Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cramp in Thigh when Swimming

• 15-04-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Getting set for Joey next month, and putting in the effort in the pool, but finding that I've started to suffer from cramp in the pool when kicking off from a turn.

I normally start swimming about 7am on an empty stomach. I think I'm pretty hydrated, but may be corrected on that (drink about 500ml before the session).

Find that this most often occurs a the day after a 10km run, but has happened other times.

Anyone else experience this, and know of any remedies?
    All advise appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

I could definitely be very wrong on this but I know this topic has been discussed on threads here in the past and the general concensus was that the #1 cause of cramp was Calcium deficiency!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Hi Success09, I get cramps myself fairly often. The evidence for calcium or electrolyte depletion causing cramps is fairly thin, and mostly it's pushed by the sports drinks industry as a cause (I'm not talking about long endurance events like ironman here).
    Most cramps are probably caused by muscle fatigue it's reckoned, and I definitely notice them more (mainly my calves) when I swim after a long run or cycle. Best option would be to avoid a hard run the day before the swim, and I would try a light breakfast before the swim as well. The whole urban myth about swimming 1 hour (or 3 hours as we were told) after food to avoid "cramps and drowning" is silly anyway. Okay, you might not feel too comfortable swimming after a big steak dinner because of the full stomach alright, but I reckon a bit of energy in before the swim will help.
    The other thing is your body will gradually get used to the increased work load over time and the cramps get less frequent then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

MarieC wrote: »
    I could definitely be very wrong on this but I know this topic has been discussed on threads here in the past and the general concensus was that the #1 cause of cramp was Calcium deficiency!

eh?.... 8-10 litres of milk, 8 yoghurts and a block of cheese per week and I still get cramps :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cramping in the pool happens to me as well under different circumstances:
    1) I've done a long run, or hard run, in the morning
    2) The water temperature is much higher than normal
    3) Its a 25metre pool

but the main reason for me and how I've reduced my cramping is:
    4) don't push off with your toes
    5) don't try and push off full force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

thanks all. good to know i'm not the only one affected:rolleyes:

Another swim scheduled for the morning, and might start the session with a few lenghts with the board and just kick.

I actually wonder if it could be related to bad breathing mechanics - not getting enough o2 into the blood stream causing the latic acid build up. Wondering if anyone else had similiar thoughts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

SucCes09 wrote: »
    thanks all. good to know i'm not the only one affected:rolleyes:

Another swim scheduled for the morning, and might start the session with a few lenghts with the board and just kick.

I actually wonder if it could be related to bad breathing mechanics - not getting enough o2 into the blood stream causing the latic acid build up. Wondering if anyone else had similiar thoughts...

I suspect Tunney's final points are more likely than poor breathing or lactic acid build up. Ive only ever gotten cramps in my feet when swimming ... but typically it would at the end of the day's second session during base training periods - where the distances would be fairly big. Swimming is a funny sport in terms of hydration and de-hydration ... you dont notice you're body loosing water during the session for obvious reasons - I could never do it due to a sensitive stomach during training - but try sipping a familiar drink between sets ... (something you use running or on the bike).

If you're doing distance work in the pool the turns are important but theres no need to hammer in and out on the wall. Consistent tempo, watching your clock ...
    Anyhow ... imho best not to over analyse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

thanks interested.
    Took the turns handier today, and no cramp, but as it is an intermittent thing, i'll see how she goes next week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

the soft turns will help but it's a patch and not really adressing why you are getting them in the first place. For me it's usually hydration, I swim first thing in the morning and getting enough liquid into me to cover nightime losses before I hit the pool is a problem.

Advertisement