Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another wedding post :)

• 15-04-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I have posted on this forum before but not as a bride to be :)
    Just looking for a little advice around pricing of wedding photographers. I know that it depends on the quality of the photographer etc. but my main question is about getting the high res images on CD. It seems that the price to get this varies quite a lot as I've talked to 2 different photographers and one was €400 and the other €800! I have a budget and I understand I need to get a photographer that fits within that but its just this one issue I wanted to get advice on.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

From what I have seen price is not a good indicator of quality, seeing somebodies work and if you can get on with them would be a deciding factor for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The "images on cd" will be down to whether a photographer will do it or not - some will be very protective of their work whilst others will readily give it away as part of their package.

The prices quotes don't appear out of the ordinary (infact at the lower end of a professional price i'd think) but i'd check the photographers work as well as their prices.

With either the €400 or €800 option, the images on Cd will actually cost the same so there is no differentiator in that regard between the two options that you have researched.

Back to the drawing board i'd think - go for portfolio quality, and be sure to seek what backup arrangements they have in place too. We've heard tales of people left without photographer on their day in recent times and it doesn't make for a pleasant day for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

This is not entirely related to the cds. I got married just over a year ago and the one thing I learned is you get what you pay for with a photographer. We were going to use a good friend (a professional photographer) but he fell in love and moved out of the area. We tried to hire another photographer at his recommendation, but he was booked. Went with a guy who didn't live up to his word and whose skills were not up to par with his portfolio. We regret hiring him every time we think about it.
    In short spend as much as you can and do as much research as you can on the photographer you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Where are you located househunter??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I wouldnt take on a job without meeting the Bride and Groom, very important if you want to get the best out of a couple on their big day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I agree with Border, my main thing is though that you must get along with your photographer. To me the eyes tell a hundred words and if you dont like your photographer your eyes will not connect as well and you will not relax as easily so this is of upmost importance.

I myself would not take a booking until I have met the bride & groom and we all understand the needs of the day. Price wise you are looking at the low end although that is not necessarily a bad thing. I myself would be low end as I am only doing it a while, there are others that do it as a hobbie so it would be an extra 5 or 6 hundred quid to spend for that month. There are plenty of things to look for other than just price but obviously the price will always be a selling point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

the price I was talking about is not for the complete package!! Thats only to have the option of getting digital versions of all the images in high res so I could get some prints later if I want

The packages themselves are around 1700 to 2750. This would be on top of that.

so, to clarify, I don't think the cost of getting a CD of high res images should vary so much. Trying to see what the norm is as I feel 800 is a lot on top of 1700. And obviously I'm basing my opinions on their work and not just on price but I'm trying not to go too far over 2k for the whole thing

Oops, just realised I'm logged in as the fiance :D Patrick_K is in fact househunter and to answer your question mikeanywhere, I'm based in Maynooth. Wedding will be in Naas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

In general for the 'digital negatives', photographers will charge the price they would have got from print sales if they kept control of the hi-res images, (negatives, back in the day)

Many photographers who have never shot a wedding on film and thus sold prints simply include the cost of the 'digital negatives' into the total package price.

What we have found shooting weddings is that most people actually want digital images to put on their facebooks,myspace, bebo; to make their own photobooks, to put on their iphone to show their friends in work, to print some of their images off themselves, to e-mail printable versions to Aunty Nelly in Australia. So we always include the hi-res images for every couple we shoot. If we shot on film, we would hold onto the negatives and charge per print but this is 2009 and we live in the real world of digital images

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Thanks DotOrg. Since I posted that I've looked around a bit more and got other quotes. Most included high res images in their package price which makes a lot more sense I think. I don't suppose any of you would be ableto advise on a good photographer? I'm looking at Peter Rowen and John Daly. Really like Peter Rowens style but I don't know anyone who has used him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

One tip I can happily share. Do ask guests to take plenty of photos. I was proud to be asked to play unofficial photographer at a wedding in February and my photos are being uploaded since, expecially informal ones at the reception afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Thanks DotOrg.
    I don't suppose any of you would be ableto advise on a good photographer? I'm looking at Peter Rowen and John Daly. Really like Peter Rowens style but I don't know anyone who has used him.

What we do is give contact details of our previous couples to people who are enquiring about our service for upcoming weddings. So very simple answer, e-mail Peter and say you like his photos but can he give you some contact info of some of his previous clients so you can ask them the questions you want to know

As for advise on somebody for you, a great photographer for someone may not be great for somebody else. A huge part of wedding photography is getting on really well with the people you are shooting. So make sure you meet the photographers before making any bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DubLx

DotOrg wrote: »
    As for advise on somebody for you, a great photographer for someone may not be great for somebody else. A huge part of wedding photography is getting on really well with the people you are shooting. So make sure you meet the photographers before making any bookings

Spot on!

Advertisement