Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD ripping separate

Options
  • 15-04-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Looking to buy a separate that will allow me to allow me to rip from cd direct to hard disk. preferably something with a large hard drive and optical output.
    Pointers please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Looking to buy a separate that will allow me to allow me to rip from cd direct to hard disk. preferably something with a large hard drive and optical output.
    Pointers please.

Yamaha have a CDH1500 cd-hdd unit in recent past with a removable HDD+CDRW (near wav quality)
    Sony have their GIGA-Duke series (lossy)
    Naim have their "audio-philic" HDX (WOW)

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why not just use a computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why not just use a computer?
    Because most PC's look a bit odd beside HI-FI separates.
    That and you usually need a screen as well.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

I'd second the use of a computer for ripping the CDs. This gives you the option of using CDDB or Musicbrainz for naming and tagging the files and if there's a problem with the CDDB data, you can correct it at the time. You can also retrieve album art via Discogs or Amazon while the CD is being ripped.

The computer doesn't have to be in the same room if you have a network (regular LAN or wireless). I use an old PIII computer running Linux to rip my CDs to FLAC which also acts as a file server. I then stream the music wirelessly to my hi-fi using a Logitech Squeezebox. (The Squeezebox provides much higher quality sound than using the analogue output of my lap-top's sound card). If you don't want to leave a computer switched on as a fileserver, you could copy your music to a NAS and use that to stream the music.

I know this isn't what you asked for but it may be useful to consider other alternatives which might offer extra flexibility further down the line. e.g. If the music is stored on a computer, you can ensure that it's properly backed up, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

akaSol wrote: »
    Because most PC's look a bit odd beside HI-FI separates.
    That and you usually need a screen as well.

>Sol

So you are really thinking of playing the material from the HD mostly?

I have a very good CD player that looks fine with the rest of the gear but I hardly ever use it any more. I rip CD's on my laptop and the music goes on an iPod. I have an iPod dock wired up to the HiFi so when I want to listen to music on the HiFi I just pop the iPod into the dock and away I go. The dock is also wired to a power supply so it doubles as a charging station. You can control the ipod via an IR remote when it is in a dock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement