Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods should all follow the same rules

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You've only been here two months... trust me, we get more then enough suicide threads unfortunately. Its something we had a big debate about only recently. Not a cheap shot, a fact of PI mods life... sorry if you thought I was having a go, I wish I were :(

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There are 550 mods.. As opposed to my guess of 50.

no wonder i never win the 'how many baloons in a mini' competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Personal Issues is not the place for banter tbh, if you haven't realised this after receiving 2 infractions (1 of which has now been reversed) then perhaps it's the forum for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Personal Issues is not the place for banter tbh, if you haven't realised this after receiving 2 infractions (1 of which has now been reversed) then perhaps it's the forum for you.

I see what you did there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Completely unintentional,should've been a "not" in there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Heh, it would have been great had it been intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭ellie1

ellie1 I suggest you take your grievence to the help desk forum, as that is the place for it.
    I was trying to have a general discussion around an issue which was bothering me. I dont have a personal issue or greievance with any mod and thats why no name was mentioned nor would I have mentioned his/her name on this forum. My problem had a risen as I felt some users are treated differently to other users. I think thats a valid point. I think that people should be treated fairly and the same. Thats what my point was about. As the mod in question chose to bring up the particular issue from where my problem arouse. I responded. And it was indeed that particular mod that recommended I come here. So I did. I dont think the mod owns the site, I was just thanking him for pointing me in the right direction to have a place to feel heard and express my point of view.
    However if you have a grievance with me , please feel free to bring it up so I can share my opinions which may be deemed as ignorant by some. I will listen and try to explain where i am coming from and I wont tell you to go somewhere else..

Can we not have a discussion about it...and it is indeed the forum for me as I have found it very useful and helpfull in the past because I too as well as other ops on that forum have had issues in my life which i felt warrented the advice of strangers not caught up in the situation. I found the advice great.

Can an smod make that happen please.
    I dont understand why you made this point when you then continued to add on to a post which the smod had said had run its course. And should the issue not be discussed in this forum in order to help people to understand different mods points of view on this matter. I have found it quite useful in many ways.
    so WWM any chance you are looking to return as a PI mod ? tongue.gif
    I could find this comment offensive, off topic and full of humour.

When people are in crisis and looking for support there are many different interventions which may or may not work. And I know that humour is often an intervention which has a positive effect on people. Just like straight talking no nonense approaches work on others. Many people can benifit from a gentle appraoch. People are going to take from PI/RI the advice which they feel most benificial to themselves.

The banter and talking about the subject goes on with a lot of emotive treads. This is alongside some really great advice giving. I doubt very much that the op is hugely offended or hurt when they see people disagreeing on their problem. Its often helpfull to see other sides of the arguement or issue. As indeed we are blind to some things.

Yes, a lot of people are in dark deep places on PI/RI and threads that are shut down are when the person needs professional help and the people giving advice need professional training to deal with some issues. In fact, as so many people are using these threads and are indeed suicidal, it may be benificial that some mods are trained in this area as they could be the first point of contact for a lot of people that are suicidal. Maybe they are already.

I still believe that there is place for humour in PI/RI. I still believe that mods should endevour to follow the same rules in so far as possible. I have realised that I will be more concious of my banter (considering I will now be watched:D)

Sorry this is so long and a bit waffly as i was trying to respond to everything and I got very lost and confused. Equal apoligises for my spelling.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ellie1 wrote: »
    When people are in crisis and looking for support there are many different interventions which may or may not work. And I know that humour is often an intervention which has a positive effect on people.

I completely agree with you, although personally I would only take a humorous approach to a PI-type situation with a person I knew very well. I certainly wouldn't do it with a complete stranger who has just posted something on an internet forum. I don't know them or anything about them, and they might see such an approach as making light of their situation or belittling them in some way. That's possibly even more true if they're in a fragile enough state to feel the need to post in PI in the first place. PI is there to help people, and while that approach may help some, it's just as likely to cause offence to probably the majority of thread starters, and for this reason we try and keep the humorous banter to a minimum in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭ellie1

I completely agree with you, although personally I would only take a humorous approach to a PI-type situation with a person I knew very well. I certainly wouldn't do it with a complete stranger who has just posted something on an internet forum. I don't know them or anything about them, and they might see such an approach as making light of their situation or belittling them in some way. That's possibly even more true if they're in a fragile enough state to feel the need to post in PI in the first place. PI is there to help people, and while that approach may help some, it's just as likely to cause offence to probably the majority of thread starters, and for this reason we try and keep the humorous banter to a minimum in the forum.

I respect your opinion but it could also be stated that the op may find the straight forward no nonense advice offensive or belittling. The op may find the discussion around their issue unhelpfull. Posters replying to each others comments humourous or not may be unhelpfull. Nobody really knows what advice the op will take and yes many are fragile. i dont know the op and neither does anybody eles.if I was talking to a real (eg:counsellor) advice giver and I came across someone who was sterile, clinincal and cold , I would run for the hills. I try to understand from the ops point of view and base my replies on my life experience and what was helpfull to me at different points. And I think other people reply based on their own life experiences. All are different. All could be deemed unhelpful to somone in a fragile state. After all , as well as advice, all many people people want is to be listened to , heard and understood. All are listened to and acknowledged regardless weather this be through humour, compassion, empathy, sympathy etc. Different interventions/advice work on differnt people, none of us know which is benificial unless the op replies.

Waffling again. Sorry. need to stfu now or Ill keep going on and on and on...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Think this thread has run it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement