Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Home CCTV install

• 15-04-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Im looking to do a self-install of a home CCTV system,comprising of say 2-3 cameras and a DVR,I havent a clue where to start on what hardware to buy, im trying to do this on a budget. i would ideally like the cameras to have night vison capabilitys, one fairly decent range for the front to keep an eye on my car.

Could some one please recomend me an entry level kit or even some sites to read up on.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi there,

Before I start I will say I install CCTV for a living into commercial. Its important to note that around 60% of whats out there in the CCTV world is rubbish. This goes up higher when you delve into the Home CCTV market. Most of it is chinese, its a copy of a korean or japanese even UK systems and often looks the same but everything is cheap and nasty. The problem about this is say for example you spend 50-100 euro per camera and you spend maybe 400 on a DVR that a max spend of 800 euro. For that you will get a DVR that is very basic. Has poor codecs, no tech support and limited warranty if your buying online. DVRs are solidish but the hard drive is one of the important parts.

We use what are called 24/7 security drives. They are designed speciafically for CCTV. I have oped a lot of DVR's though and they only use computer drives. These will crash and burn within a year or so. Secondly codecs. A good DVR will have a good compression codec a cheap one wont. This is basically the thing used to sqiesh the images so they'll fit on a drive.

On cameras, things like back light compensation, IR cut filters, quality IR's (if using infrared) again all these usual functionsl will be on a good camera, on a cheap they just cant afford to. You may also either need to make cables or buy them made up and power supplies.

I have seen home installs and even if the install is good the equipment will be poor. Dont forget if you go to a company they have to offer warranty and get the picture right for you.

As a guide and Im in no way pitching here as we only do commercial sites and Im in the bottom of the country but we have a 4ch DVR, 250GB drive, full jog shuttle and 100 frames per second recording including a 3 year warranty, 4 x IR cameras anti vandal domes with 5 years warranty, 1 x Pelco (top of the range) power supply unit with circuit breakers per camera all installed for 1899 plus the VAT. So what every you do go for make sure its cheap enough to justify doing it yourself because if you start creeping up the price scale then you may be better off going to a Pro..!

I think these two articles might give you some helpful info.

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=13

and this one is very indepth, hope you like reading!!!

http://www.2seetv.co.uk/acatalog/Guide_to_CCTV.html

If you have any questions regarding CCTV or cameras feel free to PM me. If nothing else I can help you to choose the right stuff from an online supplier rather than getting muck. Ive been doing IT install work for over ten years and CCTV can be very enjoyable to do but there are a few pitfalls to watch out for. But again I can give you a heads up on these.

Most importantly if up on a Ladder MAKE SURE SOME ONE IS AT THE BOTTOM!!

Best of luck and hope that car is worth it!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Bought a 4 channel DVR from ebay. This is the one I purchase but I dont know which buyer I purchased off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Personally I wouldnt touch something with 6 months warranty myself!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

FusionNet wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt touch something with 6 months warranty myself!!! :P
    The one I have is working fine for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 blain

FusionNet wrote: »
    Hi there,

Before I start I will say I install CCTV for a living into commercial. Its important to note that around 60% of whats out there in the CCTV world is rubbish. This goes up higher when you delve into the Home CCTV market. Most of it is chinese, its a copy of a korean or japanese even UK systems and often looks the same but everything is cheap and nasty. The problem about this is say for example you spend 50-100 euro per camera and you spend maybe 400 on a DVR that a max spend of 800 euro. For that you will get a DVR that is very basic. Has poor codecs, no tech support and limited warranty if your buying online. DVRs are solidish but the hard drive is one of the important parts.

We use what are called 24/7 security drives. They are designed speciafically for CCTV. I have oped a lot of DVR's though and they only use computer drives. These will crash and burn within a year or so. Secondly codecs. A good DVR will have a good compression codec a cheap one wont. This is basically the thing used to sqiesh the images so they'll fit on a drive.

On cameras, things like back light compensation, IR cut filters, quality IR's (if using infrared) again all these usual functionsl will be on a good camera, on a cheap they just cant afford to. You may also either need to make cables or buy them made up and power supplies.

I have seen home installs and even if the install is good the equipment will be poor. Dont forget if you go to a company they have to offer warranty and get the picture right for you.

As a guide and Im in no way pitching here as we only do commercial sites and Im in the bottom of the country but we have a 4ch DVR, 250GB drive, full jog shuttle and 100 frames per second recording including a 3 year warranty, 4 x IR cameras anti vandal domes with 5 years warranty, 1 x Pelco (top of the range) power supply unit with circuit breakers per camera all installed for 1899 plus the VAT. So what every you do go for make sure its cheap enough to justify doing it yourself because if you start creeping up the price scale then you may be better off going to a Pro..!

I think these two articles might give you some helpful info.

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=13

and this one is very indepth, hope you like reading!!!

http://www.2seetv.co.uk/acatalog/Guide_to_CCTV.html

If you have any questions regarding CCTV or cameras feel free to PM me. If nothing else I can help you to choose the right stuff from an online supplier rather than getting muck. Ive been doing IT install work for over ten years and CCTV can be very enjoyable to do but there are a few pitfalls to watch out for. But again I can give you a heads up on these.

Most importantly if up on a Ladder MAKE SURE SOME ONE IS AT THE BOTTOM!!

Best of luck and hope that car is worth it!! :)

This has been very helpful. Thanks.

Has the price of the system come down any?

• Advertisement
Advertisement