Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Vs Everton FA Cup Semi 19/04/09

• 15-04-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Gonna get the ball rolling on this baby

all discussion and team talk, slagging, and prawn sandwiches here.

News which may or may not be true is that, surprises surprise Everton might have sans strikers available. not even copious amounts of cotton wool could keep Saha away from picking up injury's or virus it seems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

starting this early

any injury concerns for everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Utd to win handily enough. Beat Chelsea in the final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

monkey9 wrote: »
    Utd to win handily enough. Beat Chelsea in the final!

Saha picked up a virus which may or may not be true

Wouldn't say United will win 'easy enough' Id say Moyes team is one of the most difficult to beat in the league.

The onus is on united to win, I would be suspect of Hibbert at the back also Rodwell could be drafted into the middle. Dont think he could handle it.

Pinnear is a key player, if he string passes together we have a chance, Id say United would not be looking forward to Fellaini and Cahill up front at all, but Mike Riley might. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gona be a tough game, Everton are a very good side.

would like

----foster----
    raf--Rio--vidic---fabio
    park--ando--Fletch---Ronaldo
    kiko---tevez---

no chance of it happening but I would certainly like to see some youngsters starting in the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Evra needs to be dropped to get a kick up the arse. I think Anderson needs to be rested probably, maybe 20 mins at the end. He looks wrecked and did a job. Get him fresh for Portsmouth.

I'd go with

Rafael/Brown--Rio--Vidic--O'Shea--
    Carrick----Fletcher
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Nani--
    Tevez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think their will be goals from both sides and utd might sneak it but this Everton side will be no pushovers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If it was at Goodison I'd be concerned but I reckon United will power through at Old Trafford.

I think it will be United by 2 goals.

If it was at Goodison I'd be concerned but I reckon United will power through at Old Trafford.

:)

sorry mate its in Wembley Stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I was about to make that mistake too.

Wembley is anyone's guess. Everton are a difficult team to play against, but if we don't get complacent we should be able to win.

I know it's Rooney against Everton in the FA Cup, but I wonder if he'll start. He looked knackered by the end against Porto. Evra had a nightmare as well, I wonder if that was down to tiredness too.

I would guess something like:

VDS
    Rafa--Vidic--Ferdinand--O'Shea
    Ronaldo--Scholes--Fletcher--Park
    Berba--Tevez

Not sure if Fletcher will be fit. If he's not I would guess Anderson will take his place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wouldn't be surprised to see Everton win this one. In the league Utd won 1-0 at home courtesy of a penalty while at Goodison it was a 1-1 draw. Utd are trying to keep three balls in the air with the league, the Champions League and the FA Cup whereas for Everton the league really doesn't matter that much as unless something massive happens they have 5th/6th nailed on. I think it will be a pretty tight affair with one goal most likely deciding it.My main concern with the match is with Riley as ref - when he's reffing there's always a strong chance that he will do something that will have an impact on the result, which is a shame. I don't think he's biased I just think he's a poor ref.As a Liverpool fan I'm hoping for a last minute extra-time winner for Everton.;)

Headshot wrote: »
    :)

sorry mate its in Wembley Stadium

Oh crap I forgot all about that. :pac:

That does dampen my optimistic mood a bit. I still think United should have too much but there could be a few hairy moments...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

it's stupid the way it is in wembley.

My team:

Van Der Sar - Played well last night apart from a dodgy cross. Hopefully the clean sheet last night will give him back some confidence.

Rafael - we need to get this little sprinter going again.

Ferdinand - Back in the team and we get a clean sheet.

Vidic - Better with Rio. We all know how good he is.

Evra - looked off form for a couple of games there. Hesitating passes and such.. hopefully he's getting back in form.. some good one two's with Ronnie last night.

Ronaldo - The boy must be on a high after scoring what he said was 'the best goal of my career' - Match winner - even if he doesn't track back. People keep doubting him but he keeps putting the ball in the back of the net and as long as he keeps doing that.. I have no problem with him.

Scholes - Picking Scholes here mainly because he was rested against Porto.

Anderson - Excellent game v Porto. Better than Carrick who has been v.quiet in recent games.

Park - A revelation this season he has dropped a bit in recent games but still is showing enough to get picked

Rooney - The boy is the leader of this team. His will and determination flows through the team

Tevez - Hasn't put a foot wrong all season but cannot get ahead of Berba. Will score us goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Mike Riley ( or Red Mike as he's called by non United fans ;):D ) is the ref for the match on Sunday.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5196039,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Riley has practically stopped giving United any peno's now cause of all the controversy around him. He's well aware of what everyone think of him and Im sure it's on his mind so I have no doubt that it wont matter, and if anything go against United.

United fans full of wisdom i see :rolleyes:

Well in my defense it's not like it's the biggest game of our season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I think Scholes will be the key man in this game. I've watched all the recent games from Wembley and have noticed the ball holds up unbelievably on the surface - the most recent game being Lutons win a couple of weeks back. That's were it really stood out for me. Any raking long field pass basically never ran through to the keeper or out wide for throw ins at all.
    I'm sure the Utd coaches will have picked up on this, so I can see Scholes slot into the middle to feed through balls to a pacy triumvrate of probably Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez...Berbatov to sit this one out.

If all fit I'd go with:

Foster

Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra

Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson

Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez

...maybe O'Shea for Evra because Evra looks like he's lost all interest in defending recently and needs a kick up the arse, but stuck with him because the likes of O'Shea and Carrick will most likely be rested having played a lot of games recently. If Fletcher ain't fit then give Gibson a game.

VDS, O'Shea, Giggs, Carrick and Berbatov all back in team for midweek against Pompey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Tut, tut...don't you know your football tradition at all? FA Cup semis are always on neutral ground:p

listening to SAF press conference

we could see a line-up like this

foster
    Raf--Rio--Vidic---o'shea
    park--fletch--scholes/ando---Ronaldo
    tevez---berba

love to see kiko get a game thou
    Sir Alex faces a decision on the match-readiness of Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick. “There aren’t any serious injuries, but we’ve got quite a few bumps and bruises. Rooney got a knock, and Carrick got an ankle knock, but nothing serious. The good news is Fletcher has trained in the last few days and he should be OK for Sunday."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Arrogance, wonder where it comes from, Ferguson maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

thegen wrote: »
    Arrogance, wonder where it comes from, Benitez maybe
    Fixed that for you.

It isn't, even Everton fans would agree it isn't! We have much bigger matches in the run in of the PL like Arsenal & City, and a CL Semi with Arsenal and potiential finals. Since when was the FA Cup been bigger than the Champions League?

Pigman III wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

It isn't, even Everton fans would agree it isn't! We have much bigger matches in the run in of the PL like Arsenal & City, and a CL Semi with Arsenal and potiential finals. Since when was the FA Cup been bigger than the Champions League?

Why would you fix it by putting Benitez in there? You doing a Ferguson now?

I'm not even a Liverpool supporter.

Why would you fix it by putting Benitez in there? You doing a Ferguson now?

I'm not even a Liverpool supporter.
    Benitez = Arrogance. I'm doing a 'me'.

When did I say you where a Liverpool supporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nunu wrote: »
    I think Scholes will be the key man in this game. I've watched all the recent games from Wembley and have noticed the ball holds up unbelievably on the surface - the most recent game being Lutons win a couple of weeks back. That's were it really stood out for me. Any raking long field pass basically never ran through to the keeper or out wide for throw ins at all.
    I'm sure the Utd coaches will have picked up on this, so I can see Scholes slot into the middle to feed through balls to a pacy triumvrate of probably Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez...Berbatov to sit this one out.

Good point.

I'm going to guess:

VDS
    --JOS---Rio--Vidic---Evra
    Ronaldo-Fletch-Scholes-Park
    Rooney-Tevez

Can't see VDS being dropped as the defence is just getting back into form.
    Can't see Rooney being dropped either.

This is going to be very very tough. I don't fancy United's chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

love to see kiko get a game thou

Jesus, would you ever just bone him? The love in you have for him is rediculous.

Elonex wrote: »
    Jesus, would you ever just bone him? The love in you have for him is rediculous.
    I don't see why not...

It would be nice to see Kiko alright! But I would also like to see Rooney & Tevez play together up top, they were absolutely brilliant against Fulham in the Quarter Final. And what about Tosić?

Why else would you bring Benitez into it? Assuming you were getting at a Lverpool supporter.

It is a Ferguson thing, just like this morning, him and his mate Allydryce having a pop at Benitez. He be better off concentrating on the game against Everton..

The OP did show an extreme knowledge of the game thinking that an FA cup semi final was to be played at OT.

Go on the Toffees.

The OP did show an extreme knowledge of the game thinking that an FA cup semi final was to be played at OT.

did i say the game was on at OT..?

Go on the Toffees.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

did i say the game was on at OT..?

x apologies, I meant MRnice Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

it's stupid the way it is in wembley.

Stupid because it's Wembley, or stupid because it's at a neutral venue? :confused:
    Arrogance, wonder where it comes from, Ferguson maybe

I wouldn't say responding to a dig at one's knowledge could be classed as arrogance myself. If people want to play hard they should expect the same in return.

Why else would you bring Benitez into it? Assuming you were getting at a Lverpool supporter.

It is a Ferguson thing, just like this morning, him and his mate Allydryce having a pop at Benitez. He be better off concentrating on the game against Everton..

As would we all.

The Benitez thing can be discussed elsewhere, this thread is for those interested in the FA Cup SF between United and Everton.

Wembley decided long ago that it was to host fa cup semi finals so not sure what the bitching is about

they want to recover the 100 trillion billion costs of the stadium or whatever they are, so be it.

Im not in favour of it at all but its all about money these days

I much prefer the old trafford/villa park thing myself

but football = money now sadly that includes 5 quid for a beer [if you are lucky]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Wembley decided long ago that it was to host fa cup semi finals so not sure what the bitching is about

they want to recover the 100 trillion billion costs of the stadium or whatever they are, so be it.

Im not in favour of it at all but its all about money these days

I much prefer the old trafford/villa park thing myself

but football = money now sadly that includes 5 quid for a beer [if you are lucky]

+1 on this. They did this for the last season for the old Wembley as well when Villa played Bolton in the SF, it ruins the sense of occasion imo. If you're going to Wembley that should mean you're going to the final, it sounds a lot more hollow when fans singing they're going to Wembley and the're only going to the S/F, much like the toffees at VP last Sunday:pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

£3.50 in Wembley for beer.

3.6o actually..:p

which is expensive for some piss...

that stadium is friggin huge, you need the hubble craft to see the game from the upper tiers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Everton 2-1

Much as it pains me. :(

Boggles wrote: »
    Everton 2-1

Much as it pains me. :(
    I hope to feck you're trying to Jinx it, I didn't pay for the tickets for nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Rooney out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Rooney out.

Ah no :(

1-0 Everton so.

I hope to feck you're trying to Jinx it, I didn't pay for the tickets for nothing!

Not trying to jinx it, Ferguson will do that for me, I have a feeling we could see Neville at Centre Back.

• Advertisement

Not trying to jinx it, Ferguson will do that for me, I have a feeling we could see Neville at Centre Back.

good god no

I dont see it happening Boggles anyway, we need consistency in the back so Rio and vidic have to start for me

tbh I wont be that mad if everton win once they go on to win the FA cup.

good god no

I dont see it happening Boggles anyway, we need consistency in the back so Rio and vidic have to start for me

tbh I wont that mad if everton win once they go on to win the FA cup.

Think we could see the Brazilians in the full back positions, thats why I reckon Neville will play in the centre.

It's a catch 22 really, playing Vidic and Rio, injury, suspension in the league is a risk, although funnily enough they need game time together.

Think we could see the Brazilians in the full back positions, thats why I reckon Neville will play in the centre.

It's a catch 22 really, playing Vidic and Rio, injury, suspension in the league is a risk, although funnily enough they need game time together.
    imagine nev against cahill or afro phili
    could be villa all over again

nope Vidic and Rio must play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Whats up with Rooney..??

Was in the paper today that Kiko will start
    Federico Macheda, the teenager whose goals have kept Manchester United ahead in the title race, is set to be handed a first start in tomorrow's last-four clash.

Sir Alex Ferguson will make wholesale changes against Everton at Wembley following United's battling Champions League win at Porto in midweek. With a crucial Premier League game against Portsmouth four days later, Fergie must keep his players fresh and ensure they do not suffer burn-out.

And 17-year-old wonder kid Macheda - whose winning goals against Aston Villa and Sunderland preserved United's lead at the top of the Premier table - looks set to get the nod. "When I pick my team on Sunday there will be critics voicing their concern about me not playing my strongest side," said Fergie.

"We've got so many big games coming up, somewhere along the line I've got to make changes. There are some fans who'd like me to play my best team every gam e. That's impossible."

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Whats up with Rooney..??

Was in the paper today that Kiko will start

Mgoraf
    Sir Alex faces a decision on the match-readiness of Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick. “There aren’t any serious injuries, but we’ve got quite a few bumps and bruises. Rooney got a knock, and Carrick got an ankle knock, but nothing serious. The good news is Fletcher has trained in the last few days and he should be OK for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd like to see Rafa and JOS start at full backs, replace Rafa after 60 with Fabio and move O'shea across. Gives Rafa 60 mins which is all I think he could be up for since return.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Welbeck start on the right and Ronaldo on the left.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'd like to see Rafa and JOS start at full backs, replace Rafa after 60 with Fabio and move O'shea across. Gives Rafa 60 mins which is all I think he could be up for since return.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Welbeck start on the right and Ronaldo on the left.

yap that sounds good

welbeck came off early for the reserves too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Foster

Raf
    Vidic
    Rio
    Jos

Ronaldo
    Fletcher
    Scholes
    Park

Tevez
    Kiko

That's what I'd like to see tomorrow. Rest enough players, see what Kiko can do from the start, give Vidic and Rio another game together with Raf aswell to get some confidence back in our defence.

From the way Fergie is talking though it looks like we won't be seeing anything near as strong as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'd probably go for something very similar with:

Foster

Raf
    Vidic
    Rio
    Jos

Ronaldo
    Fletcher
    Scholes
    Nani

Tevez
    Kiko

I expect Nani to get the start as he seems to do so in the cup games and Park could probably do with the rest. Would love to see Fab in for JOS and in fairness JOS could do with a rest, he must be knackered!

The pitch looks decidely dodgy at Wembley :(

Possible Toffee Line up

Howard

Hibbert Jags Lescott Baines
    Osman Neville Cahill Piennear

Fellaini

Saha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement