process.

Coming with racism and s**t... she is the racist, she is the one with this corrupted thinking, not you.

Randomway is on the right track , she's definitely up to something with the crap she's pulling.

Something similar happened me years ago , was ok , but yer man goes into the Garda Station looking to see if I had produced my stuff. Then gave the person on the desk abuse when they refused.

Another good point by randomway , don't just keep horsing down painkillers if at all possible , use them as a tool to help you get rest/ sleep etc and just take the edge off the pain . Everyone is different , but your tolerance for the pains n aches should build up and you'll be able to sleep no problem.

Randomway- Thanks for the link, but im receiving Physio already, only 4 sessions so far, another next week- No mention of any timeframes though like when i can expect to be back on the bike, which would be nice.
    My mother had an accident a few years ago and like you she stepped up and admitted liability- She said there was not point in prolonging things and being an ass, she was at fault and she wasnt going to lie about it.

RandomwayBushy- I must say im not overly keen on the painkillers. They do take the edge off but i seeem to be in a constant daze with them. I was dozing off at the drop of a hat all day but at bed time i would doze off then wake every 30-40 minutes.
    Doctor gave me a few sleeping tablets today as my mood is starting to suffer because of it. Jeez im a barrel of laughs today, eh lads!!

Randomway- Thanks for the link, but im receiving Physio already, only 4 sessions so far, another next week- No mention of any timeframes though like when i can expect to be back on the bike, which would be nice.

Bushy- I must say im not overly keen on the painkillers. They do take the edge off but i seeem to be in a constant daze with them. I was dozing off at the drop of a hat all day but at bed time i would doze off then wake every 30-40 minutes.
    Doctor gave me a few sleeping tablets today as my mood is starting to suffer because of it. Jeez im a barrel of laughs today, eh lads!!

Ah tis grand once you know they affect your mood/ make you sleepy etc yourself.
    If you hurt something you realise you move around a lot on a bike . Not too far , but a good bit.

Rather than start a new thread for this-

The guy who fixed my bike put a new number plate on the bike, he said he didnt put it on the bill for the insurance, it was just to freshen it up,what with the new mudguard on the back. (the old one was dented on one side due to it falling onto the side of a trailer years ago while it was being carried.)

Anyways its been bugging me since i got the bike back that something didnt look right-
    You could tell straight off the plate was smaller but there was something else else just not "right" or different. It finally dawned on me what it is- The county is not written anywhere in Irish. According to revenue that is a requirement. Are they really strict on enforcement of this?
    The guy that did the plate and repairs has been a great mechanic to me over the years so i dont want to go complaining over this if there is no need. Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I wouldn't worry about it TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

just an idea:

for those situations where you need a pen/paper, but don't have one......most people have camera phones these days. You can just take a pic of their insurance disc on the windscreen, their licence, number plate, the person even, but def the 'end position' of the vehicles after the accident.

I use mine like a notebook all the time - taking pics of signs/notices, etc - handier than writing !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Hi Guys

It has just occurred to me that i never got around to notifying my own insurance company about the accident. I have had my meds changed as i am due to go on my holidays and i didnt want to spend it "spaced out!" and now that im not wandering around in a slightly hazy mood a few things have dawned on me- Insurance being one of them!!

My insurance is due for renewal a few days after i come back from my holidays and even though i am still unable to drive i was going to renew the policy (fully comp wa only E270 last year)- So i was doing an online quote when i came to the question about accidents regardless of blame- then it sunk in- I havent notified my company!

Am i going to get much grief from my company for failing to notify them before now?
    If i chose not to insure just yet would i keep my NCB?, and for how long?- a friend said they think it's 2 years?-(cannot make up my mind on this one!!)

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

afaik, you have to tell them of any accident, regardless of blame.
    Your right about the NCB, its valid for 2 yrs. double check though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think it would be useful to have a sticky outlining what people should do if they are in an accident. Its not something the insurance companies advertise that well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A sticky would be handy but i think that this is well documented in the info packs you receive when you get your policy. I would assume that it is documented on all insurers web sites. A quick check on Quinn (first that came to mind) show the steps you should follow if in an accident:

http://www.quinn-direct.com/car-insurance/claims.html
    If you're involved in an accident:

• Stop! You must stop after an accident by law
    • Check if anyone is hurt and if needed call an ambulance
    • Don't admit responsibility
    • Exchange details with those involved
      • Name, address and phone number
      • Vehicle make and model
      • Registration number
      • Insurance company
      • Policy number
    • Report Claim to QUINN-direct

Boom Bap : I read that section in my policy document ("What to do after an accident" section) and it states that it is "for your assistance and does not form part of your policy"

This is not with Quinn but it states pretty much the same stuff.
    I did notice the "do not admit responsibility" part, which i have often seen mentioned and people have said that it could void your policy but i dont see how as it is under the section that states it does not form part of your policy.

Before i phoned my company i read in my policy document that their conditions of claims procedure was "In connection with any injury,loss or damage which may give rise to a claim under the policy" so as noone was claiming off my policy i felt less nervous and sure enough that is exactly what i was told on the phone.

Quote wasnt too bad either (went up by E4 since last year). Got my quote before i mentioned the accident though as i wanted to ensure i wasnt penalised all the same!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Boom Bap : I read that section in my policy document ("What to do after an accident" section) and it states that it is "for your assistance and does not form part of your policy"

This is not with Quinn but it states pretty much the same stuff.
    I did notice the "do not admit responsibility" part, which i have often seen mentioned and people have said that it could void your policy but i dont see how as it is under the section that states it does not form part of your policy.

Before i phoned my company i read in my policy document that their conditions of claims procedure was "In connection with any injury,loss or damage which may give rise to a claim under the policy" so as noone was claiming off my policy i felt less nervous and sure enough that is exactly what i was told on the phone.

Quote wasnt too bad either (went up by E4 since last year). Got my quote before i mentioned the accident though as i wanted to ensure i wasnt penalised all the same!!

Good stuff dude, how you feeling now?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Good stuff dude, how you feeling now?

Im not too bad, thanks for asking. My range-of-motion has improved immensely which im very pleased with, unfortunately the pain isnt lifting at all which is driving me mad- and the headaches are something else!

Waiting on an Orthapaedics appointment now- was told the waiting list is anything up to 2 years:eek:(depends on whether it's classed as urgent, asap or routine, also the doctor is still on his holidays so my referral hasnt even been opened yet) I would like to think im going to be better long before 2 years though!!

Advertisement