Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying income tax on foreign property

Options
  • 15-04-2009 7:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

First off, I have no idea if this is an appropriate question for this forum, but hopefully the mods will move it if it's not.

Let's say Mr. X owns a property in the UK that his child has been living in for a few years. The child is moving out and Mr. X is renting out the property via a management company. If Mr. X gets the income from the property, he's obviously subject to income tax at, say, the highest rate. Now Mr. X's child wants to have the rent from the property go to him/her to cover living expenses such as rent, rather than his/her parents giving him/her money directly. If this happens, and the rent goes to the child, who is now subject to paying income tax? The child, because the money is going to their account, or Mr. X because the property is still in his name?

Kind of obscure, I know, but was having a debate with someone on the topic earlier and couldn't figure it out! If you could direct me to any official websites about it too, it would be great.

Advertisement