Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification

Options
  • 15-04-2009 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I got a flyer through the door about a new beauty salon. They stated they had 50%** of treatments for the month of April. (**50% off applies to treatments totalling 50 euro or more). I had 2 treatments one costing 35 and one costing 18, totalling 53 euro. When I went to pay they told me that the 50% was off anything over 50 not the total bill. Is that what you would have picked up from the flyer? Felt a little put out but didnt want to cause a scene so just payed up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a little ambigious, but the use of the word 'totalling' would suggest that your interpretation was correct.

I'd go back, ask to speak to the manager and look for a refund. You could consider making a complaint to the ASAI (Advertising Standards Association of Ireland) on the basis that the flyer was not clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If thats the exact wording on the form, i would think the same thing as you thought. Its not a nice situation to be in, but you should go back to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

dee07 wrote: »
    (**50% off applies to treatments totalling 50 euro or more)

I think you were justified in the way you read it. Otherwise why didn't they put ''50% off applies to individual treatments costing 50 euro or more'':rolleyes:

It has been my experience that some new and smaller business just don't ''get'' how to word flyers with offers and such - they don't look at how it could be read from a customer's point of view. It could have been a genuine error or it could equally have been purposefully misleading. I would have a word with the manager and explain that as it's a new business it would be a pity for them to p*ss off new and potential customers. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe I'm thick but I honestly read it their way. Before I got to the point in your post I was saying "what is she looking for? Those treatments were each less than €50". Just my angle on it - for what it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They should have said "treatments costing 50 or more" and not "totaling 50 or more". Totaling makes it sound as though you can add up several individual items. Very misleading, but I'm not sure what you can actually do about it after paying. Maybe ask for the manager, and explain your (reasonable) take on the wording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 dee07

Thanks for all the advice. Spoke to the manager and I should have got the reduction. All sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sometimes people screw themselves with these discount promotions.

Years ago in the UK, I was doing an audit, and the staff were telling me that their boss was a crafty bastard. One week, he asked them if he could have their copies of a local newspaper when they'd finished with them. To keep in with him, they handed them over and thought no more about it. About a month later they found out that a bathroom fitting firm were threatening to sue him because he refused to pay the bill for a luxury bathroom installation.

He had apparently cut a wad of 10% discount vouchers out of the local paper and handed them over when the work had been completed.

The bathroom company took him to court and lost, simply because the vouchers didn't say 10% on a single installation.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Sometimes people screw themselves with these discount promotions.

Years ago in the UK, I was doing an audit, and the staff were telling me that their boss was a crafty bastard. One week, he asked them if he could have their copies of a local newspaper when they'd finished with them. To keep in with him, they handed them over and thought no more about it. About a month later they found out that a bathroom fitting firm were threatening to sue him because he refused to pay the bill for a luxury bathroom installation.

He had apparently cut a wad of 10% discount vouchers out of the local paper and handed them over when the work had been completed.

The bathroom company took him to court and lost, simply because the vouchers didn't say 10% on a single installation.:D

so he used 10 10% off vouchers to pay for a luxury bathroom :rolleyes:
    hes a tight cnut but u have to admire the balls of pulling a stunt like that

hes lucky he was dealing with a repuatable company ,some of the guys out there would burn your house to the ground if you tried to pull that kind of sh1t with them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

delllat wrote: »
    so he used 10 10% off vouchers to pay for a luxury bathroom :rolleyes:
    hes a tight cnut but u have to admire the balls of pulling a stunt like that

hes lucky he was dealing with a repuatable company ,some of the guys out there would burn your house to the ground if you tried to pull that kind of sh1t with them

He was an obnoxious high-powered local individual, with no conscience whatsoever, who was so loaded that he could have paid cash and not noticed. Had anyone else tried it, they'd have been drowned in their new bath.

Advertisement