Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD photos ?

• 15-04-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

i saw a post here at one stage about someone posting their first HD photo. it was nice.

I tried to look online to see how it was done but no luck.

Is it a special camera that would have been used ? or is it just a nice photoshop job to enhance the colors ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

HDR? Its post processing of one kind or another. Well some cameras will do it in camera but you are more likely to do it in post processing.

http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net

This is free software which does it for you. The idea is you present the software with a series of exposures of the same scene - for example taken at -2, 0 and +2 and map the tones based on defined algorithms.

I haven't yet got anything that i'm happy with, but you probably need the right kind of scene to do as a HDR - my guess is you can't just take any old image.

You can use more than 3 exposures too AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

interesting, will have a look at that app. i wonder if it will accept the RAW file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

samhail wrote: »
    interesting, will have a look at that app. i wonder if it will accept the RAW file

From my efforts to date - you present it with a series of JPG's at the various exposures.

If trying it, it does take a bit of figuring out so allow time.

There are most likely other options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

you mean HDR not HD and yes, it is a process done on computer, any camera can capture the original images

example: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

IMHO the best HDR shots are the ones where it's not apparent that it has been done.

I have this image in the up coming Kilmainham Gaol Exhibition.

FC0BCB79F7CF4F7583C63A4238700B73-800.jpg

I think I used 4 RAW exposures in that. The result is close to what you would perceive you see when you are in that Chapel, though the difference in the highlights & shadows was well beyond the range of a RAW file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

thats nice caban, what did u use to process it ? qtpfsgui ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There was a HDR thread recently on the Digital Darkroom forum..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055466512

And here is an excellent tutorial from Madeleine Weber (calaido) which is what got me started on HDR.....

http://calaido.blogspot.com/search/label/hdr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

samhail wrote: »
    thats nice caban, what did u use to process it ? qtpfsgui ?

I used PhotoMatix to do the HDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »
    IMHO the best HDR shots are the ones where it's not apparent that it has been done.

I have this image in the up coming Kilmainham Gaol Exhibition.

I think I used 4 RAW exposures in that. The result is close to what you would perceive you see when you are in that Chapel, though the difference in the highlights & shadows was well beyond the range of a RAW file.

Amen to this :D This was the original intention of HDR processing, that in one image you could display a dynamic range that was far in excess of what could ordinarily be captured in one shot.

Either Fenster or Fajitas has some shot of the inside of a church which I used to drag out on a regular basis to demonstrate what a proper HDR was meant to look like. IIRC Both the inside of the church and the stained glass windows were seperately exposed for and then combined into the HDR image.

Of course at this stage HDR is practically a term of abuse, and rightfully so given the abominations it's normally associated with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Amen to this :D This was the original intention of HDR processing, that in one image you could display a dynamic range that was far in excess of what could ordinarily be captured in one shot.

Either Fenster or Fajitas has some shot of the inside of a church which I used to drag out on a regular basis to demonstrate what a proper HDR was meant to look like. IIRC Both the inside of the church and the stained glass windows were seperately exposed for and then combined into the HDR image.

Of course at this stage HDR is practically a term of abuse, and rightfully so given the abominations it's normally associated with...

Bing!

Lately on this forum, I've been seeing a lot of skipping steps. I don't mind skipping steps if you're able for it but a lot of people seem to be missing the basics in photography.. Ah well, no skin off my nose.

• Advertisement

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

ahHa.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhalash/461802897/

is the picture I was referring to above, Fenster it was. Although CabanSails shot serves equally as well as an example of how to go about assembling a good HDR. Interestingly enough, in that picture above Fenster references an earlier shot he'd taken of the same church which I think actually demonstrates some of the things NOT to do in a HDR composition ...

Advertisement