Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo and Eczema

Options
  • 15-04-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi

I've being toying with the idea of getting a tattoo for a while now. Just not sure what and where...! My problem is I have very dry skin and a small amount of eczema. I often have to use steroid creams to get rid of it. Do any of you guys know if there are any problems getting tattoos if you have eczema. Or have any of yee got tattoo's and have eczema...?

Cheers

Rats

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

I have no tattoos (yet!) but I do have excema, and to be honest when I do get a tattoo I will steer clear of the places where I get excema (arms, neck/upper back and face - not that I would get a tattoo on my face anyway though! lol). Tbh I just feel healing would be a lot of hassle if I were to get a breakout of excema at the time, and that regular breakouts in the area of the tattoo could ruin it.

Do you get it on your whole body or just some places? If it's just some places I would avoid those places and get it somewhere where the excema couldn't possibly be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Heh thanks for the response. The main problem area is my fingers but i do get it on and off pretty much everywhere else (except my face...!). I was actually thinking of a wrist/hand area for the tattoo or maybe shoulder/neck area. My wrists are generally clear as is my neck with only small patches every now and again on my shoulders. Anyone else any info on this...????

As for what to get... thats the only thing holding me back..! I am into graphics and logos in a big way but I want something that means something to me if its going to be on my skin for life...! Not sure what...

Rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I have Psoriasis and it can get quite bad at times

I got my tattoo done when my Psoriasis had decided to calm down for a little while

As psorisas (and I assume eczema) tens to form around injured skin it did flare up a bit after I got the tattoo and it has come and gone since

It doesn't seem to have impacted or harmed my tattoo in anyway so I would say wait until a period where it is calm and you should be ok to go for it, might be no harm to seek the opinion of an expert though

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Cheers mate... thats exactly my thinking..! To be honest my eczema is mostly calm and only aggravated by stress (and a few other things). So I just have to chill for a while and it'll all go away..! haha. I do think medical advice is probably the right idea.

Thanks

Rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

I get pretty bad eczema on my hands and legs, but the one place I've have never really gotten any is my upper back, so that's where I got my tattoos, two tiny ones beside my shoulder blades. When they were healing, I found them to be really itchy, however I did my best to resist the urge to scratch as I knew I'd ruin them if I did.
    I've had them nearly a year now and occasionally they get slightly itchy or tight-feeling and raised but I put a bit of E45 cream on them and that usually does the job.
    So if I were you, I wouldn't get any tattoo's on any areas of your body that you find is prone to breakouts, get them somewhere that is usually eczema free. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement