Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generate text messages from my website

Options
  • 15-04-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I want to control registeration to a website by forcing users to submit their mobile numbers when registering. I want to auto send them a text from the website with a code which they will have to enter to activate their registeration.

I am wondering how to integrate this in to my site. What third parties offer this service and is it expensive?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

that sounds like a nice little project to do. wouldnt be too hard either. just use one of the premade scripts to generate a unique code for registration, and get an interface to send text messages and replace the email code.
    id be surprised if sourceforge didnt have one or two knocking about, cant seem to find one handily though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A bulk rate txt message provider, will cost you 3 or 4c a txt. Usually web based, so OS is not important.

You have other options depending on whether you own your server, and depending on your OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

You dont say what technology you're using but I remember seeing a .net assembly posted on here that allowed you to send SMS webtexts through you O2, Vodafone or Meteor account.

Think that'd be the cheapest option as you get 300 free webtexts a month

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭derickmc

Thanks guys. I am using PHP. I don't suppose you know if there is any way of accessing the vodafone, meteor, O2 or 3 free texts from that is there?

I actually half heartidly tried to suss that out with Meteor about a year ago but I couldn't get through to anyone technical enough to look in to it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Funnily enough I'm just after writing something to do the same thing.

I'm using the clickatell gateway for the sms sending, over their http api

My approach is the user registers with their mobile number, I confirm the mobile number is in the correct format and is covered by the gateway (using their http api)

I then create a code using a hash of some of the users details and take a random 8 digits out of this hash as the activation code

This is then sent to the user via the clickatell gateway. There are php classes to use the clickatell gateway online.

If you want to use the free webtexts from your provider there are php scripts to do this around too. check out the thread for the desktop sms app in mobiles & pda and you might find the link

• Advertisement
Advertisement