Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Vs Everton FA Cup Semi 19/04/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The team that was selected was not good enough to win the match.
    The performance of the players was not good enough win the match.
    The choice of penalty takers was not good enough to win the match.

Im not suprised we didnt win.

Well done Everton, congratulations and good luck in the final.

quite fortunate we were, but Everton are bleeding for a medal. We need to up the ante considerably against Chelski or we will get walloped into oblivion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Based on that performance, Chelsea should be fairly confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah cry me a river. All we've been hearing is about this clean sweep, and now it's gone tits up. Excuse me for commenting on it.

Maybe you will, maybe not. Tune in to find out.

That's it, tune in to Man U, cause you won't get much joy out of City anyways, may aswell get some joy out of us losing. Bit pathetic no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

That's bull lad. THe team united played were well capable of winning the game in normal time, and penalties are a lottery..I thought the team Fergie put out did well overall, despite huge inexperience at this level..

Choice of penalty takers is based on who is up for it on the day...the players that didn't put themselves forward possibly should have but they weren't up for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

allybhoy wrote: »
    The analysts on ITV were split 50-50 on it, Sherringham said yes Joe said no.

There was 3 analysts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Agree 100% , why were two centre halfs taking Peno's so early on, in fairness Vida scored but still, it reeks of fergie not giving a toss about it.

As for Berbatov, I am lost for words to describe him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Totally disagree with your first two points

thought we played v.well - evrton just matched us in defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Fair play to Everton, that last penalty from Jagielka was a peach. Granted he should probably been off the pitch before that but a good penalty nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

deisedevil wrote: »
    That's it, tune in to Man U, cause you won't get much joy out of City anyways, may aswell get some joy out of us losing. Bit pathetic no?

Typical deflection from the issue at hand.

This is a match thread yes? United just lost yes? I commented on that.

I'll keep an eye out for your posts in the next Liverpool match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Take off them red shades. The analysts on ITV were split 50-50 on it, Sherringham said yes Joe said no.

Emm.... and Townsend said penalty too.

Hardly 50-50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Boggles wrote: »
    There was 3 analysts.

I know there are 3 in studio but I personally wouldnt describe Andy Townsend as an analyst, I would describe him as a toolbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Good luck Everton - Moyes did his job

Even if we were robbed

Fair play to Everton. Best of luck in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I thought Anelka's careless penalty in the CL Final was a disgrace, but what Berbatov did today was much much worse. It was like he was sulking that he didn't start, you could see it in his face, and he went out of his way to take the most underwhelming penalty possible. I wouldn't mind if he tried to drill it down the centre, but he didn't even put any power in it.th_confused.gif Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Fair play Everton. Always try to be humble in defeat. It would be an easier pill to swallow if Riley hadn't fuked United over again with his "bias". Everton played well other than Fellaini and deserve their place. Hope they go on and beat Chelsea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

All this talk of the studio comments on the peno is rubbish.
    Cant you all see for yourselves ? Do you need a panel to make up your mind?
    It was a 50- 50 could have gone either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

well done Everton, was asked what i wanted this morning, said Everton to win after extra time. delightful :)

I know there are 3 in studio but I personally wouldnt describe Andy Townsend as an analyst, I would describe him as a toolbox.

So it was split 66/33???? I know it doesn't back up your arguement but we might as well tell the truth, yes?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Good performance today, whoever said the team wasn't good enough to win the match has clearly never played a game of soccer in their lives. Utd more than matched everton for nearly all the match. Thought the second period of extra time was the only time really Utd looked under real pressure.
    Everton had as few chances as Utd and both pairs of centre halves were outstanding. On the penalty i thought it should have been given, Wellbeck takes a rgeat touch and it's clumsy but hey you get them and you don't.

Thought Gibson, the twins, Macheda, Vida, Ferdinand were all great.
    I thought Tevez's touch and passing were disgraceful at times. 20million is too much for him. Yes he held the ball up well at times, but what use is that if he can't complete a pass?

All in all, a good game to watch, good luck to everton and their fans - who also should be given some kudos for the terriffic atmosphere that was at wembley today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I wonder what the reaction would be if I posted "UEFA CUP MY ARSE!!!!!!!:D:D:D" after the City game on Thursday :rolleyes:

Anyway, desperately disappointing defeat. Berbatov was a disgrace with that penalty, but at least the younger lads did well.

Btw, that's 3 out of 3 with Anderson in penalty shootouts....how the hell can he still be so shíte in scoring a goal from open play :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Take off them red shades. The analysts on ITV were split 50-50 on it, Sherringham said yes Joe said no. It was in no way a STONE WALL penalty especially watching it in real time. Utd should have put out their best team, destroyed Everton in the first half and then made a few subs. You telling me Rooney\Ronaldo enjoyed being rested for that or would they have preferred to have been out there?

What other result could there be?

he eithier dived, or it was a peno

if he didn't dive, why didn't he get a yellow card?

why would he dive when the keeper came and he was in on goal?

it was a stone wall peno

i would of preferred them to be there? what a stupid question.

the point still stands the team was good enough to beat everton and if the ref did his job they would have

it's not like everton ran them ragged for 120 minutes

did you not watch the match?

Typical deflection from the issue at hand.

This is a match thread yes? United just lost yes? I commented on that.

I'll keep an eye out for your posts in the next Liverpool match thread.

You'll be waiting a long time so because I don't lower myself to that, I don't need to, I have plenty of success to celebrate rather than the lack of success of my rivals.

Again, your pathetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Poor Alex. No quintuple this season. Better luck next time United!

Somebody should have woken Berbatov up before the shootout

Mr Alan wrote: »
    well done Everton, was asked what i wanted this morning, said Everton to win after extra time. delightful :)

Delightful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liam O wrote: »

Even if we were robbed

Robbed? Ferguson was the reasons you didn't win that match.
    So far after talking to a few united supporters the replies have been ''Yeh well league and champions league is more important'' ''Congrats you beat our youth team''

Tbh, I couldn't give to shoites whatever team ferguson played. You's lost, tough luck... It was a good game, very good defence from both sides.

Well done Everton.

Delighted for Fergie :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Fergusan complains about Rafa's lack of respect... how about showing some to Everton and fielding a real team? What was he thinking? Maybe play a few of the youngsters but not that many.

And why didn't Teves hit one? Maybe he was due to take the 5th?

I still thought that United were a little unlucky, but with a full team you'd expect united to win comfrotably

Robbed? Ferguson was the reasons you didn't win that match.

:eek::eek:

It was tense but did Ferguson miss a Peno?

deisedevil wrote: »
    You'll be waiting a long time so because I don't lower myself to that, I don't need to, I have plenty of success to celebrate rather than the lack of success of my rivals.

Again, your pathetic!

City fan happy United lose. Shock fucking horror.

• Advertisement

Take off them red shades. The analysts on ITV were split 50-50 on it, Sherringham said yes Joe said no. It was in no way a STONE WALL penalty especially watching it in real time. Utd should have put out their best team, destroyed Everton in the first half and then made a few subs. You telling me Rooney\Ronaldo enjoyed being rested for that or would they have preferred to have been out there?

Feruuson should be ashamed really, if united had carrick and ronaldo on would have made a huge difference.

But Everton dont have the strength in dept, we have just had vaughan back after serious injuries, saha was the only striker we had. arteta is a huge loss but you reap what you sow and dm is doing a remarkable job to guide Everton into a FA cup final

Fergusan complains about Rafa's lack of respect... how about showing some to Everton and fielding a real team? What was he thinking? Maybe play a few of the youngsters but not that many.

Ah buddy the team he fielded were nudged out on penos and on the day were marginally the better team.

Why don't you show some of that respect you are harping on about, at the very least show a bit of cop on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Well done Everton.

Delighted for Fergie :pac:

im delighted to

all the top players rested now ready to go for pompey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

ntlbell wrote: »
    not nice to go out when robbed of a blatant penalty looks like moyes is the new master in mind games.

fair play in the end they defended very well.

I don't think he was robbed of a definite penalty, looks like there was a touch on the players leg and then he kicked himself in the leg a step later. And even if they were they have already missed two penalties today, what makes you think that they would have scored that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Look the bottom line is Ferguson made a call on putting out a weakened team, it nearly payed off.

Moyes won the mind games with his questioning of reilly reffing it. He got the decesion he wanted.

It was a penalty but as has been said in many a thread theses decesions balance out over the season.

I think he's eluding to the fact that if someone has nothing to celebrate except their rivals losing

it's a little bit sad, you have to agree, it is a little bit.

To all the 'Pool/Arsenal fans coming here. Think about it. Everton are in one more final than your team are this season and are still in the same amount of competitions as you. Hurts inside does it? Especially for 'Pool fans

Headshot wrote: »
    im delighted to

delighted you lost yeah? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Well done Everton hopefully they go on to win it, would like to see Moyes winning something.

Makes me feel alot better after yesterday! Berbatov is laughable 30million pounds quality signing. He probably after forgetting about the miss already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Well done Everton. Think it was a stonewall penalty on wellbeck but then again i may be a tad biased. Berba needs to take a look at himself after that and if I dont see a marked improvement in his game I'll be majorly dissapointed.

Anyway, fair play to Everton, 2 good defenses, good luck in the final and I really hope they chin Chelsea.

How is anyone ment to win a penalty shootout against a keeper with tourettes anyway ? :p

• Advertisement

I don't think he was robbed of a definite penalty, looks like there was a touch on the players leg and then he kicked himself in the leg a step later. And even if they were they have already missed two penalties today, what makes you think that they would have scored that one.

it looks like there was? so it looks like it was a peno?

Headshot wrote: »
    im delighted to

lol love the way some manc fans find a silver lining in anything :)

To all the 'Pool/Arsenal fans coming here. Think about it. Everton are in one more final than your team are this season and are still in the same amount of competitions as you. Hurts inside does it? Especially for 'Pool fans

post of the day !

City had the balls to have a go at the UEFA cup and should have seen off that game. Alex Ferguson was far too snobbish in putting out that team imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

A disappointing end to the game but congratulations to Everton, wouldn't begrudge David Moyes some success. Poor team selection IMO but in Fergie I trust and I believe that the priorities for the season (League and Champions' League) will still hopefully come good.

ntlbell wrote: »
    I think he's eluding to the fact that if someone has nothing to celebrate except their rivals losing

it's a little bit sad, you have to agree, it is a little bit.

But I do have something to celebrate. I'm on a high after we won today.

This was just an added bonus, and I'm sure that there are Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc etc fans who feel the same.

Plus I'm delighted for Everton and Moyes. Great team and manager.

Lol, good point.

The peno incident in the game wasn't the be all and end all.

Two defences played really well and more or less cancelled each other out and game went to peno's, a lottery and Everton took theirs better than we did.

That's about all there is to it, no injustice, just disapointment for Man U.

Fair play Everton, would like to see them win in the final.

Grow up FFS, i came on here to give a fair opinion on the game,i praised most of the manc team, go back and read my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tbh if anyone was going to knock us out I'm fairly happy for it to be Everton - David Moyes has put together a great team over the last number of years and he and they deserve success.

Hope they go and win it.

• Advertisement

But I do have plenty to celebrate. I'm on a high after we won today.

This was just an added bonus, and I'm sure that there are Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc etc fans who feel the same.

That's very true, a win over WBA to sit in mid table.

an abundance of mediocrity is definitely worth celebrating in my view.

congrats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement