Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to get to Kerry?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Driving sucks, buses suck.
    Environmental damage aside am I correct in thinking there's no flight or direct train?

typical dafunk rumblings about public transport in the west of Ireland grumble grumble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I believe you are correct.

I drove to dingle a couple of weeks ago. Pleasant journey, nice scenery, can't complain really...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's the best way to get to Kerry?

by helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

What part of Kerry? Tarbert-Killimer ferry is worth the few bob to many people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

inisboffin wrote: »
    If you know you'll be hitting Limerick at a bad time (you can lose the best part of an hour crossing the river) it's well worth it. And indeed if you want to Listowel or Dingle it's handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

Whats a bad time Robbo? Myself and a friend are going down tomorrow, thinking of leaving Galway at around 3 or 4, would that stick us in bad traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

Lets ALL go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Twin Lance wrote: »
    Whats a bad time Robbo? Myself and a friend are going down tomorrow, thinking of leaving Galway at around 3 or 4, would that stick us in bad traffic?

Yes, worst time to hit Limerick is between 5-6pm. Bridge and Dock Rd a nightmare :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dafunk wrote: »
    Driving sucks, buses suck.
    Environmental damage aside am I correct in thinking there's no flight or direct train?

typical dafunk rumblings about public transport in the west of Ireland grumble grumble

Sorry, Tralee (sister-city to Knock) International Airport was due for completion in mid 2009, but has been deferred due to budget cut-backs. Ryan Air recently issued a statement apologising to the thousands of customers who'd pre-booked seats on the Galway-Tralee route.

And if ya believe that, I've got a bridge for sale, going really cheap. Everyone needs a bridge.

Returning to the topic, I'd suggest a bicycle. You'd get fit, and could weave around the traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I believe you are correct.

I drove to dingle a couple of weeks ago. Pleasant journey, nice scenery, can't complain really...

It is a good journey, wanna come?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

dafunk wrote: »
    It is a good journey, wanna come?

I'd love to, but I've already used up my one trip to munster this decade :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

JustMary wrote: »
    Sorry, Tralee (sister-city to Knock) International Airport was due for completion in mid 2009,

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's actually called Kerry airport. Its about 15 kms from Tralee. It was built and opened in the Eighties and has been thriving since. Posts good profits every year. It doesn't offer a regional flight to Galway, only Dublin. It has a much better range of international flights than Galway airport does as it has a long full sized runway. It also has a proper baggage carousel and in general takes a far less ramshackle approach to things than Galway airport.

I hate people who assume Kerry is the back of beyonds. It isn't.

@ the OP, heres advice from a Kerry person.... (ie me!:D)

The regular bus takes FOREVER. You can go through Limerick, or you can go via the Cliffs of Moher. this is a super long bus that only runs in the Summer time, but it goes thru Kinvara and all around west Clare, stops at the cliffs and then gets the ferry across to Tarbert with its final destination being Tralee(some go on to Killarney) It's a tourist bus basically but if you have a day to spare and the weathers good it's rather enjoyable and the scenery is cracking!!

However there is a student bus run by Kennedys of Annascaul which goes direct to Tralee, but obviously this only travels on Fridays and Sundays.

If you intend to travel on a Friday, travel via the ferry at all costs. Fridays in Limerick are manic. Weekdays rush hour in limerick happens 8am to 9am, and I would say 4pm to 6 pm, not 5pm to 6pm as previously posted.

You really have to take the Limerick traffic into account, as going to Kerry you have to go all the way thru and there really is no (straightforward) way of avoiding it.

If you are travelling via Limerick may I recommend that you take the Coast road(N69) as opposed to the N21 Via Castleisland. The coast road is much quicker, less traffic, more scenic, less Guards, take your pick, it's better. Follow the signs for Foynes!! The nightmare that is mad traffic ALL the time in Adare, Newcastlewest, Abbeyfeale and Castleisland simply isn't worth it, and if you're hitting Tralee from the Castleisland direction in morning or evening traffic that ain't exactly pleasant either.

I'm a big fan of the ferry. They're on their summer schedule now so the ferries are running on the half hour each side from 10am to 7pm......they're still every hour on the hour for killimer and every hour on the half hour from Tarbert outside of these times. Service starts at 7am Monday to Saturday, with the last sailing at 9.30pm from Tarbert. Sunday starts at 10am.

The ferry is great, even one way, it takes a bit off your drive, and is a really good idea if you're going further than Tralee or Killarney, as you've serious driving to be doing:D. It isn't any quicker though relatively speaking, but makes the journey much easier. Just be aware that the 'peak time sailings', 8am to 9pm, 5pm to 6pm, can be very busy so arrive in good time or they'll leave you behind!!

If you are leaving Kerry early on Sunday tho, you're best off driving, It's epically quiet and quick on the roads before 2pm;)

A journey to Tralee should take approx 3 hours whether driving or driving and ferrying it!! Tickets on for the ferry can be purchased single or return, or in a 12 trip booklet(I recommend this to anybody who takes the ferry with any regularity, it's way cheaper)

Any other qs feel free to PM.

Regards,

MR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Lets ALL go!!
    GALWAY BOARDS TRIP TO KERRY!!!

I'll make the sandwiches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

W00000000

PARTY!

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Ham n cheese ok with everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I wonder is the traffic in Limerick still so bad...?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Xiney wrote: »
    They have priority carpool lanes for armoured 4x4s with 2 or more AK47s inside. It's lead to a 62% drop in drive by commute times. Most impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Xiney wrote: »

On a Friday evening, traffic on the Dock Road (only road to Tralee) couldn't be worse. Best bet is to go Galway to Ennis to Kilrush to Killimer, take the ferry and then on to wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Can we buy codburgers before we go? They're actually nice warmish!
    I'm voting ginger beer for non alc beverage!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Robbo wrote: »
    They have priority carpool lanes for armoured 4x4s with 2 or more AK47s inside. It's lead to a 62% drop in drive by commute times. Most impressive.

We were going to let you keep Wilkinson, but after that comment himself and Keatley will be signed up, just because we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Another option is to go via Tulla, O'Caghalans Mills - Broadford and you'll end up approaching Limerick through Castleconnel and eastern side of South Ring rd - continue to other side of ring road to get you to Tralee etc. Gort to start of south ring road is legally doable in one hour this way.

• Advertisement

leex wrote: »
    Another option is to go via Tulla, O'Caghalans Mills - Broadford and you'll end up approaching Limerick through Castleconnel and eastern side of South Ring rd - continue to other side of ring road to get you to Tralee etc. Gort to start of south ring road is legally doable in one hour this way.

Its a ****e road though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Swim or take a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Its a ****e road though tbh.

Getting through Limerick @ rushhour is ****e also. :)

leex wrote: »
    Getting through Limerick @ rushhour is ****e also. :)

But there's traffic where you come out there at rushhour too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Hitchhike ;)

Def not the most efficient, but pretty environmentally friendly - they were going that way anyway.

Wait. Doesn't JohnCleary own a boat? I'm sure he won't mind taking us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's actually called Kerry airport. Its about 15 kms from Tralee. It was built and opened in the Eighties and has been thriving since.
    Any other qs feel free to PM.

Regards,

MR

It's actually been there since at least the early 70's possibly before but my memory does not go back that far :p Originally called Farranfore airport which is the village it is based at. But probably known as Kerry Airport since the 80's so we won't argue over it ;)

Yes though not a bad little airport and has International status ...

It's actually been there since at least the early 70's possibly before but my memory does not go back that far :p Originally called Farranfore airport which is the village it is based at. But probably known as Kerry Airport since the 80's so we won't argue over it ;)

Yes though not a bad little airport and has International status ...

Yup, I knows all of that; but it was an aerodrome until the eighties was it not???:)

Didn't mention the Farranfore element so as not to confuse the Galway folks, but it sure is just outside Farranfore, on the Castleisland road.:)

And nope, it's not a bad little airport at all, it certainly could teach Galway airport a thing or too!!

Up the Kingdom!!!:):D:pac:;):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 chinapples

inisboffin wrote: »

I agree....ferry is good,but you can take coastal roads from galway..by-pass is after cutting a good bit off the journey....but traffic in limerick city is a joke...if i were you i would take ferry..trip from galway to dingle takes 3hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, I knows all of that; but it was an aerodrome until the eighties was it not???:)

Didn't mention the Farranfore element so as not to confuse the Galway folks, but it sure is just outside Farranfore, on the Castleisland road.:)

And nope, it's not a bad little airport at all, it certainly could teach Galway airport a thing or too!!

Up the Kingdom!!!:):D:pac:;):cool:

Goodness! I came to Ireland/Galway as a tourist, thought I was aware of most of the international air links, but had never heard of this one. Who flies from it, and where to (internationally)?

Ironically, I even know where Farranfore is, just didn't know about the airport.

Advertisement