Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New anti-honesty policy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Diceicle wrote: »
    You kind of answered your own question there, and I know the point your making but where I'm coming from is that if someone starts a thread flaming a shop for whatever reason, then confront them about it. Give them the benefit of your experience and everyone else does the same. If a shop is being falsely cr@pped on then the weight of public opinion on here will hammer the truth out. That goes for people claiming so-and-so is a cr@p piercer or whatever. It makes sense.

In response to what Damo says about treating everyone the same, I have to disagree. It would be rude and inconsiderate to regular posters for me to sign up to a new internet forum and start throwing my weight around, giving the regulars stick and generally acting the bol**x within 5 posts. When you sign up to a forum a certain amount of politness and knowing your place is only right, regular posters should be given a certain amount of leaway as they have proven themselves to be sources of genuine advice and not some troll with too much time on their hands.
    If only our laws were even in the same country that that sort of logical ballpark resided.

We wouldnt be being sued over comments made by attendees of Oxygen.

Know your rights (or lack of them). http://indigo.ie/~kwood/defamation.htm

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

DeVore wrote: »
    If only our laws were even in the same country that that sort of logical ballpark resided.

We wouldnt be being sued over comments made by attendees of Oxygen.

Know your rights (or lack of them). http://indigo.ie/~kwood/defamation.htm

DeV.

Welcome to the discussion and thanks for the link, it's a lengthy piece but I'll try and take a look over it.

The original crux of the problem with the policy was the "only positive posting" part, hence the anti-honesty question. If you can't give you're honest opinion on somewhere then whats the point in the forum at all? But that has since been removed so not so much of a problem with the policy as it stands at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Diceicle wrote: »
    You kind of answered your own question there, and I know the point your making but where I'm coming from is that if someone starts a thread flaming a shop for whatever reason, then confront them about it. Give them the benefit of your experience and everyone else does the same. If a shop is being falsely cr@pped on then the weight of public opinion on here will hammer the truth out. That goes for people claiming so-and-so is a cr@p piercer or whatever. It makes sense.

your advice here assumes that for every shop that gets berated, there is at least one person here with first hand experience.

ie, if some one starts a thread saying Buttfluff tattoo in sligo are unclean, and a regular here has experienced Buttfluff firsthand, they can comment on the veracity of the original statement. However, more often then not, there will be no person here who has been in Buttfluff, but that doesn't mean that the original statement was true....
    So those studios which have no customers here are afforded less protection from defamation than those that are frequemted by regulars. In practice, I think that would largely mean that studios close to dublin/cork/galway are covered.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, thats part of the problem. Plus the law doesnt take into account what is said subsequently (to be fair, if you google buttfluff tattoo and you see that as the first link, which you will, its unlikely you will even read the rest of the posts...).

The rule of "positive or negative, it has to be first hand" seems to be the best fit. Plus it shouldnt be nasty, it should be "honest" as we've said above.

DeV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

hot2def wrote: »
    So those studios which have no customers here are afforded less protection from defamation than those that are frequemted by regulars.

That one sentence sums up my whole argument on the first hand experience thing.If you havent frequented the place then I dont believe you have a right to comment on it through "hearsay".

Thanks Hot2def.

• Advertisement

I think we are now all agreeing with each other vehemently.

Can someone call time of death on this thing? yes? no? Forever peace holding etc?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DeVore wrote: »
    *I do have a plan for a tattoo and a design etc, but we'll, I'm kinda chicken. lol... also I'm not 110% certain about it.
    I did almost get it done in Vegas while plastered (deliberately) but my mate and I both bottled it cos we sobered up in the queue.
    I vote that you get a tattoo of a carousel ;)

Thanks for the input DeV, appreciated! :)

There are some very good points raised here, and I think a general concensus has been reached. :)

1st hand experience = good
    Anything else = not to be posted here.

If I get anything it will be a circle with Pi in the middle of it, denoting the universal truth of logic and geometry... its either that or my cat, Mr Fibbles... I haven't decided yet.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Changed your mind about your 'motto' phrase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Get a fireman!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Changed your mind about your 'motto' phrase?

No. I will pedantically point out that I said "If I get anything it will be...". I didnt say it would be the only thing I would get. :p (sorry just watched a lot of House and drank wine through it all. mmmm).

If I was getting something more, it would be my two mottos as the embearded one mentioned. "This too shall pass" (because I believe it is true that things you feel now will ease fade and eventually cease to matter) and "All good, all the time" because I choose to believe that all things can lead to "good" outcomes, no matter how bad they seem at the time. I choose to believe that because its been true throughout my life.

DeV.

Advertisement