Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nights away around Dublin! HELP!

• 15-04-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi people of Boards!

I'm looking for some help! I've a friend over in a weeks time and i'm trying to arrange a night away on a budget. The problem is I don't drive and it's only for one night, so it'll need to be
    A- within public transport reach of Dublin City Centre (1-2 hours)
    B- inexpensive
    C- A nice place to visit...

Does such a place exist?!
    Can anyone around North/South County Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Meath or Louth offer any nice suggestions?!
    You're help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
    nidhona3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

What age are you/your visiting friend, roughly?
    Interests (shopping, sightseeing, restaurants, bars, clubs?)
    Different strokes for different folks so need to know a bit more about what you're looking for before I can begin to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nidhona3

Many thanks for your reply!

Well we're 23 and 25. Would really like to do either some activities or sightseeing not too far from the city. Also on a very tight budget.
    Any restaurant / bar suggestions would be great aswell.

I am really trying to show my guest a taste of ireland outside of dublin...but yet within a short distance, if that makes sense.
    I'm sure there are some beautiful local spots that we could go to, accomodation may be required too.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Trim in Co. Meath, it's 25 miles from Dublin? CIE buses are fairly frequent (one every hour or so) all week round except on Sundays when there are maybe 3/4 buses all day. It takes about 50 mins to an hour to get to O'Connell Street depending on traffic.
    Things to see and do... Trim Castle was used as the set for the City of York in Braveheart, and the OPW/Duchas operate tours of the castle grounds and keep all year round. There are walking routes along the River Boyne from one end of the town to the other, and they're dotted with historical buildings, the Castle, the Yellow Steeple, abbeys and all the rest. For a nice place to eat I'd say Franzini O'Briens or the restaurants in the three hotels below.
    There are about a half dozen hotels in the town on a variety of budgets. Try Brogans, Trim Castle Hotel or the Castle Arch Hotel, in that order. They're all very well maintained, the first and third were extensively refurbished and extended in the last 2 years and the second only opened brand new 2 years ago. I'd reckon budgetwise that they're ranked high to low TCH/Brogans/CAH. They all have music, bars and good food.
    Failing that try some of the B&Bs around the town, Highfield House and White House are two centrally located ones that come to mind but there are plenty more on the outskirts.
    Nightlife, there are some pubs with great character, Lenihans and McCormacks are most popular among twentysomethings, but if you're looking for something a bit different Marcy's at Newtown is the size of the average box room in a house and is always wedged.
    Only thing Trim is really really lacking is a nightclub, for that you'd have to go to Navan, about 7 miles away and local hackneys operate minibuses to and from on Fri, Sat and Sun at a price of €15 return per head.

If you have any questions about any other towns in Meath feel free to ask, hope this is of some help!

Advertisement