Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COIN OPERATED PHONE CHARGERS

Options
  • 15-04-2009 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Has anyone come across these public mobile phone chargers?

I think they are a great idea, theres one in a shopping centre close to me. I have used it a couple of times when i needed to. A friend of mine used it but lost his key.......it took 3 days for him to get his phone back and they charged him €20 for the trouble. Its €2 for 40 minutes and you can lock you phone away while you shop. just wondering if anyone used them and to see what other people think, any problems etc. They would be great at a DART station or even the airport. I love gadgets like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

It's a good idea. I have seen them at airports. I have often been caught out with a dying battery while waiting in an airport. They should have them in all departure lounges. Alternative is to carry about one of those emergency chargers (which i also have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Alex The Great

Yes, i've seen a few in England & some Euro countries, in shopping malls, rail stations and quite a few in bars, especially holiday resort locations.
    I guess though experience, the location owners understand travellers quite often forget to bring along their charger. I've not seen too many in Ireland, but i'm somewhat ashamed to say, we're a little behind the times when it comes to providing a good standard of customer service, which in my opinion, the charger kiosks are. Maybe bars in particular, will warm
    to the idea, now that the majority of pub-goers feel more appreciated at home with a beer. Another point, and i'm not sexist, is that women just
    love to text and call when out, they may feel vulnerable if their mobile goes dead while out late at night. Overall, lots of positives going for the concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jessieannas

is that women just
    love to text and call when out
    You're right about that one!

I think its a great idea. I've never seen or heard of it before, but its a great idea. Especially if theres an emergency. How do they stop the phones from being stolen though? After your 40 minutes would anybody not be free to take it? Or do you have a key, which someone could get a copy of in the blacksmiths, claiming its for someones locker/lockable piggy bank/diary/ house?

Yes Jess, the general idea is good, and fasinating, i've done some research and try to promote the concept at every opportunity. As far as i can tell, there are a few different variations of charger. The one you mentioned, a lock up/key version is probably not ideal for the same reasons you pointed out. The type i've come across most are rapid charge, with no locker, where the user connects their phone, inserts a coin and stays with phone while it charges, usually 10 minutes. The charger has a screen showing adverts, which i suppose will make money for the provider and prevent boredom for the user. I've seen a few little chargers in Dublin which are free to use, guess its better for the bars reputation not to charge a quid for a top up phone charge.
    I've a good enough job at present, if its ever looking dodgy i would like to look into these devices more, advertising aspect has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

They were all the rage about 5 years back in the nobbier pubs but never really caught on.
    I suppose the idea of arsing about outside the jacks door (where they were generally located) just didn't appeal. That, and no-one wants to watch ads.

• Advertisement

Well the pros outweigh the cons. Better having them than not having them. Sited beside jacks, silly place to put one. We all hate ads, but they're everywhere you look, from an advertisers perspective, a phone charging machine is just as good as any place to put an ad, probably just as effective as the back of the 45A bus. Bet the nobbier pubs did their image no harm either.

Advertisement