Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading machine: Am I forgetting something?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Going to use old video card, case, mouse, keyboard and screen.

Family pc for smooth video playback, audio, tv streaming etc. No games or overclocking done.

These are are the components I'm about to order but I wonder am I missing anything. Am I mis-matching anything. Specifically, I'm not sure about the CPU cooler. It says its for 775 socket but not certain it'll work for E8400 processor.

I have a 380w psu but something tells me that's not going to be enough with the new mobo/cpu so I picked a 550w.

* Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6M Cache S775 1333MHZ
    * Corsair Memory 550W VX PSU
    * Western Digital 500GB Caviar Black SATA-II 32MB
    * Gigabyte S775 Intel P45 ATX A L UltraD3
    * Zalman heatpipe CPU cooler with quiet 92mm PWM fan
    * Crucial 4GB (2x2GB KIT) 800MHz DDR2 PC2-6400

Just want anyone to point out any glaring omissions/incompatabilities. The case is a "silent" big Asus one I got on Elara about 6 years ago - hopefully everything'll fit fine. DABs are no use when it comes to questions.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

It all looks good but the cpu cooler only has a 92mm fan.I would get something with a 120mm fan as they are in general much quieter.If your watching movies i presume noise may be an issue.I use one of these http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=55PZ&CategorySelectedId=11258&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11258
    Its pricey but very quiet.If the noctua is too much cash look for a 120mm and check reviews of it for noise.
    Here is a good guide for noise and airflow.
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/120mmfans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

how old is the graphics card?
    not a agp card is it? newer motherboards are pci-express only.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Am I missing something:
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/120mmfans/nf-p12
    €20.89 inc. VAT

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=55PZ&CategorySelectedId=11258&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11258
    €77.97 inc vat

Same thing, no?
    What a price difference!
    Does this just glue ontop of the 775 socket CPU?

I think the graphics card is PCI-Express.. it's got a DVI out so it's not the shabbiest. Must check!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The first is just a fan, the second is a heatsink and fan. If you want to cool a processor you need a heatsink and fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Ahh.. I'm with you!

Do you know is the PSU swap (to the above 550w) for a rather large Antec case likely to be straightforward?

I presume that putting all this together myself is giving me a much higher standard of component than buying an equivelent spec Dell pre made?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The best of Dells value comes with low-end stuff, not high end. At the level of component you're building, yes it would be extremely rare to find a better value Dell setup, and they also use far more generic parts in their builds. Nothing wrong with them, most of the time, but never worth the money once it reaches performance class. (EG, their ram would be basic 667mhz, without heatspreaders, whereas even a 25 euro 2gb kit these days comes with heatspreaders as standard).

The spec is good but perhaps a tiny bit overboard for your uses. It's a fine machine no doubt but for those functions you would also get away with something like this which is still a very fast CPU. I had one and switched to an E8600, even in the vast majority of games which tax the CPU there's not much difference. Where you might - rather, would - notice the difference is heavy multi-tasking. This means using several demanding applications at once, not just running media player, utorrent and browsing the net at once as someone I know used to justify getting a quad. :D

The PSU would be more then OK on a technical basis, but only if its a good quality one. Some Q-Tec "380w" (more commonly interpeted as '300w sustainable for 2.5 seconds followed by immediate combustion) is not going to be up to much for example. What brand and model is it?

Also, if you're going to be playing HD, it would be worth throwing in something like this.

Advertisement