Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long Do the Cravings Go on For?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 7:06pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, am exactly 47 hrs off them.
    The cravings seem to come in waves and right now it's taking everything I've got to not light up.
    The only thing that's stopping me is the fact that I've lasted this long.
    Woke up about 6 times last night.

How long before the mad cravings go away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

not for a long time
    I have given up for 6 mth but would still love a smoke.
    I plan to go to a hypnotist in town to sort out the craving €180

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

im off them 9 days and I dont think about cigerettes constantly now and the really extreme physical cravings are gone. However I am still getting the mental cravings but Im doing anything rather than sit there and think about it and before I know it the cravings gone.

Another tip I got off boards : go to the euro shop and buy a massive bag of lollys. Have one instead of a fag. That really worked for me

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

coming up on a year now, still there!
    Willpower! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

snowey07 wrote: »
    im off them 9 days and I dont think about cigerettes constantly now and the really extreme physical cravings are gone.

2 days and 14.5 hrs.
    Was very difficult yesterday but am ok so far today.
    Did the physical cravings last long? They are a bitch.
    However I am still getting the mental cravings

I'm not really getting the mental side yet. But have been working and keeping myself busy so it's been ok so far. The weekend might change that though....
    go to the euro shop and buy a massive bag of lollys. Have one instead of a fag. That really worked for me

Don't know if my poor teeth could take that. Chewing gum seems to be working.
    Am nearly finished Alan Carrs book too and that's helped.
    best of luck!

Thanks.
    I just had to write it down somewhere.
    I need that little extra pressure of saying I'm doing it so I can't back out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

The almost constant physical cravings only really last a couple of days, after that you will still get them but much less frequently and a lot less severe.
    Plenty of fresh air, water and excercise will help immensely, especially for the first week or so. Just don't give in to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

Hmmm the physical cravings could last up to a month...but as you probably know by now, its the mental torture that will last the longest. Your brain will go against you,telling you, you will feel better physically if you just have one little drag....DONT DO IT..under any circumstances. The lack of sleep will get to you,the "rage" as I call it,the shakes,the pins and needles,headaches...all these go though eventually. It's also different for different people.I found the bad side physical side affects left within two weeks but prepare yourself for all the games your brain will play with you!

Have one thing that repulses you about cigartettes on lock down so every time you are tempted,close your eyes and take a deep breath and think of that thing.Just think all the carbon dioxide is probably gone now from your system,your body is repairing itself every second you dont smoke.

Best of luck with it,its not easy but hand on heart,its gets so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Yeah, as for the physical side of things, headaches, lack of sleep etc, I experienced none of that just the mental part, so as was said, it differs from person to person, and the best thought is how you're healing every day, the difference you'll feel in a couple of months is amazing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Leah-G1 wrote: »
    Hmmm the physical cravings could last up to a month...but as you probably know by now, its the mental torture that will last the longest. Your brain will go against you,telling you, you will feel better physically if you just have one little drag....DONT DO IT..under any circumstances. The lack of sleep will get to you,the "rage" as I call it,the shakes,the pins and needles,headaches...all these go though eventually. It's also different for different people.I found the bad side physical side affects left within two weeks but prepare yourself for all the games your brain will play with you!

I dave up cold turkey about 2 1/2 years ago, the physical effects, the shakes, cant sleep, the rage and (I liked this one) the boundless energy, the inability to sit still lasted about 2 or 3 months I think, but I went back on them after about 10 months.
    I gave up again 6 days ago, so far nothing, no effects beyond some mental need. No physical to speak of, it's great.
    I guess I'm saying it varies from person to person and from time to time :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Beruthiel wrote: »
    2 days and 14.5 hrs.
    Was very difficult yesterday but am ok so far today.
    Did the physical cravings last long? They are a bitch.

I feel for you, that was about as bad as it got for me, I really thought my life was over, I couldn't imagine a time when I could drink coffee or have a pint and enjoy it without a fag.

However now - 10 years later after kicking 40 a day cold turkey I hardly ever think about them and can quite happily sit in a room full of smokers and I have absolutely no desire for those fcuking things at all.

Apparently the nicotine is pretty much out of your system by now, and physical nicotine withdrawal should only last another couple of days - just don't keep any fags handy, if you feel the need to smoke take a break, drink water or a diet soft drink and wait - the nasty cravings for me lasted only 5 minutes or so.

Try to remain as stress free as possible, don't get overconfident and throw yourself in temptation's path - you're saving you life here, you really don't want to die from lung cancer - it's a gruesomely slow and painful death.

Keep it up - it's well worth it to be fag-free in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I am off them 18 months now. I hate the things now. I smoked 1 pack a day for over 15 years

Cant be anywhere near them. they stink.

Belive me man. It gets easyier.

I used patches the first week which helped get me over the
    "3 day hump" as I called it.

After my 3rd day I was well on the road to recovery.

Use all the aids you think you need. Go to your doc. Do what you need to do to get you over the nasty bit at the start. I promise you. it gets better.

Avoid smokers and beer for a while. Thats what beat me the first time I tried.

I go running now twice a week. Turned a new leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Leah-G1 wrote: »

Have one thing that repulses you about cigartettes on lock down so every time you are tempted,close your eyes and take a deep breath and think of that thing.Just think all the carbon dioxide is probably gone now from your system,your body is repairing itself every second you dont smoke.

Best of luck with it,its not easy but hand on heart,its gets so much easier.

That physical symptoms were horrible. Lasted 2 weeks with me and gave me awful cramps etc. bad dose of the ****és one day! anyways here I am 9 months and 1 week off em.

My best advice is to keep setting targets. You're nearly over the worst of it now.

Set mini targets "if i get through the next 40mins.. or the next 2 hours etc" and reward yourself at the end of that time frame by reminding yourself the health benefits running at the moment. I liked to imagine and still do that my body is thanking me and will reward me in the long run.

It has. I'm much happier and healthier now. The cravings have disappeared with the odd exception but nothing in the last 3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Chewing gum seems to be working.
    Am nearly finished Alan Carrs book too and that's helped.

By which time he should (if all goes according to plan) have you off the gum too. If not then you could do worse than begin at the start and read it a second time - something vital has been missed.

Best wishes.

I've always chewed gum antiskeptic, so it's not something I've changed to mask the fags.
    Left over cigs were thrown in the bin last night.

Will be painting the hall, stairs and landing to keep myself busy over the weekend. :)

3 days and 12hrs.

Thanks for the advice people. It's appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Giddy Girl

It is not just the addiction to nicotine that you are fighting you are also fighting a very repetitive habit, I find sucking a lollipop really helps with the mouth to hand action which you would have done a couple of hundred times a day when smoking. I don't know if this will make sense but I have actually found myself in situations looking for something in my pocket or handbag and not knowing what, and on reflecting what on earth am I looking for it has dawned on me its a cigarette and its not that I want one its just normally in that situation I would have automatically had a cigarette and I am acting on routine.

I find there are certain times that are worse so it does help to change the routine another thing that helps me is eating an orange I would never smoke and eat an orange at the same time so the zingy taste of orange in my mouth helps get rid of the craving its looking for. I am 10 days smoke fee today and today is a good day which do seem to becoming more frequent. Keep up the good work and well done.

Have a look at stopsmoking.ie and at the end of the page you will see a calculator to show you how much you have saved and the benifits you are already giving to yourself. Also try whyquit.com you dont have to go into all the detils but pick out what can motivate you or just read up on benifits of giving up or about cravings. Hope this helps

Well, I can now answer my own question.
    By the time you hit day five, all physical cravings would appear to disappear.
    Day two and three are by far the worst and once you hit day four you are already feeling better.
    I am now on day seven and am very pleased and proud of my effort so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

How long do the cravings go on for ?

72 hours says Allen Carr.

That was my experience too.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

I am now on day seven and am very pleased and proud of my effort so far.

well done !!!

I managed to last all saturday night without smoking even though we were on a very very big night out. That was my big worry - that id cave in when id had a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

I was like you when I gave up the smokes and kept going back on them. Then I decided every time I would get a craving I would take a drink of water.The cravings didnt stop but they got easier to cope with. I also bought somthing every day for my self with the money I would have spent on the smokes. Its amazing a new cd, dvd or a teeshirt was much better to have than a pack of twenty ciggies that were doing damage to my health.

I am of them over 3 years now and never felt better. I actually cant even imagine why I thought I was enjoying them at the time. I always thought I would be a commited smoker for life. And there were times I was reduced to near tears when I gave them up but thrust me it will get easier with time.

Good luck !

Bo-Jangles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'm not sure about cravings... I've gone about 48 hours now... I just feel fidgety or un easy... I keep going to get up and then sit back down.. I just don't feel like myself. I can't focus

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    I'm not sure about cravings... I've gone about 48 hours now... I just feel fidgety or un easy... I keep going to get up and then sit back down.. I just don't feel like myself. I can't focus

Aye. I was the same. Agitated and fidgety. Focus your energy on something manual.
    I worked like a loon over the weekend. My hall, stairs and landing has gotten 3 coats of paint. Garden tidied. Flower seeds sown. Bread baked.
    House cleaned.
    Since I gave up I'm sleeping badly, waking up every hour. Yet still, I seem to be full of boundless energy.

• Advertisement

AlcoholicA wrote: »

hang on for 24 more hours.
    go for a walk. kick the cat. eat gum.
    do whatever you must but hang on.
    I assure you that the agitation will pass then.

No matter how bad it gets, dont smoke !
    Not one drag !!!!

You are nearly done.
    1 more day.

You will not regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Aye. I was the same. Agitated and fidgety. Focus your energy on something manual.
    I worked like a loon over the weekend. My hall, stairs and landing has gotten 3 coats of paint. Garden tidied. Flower seeds sown. Bread baked.
    House cleaned.

I played computer games for like 40 hours over the first two days, it's great to have something you can just immerse yourself in to take your mind off the cravings. Kind of wish I had done something constructive :)
    Since I gave up I'm sleeping badly, waking up every hour. Yet still, I seem to be full of boundless energy.

Within about a week I was sleeping grand, and after a while that improves again - I sleep better now then I did when I was smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Wreck wrote: »
    Within about a week I was sleeping grand, and after a while that improves again - I sleep better now then I did when I was smoking.

Agreed - the sleep disruption didn't last long for me, and when you wake it you can actually breathe! - quite a nice feeling :)

I'm doing fine.... I don't feel like I need to smoke I just don't feel normal if that makes sense. And yes to the boundless energy I feel so active all of a sudden... anyways its an amazing day here on the sunny westcost so im gonna go for a walk on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

My first day, I only decided enough was enough at 10pm last night.

While I would very much enjoy a smoke, what I am finding worst of all is the lack of something to break up the day. I used to use cigerettes as a kind of reward system, "right, 30 more min then a smoke". The day is dragging without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

on my last unsuccesful attempt to give up smoking i could not sleep properly for about 7-10 days at the start. This time i cut down on caffeine and am on day four now and my sleeping is fine. Not sure if this will help anyone else, but it has helped me.

oeb wrote: »
    My first day, I only decided enough was enough at 10pm last night.

While I would very much enjoy a smoke, what I am finding worst of all is the lack of something to break up the day. I used to use cigerettes as a kind of reward system, "right, 30 more min then a smoke". The day is dragging without it.

time gets distorted during wthdrawal.

Its very important to accept this.

You will possibly find that "the day is dragging" until Friday.
    Try not to worry about it.

its well documented.

Last Night would have been my 3rd smoke free night...and it was the first restless night i've had. I kept waking up... is that strange? not the situation but the timing?

Smokers have restless nights too.

Important thing to realise here is that you have passed the important point where
    virtually all the nicotine has left your body.

There shouldn't be any further physical discomfort for you now. Just let your mind catch up with the fact that you don't smoke anymore and you will be sleeping like a baby soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

you're doing fine...once you're out of the routine (smoke after a meal, on lunch break, with coffee, waiting at bus stop...etc) you'll be fine.

I started very young and had never drank alcohol without a smoke...im still discovering that alcohol can be enjoyed without nicotine, and the hangovers dont seem that bad wither!

Advertisement