Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Owned Markievicz House...

Options
  • 15-04-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

...what would you do with it?

Besides live in it. That's not allowed. It has to be for use of the public.

It's a landmark building, which has been wasted, imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If I owned it, I would definitely live in it. The public would be more than welcome to visit, but they'd have to get over the 10ft electric fence first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

If I owned it, I would definitely live in it. The public would be more than welcome to visit, but they'd have to get over the 10ft electric fence first. :D

Well so would I, if I could, but this is hypothetical. What would you do with it?

I'm thinking either a museum, a totally renovated house of that period, a republican stylee hotel, or a spa.

Which is the worst, in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Well so would I, if I could, but this is hypothetical. What would you do with it?

I'm thinking either a museum, a totally renovated house of that period, a republican stylee hotel, or a spa.

Which is the worst, in your opinion?

A spa is definitely the worst... it'd open it up to the public, but men wouldn't have much interest in it.

I think some kind of arts / cultural facility would be good and I'd include music too - teaching, writing, collaborations, gigs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

A spa is definitely the worst... it'd open it up to the public, but men wouldn't have much interest in it.

I think some kind of arts / cultural facility would be good and I'd include music too - teaching, writing, collaborations, gigs etc.

The Niland and the Yeats' Building do both of these already.

You could look at it in two ways:

As a business - how to make as much money as possible while keeping the integrity of the building.

Or, as a local authority, who have been donated the building. What would you do to make sure the public get good use of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd turn it into an upscale hotel with a beautiful restaurant and ball room and gardens. Kind of like Markree Castle, but in town.

Probably not feasible since there's so many hotels in Sligo already.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

On first thought, It would be nice to have some type of outreach centre for the VEC and do literacy courses/ language courses/ creative writing. It would be fitting considering the history of the place to enable everyone to access language and creative writing skills. These could be for hard to reach groups perhaps travellers, ethnic minorities, older people, free afterschool for kids from poorer areas etc. It'd be nice to do some horticulturally stuff for people to have the type of community gardens that are in Lissadel, people could have have their own allotments even.
    What a spot for free outdoor gigs in the Summer too...picnics by the River. That would be cool. :cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm not sure what I would do with it actually. Probably furnish it to an extremely high standard,would maybe turn it into a boutique style hotel.

If not that,possibly a theatre or an opera house of some sort if that would be feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

turn it into a paintball range with right of way for all pedestrians so you have something to shoot at!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

turn it into a paintball range with right of way for all pedestrians so you have something to shoot at!!:D

I like your thinking:D

That's actually something Sligo needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Good one Dareal - I knew I was missing something.:pac::D:p;):rolleyes::(:mad::o:eek::cool::P:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think some kind of museum.
    You couldn't really have it has a hotel with the other Markievicz house behind it.
    I'd love to have a look around the place, bet it's haunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I'd turn it into a feckin great big bar and club, with a band venue that would dwarf any current establishment in the town

Sligo needs a good venue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Adult sauna and brothel!give the public what they REALLY want!

I had suggested a Methadone Clinic -- but considering Slap's suggestions, maybe more people would prefer something, like the old Line Pool ie jumping into the Deep End:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Big_Mac wrote: »
    I'd turn it into a feckin great big bar and club, with a band venue that would dwarf any current establishment in the town

Sligo needs a good venue

the Hillers would just loooove a music venue going in there - they just love change those lads.Can you imagine the earache you would get if you were Arthur Gibbons!

Hey it could rival da Rendevouz:pac:

Advertisement