Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I getting...HELP

Options
  • 16-04-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

New to this..sorry in advance to you clever people that know how this works.

I am currently paying Eircom for 7meg broadband but I have done the speedtest.net thing and the best it comes up with no matter what time of day or night is coming out at:

Download: 3.70Mb/s (highest yet!!!)
    Upload : .32Mb/s
    Ping : 73ms

Dont know what else you need to help if you can but surely if I am paying for 7meg should it not be a little closer to 7meg rather than 4meg.

Please educate me...is this the norm or should I downgrade to 3meg and save a few euros.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

How much speed you get from Broadband depends on your individual line. If your line is far from the exchange or poor quality you will get less speed. I'm guessing your line just isn't good enough for 7mbit, but will need to see your line stats

To do this go to http://192.168.1.254/ then select expert mode on the left hand side, then under that heading go to statistics and then DSL. What you are looking for is Max allowed speed, SN margin and Line attenuation, post your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kjenkinson26

this is what it is telling me.....whats up?
    DownstreamUpstreamMax Allowed Speed (kbps)4384384SN Margin (dB)8.6018.00Line Attenuation (dB)27.0011.50CRC Errors00

Ill try that again.

Max Allowed Speed (kbps)4384384
    SN Margin (dB)8.7018.00Line Attenuation (dB)27.0011.50

sorry. tried copying and pasting but not sure how to do it so it looks right when i post.

Max allowed speed 4384
    sn margin 8.70
    line attenuation 27.0

sorry. tried copying and pasting but not sure how to do it so it looks right when i post.

Max allowed speed 4384
    sn margin 8.70
    line attenuation 27.0
    Your SNR seems a little low but basically right now your line is not capable of much more than 4.3mbit as shown above. You might be able to improve this by plugging everything in the house connected to the phone line out (phones/sky boxes/xboxs etc) and plugging the modem into the main socket where the phone line enters the house. Once you do this, post the results just like before and see is there any difference. If there is any difference it might be possible to improve your speed.

I suggest you wait till morning to do this as you will probably wake up everyone in the house :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

New to this..sorry in advance to you clever people that know how this works.

I am currently paying Eircom for 7meg broadband but I have done the speedtest.net thing and the best it comes up with no matter what time of day or night is coming out at:

Download: 3.70Mb/s (highest yet!!!)
    Upload : .32Mb/s
    Ping : 73ms

Dont know what else you need to help if you can but surely if I am paying for 7meg should it not be a little closer to 7meg rather than 4meg.

Please educate me...is this the norm or should I downgrade to 3meg and save a few euros.

Thanks

I pay for the 3mb package but on a test never get more than 2and half if lucky!I am only half mile from my provider!
    as said by other poster distance etc important.

7m package far more expensive,do you need it for buisness or home use?

have you phoned them to ensure you are on the 7m package?believe it or not they have to physicly move a cable at the exchange:eek:so eircom told me anyway:)

I would complain about it although in the fine print they do say the package you sign up to is the maximum speed you will get.you could downgrade to the 3m package but if what you are getting now is not a technical fault at the exchange or your line I shudder to think what speed you would get then:(

I have not got Eircom broadbands technical support number to hand but the vast majority of the people working for them actually enjoy their job and will troubleshoot with you,I know it is not a premium rate number,worth a call?

wish you luck:)

Ha Ha..thats true...don't think the family would be too impressed with me pulling out sky boxes etc at this time.

Great advice and I will try tomorrow, but to be a bit of an arse....should I have to. I was sold 7meg and the salesman didn't said that nothing else could be connected to the phoneline. Thats just salesmen though!!!

I'm just pissed off because I signed up with Eircom 3 months ago and have paid basically €210 for broadband as my total minutes for calls over the 3 months was only 25 mins.

I tried the first incarnation of 3 1mb and that never worked when I needed it. Do I have any alternatives. I can't justify €70 a month for the internet??

Thanks a mill ydontu. I will give them a shout tmorrow and check it out.

I might be a bit stupid but is it not illegal to advertise a service and then never be able to provide it.

I have this row with 3 at the minute, as I was working as a photojournalist at the time, took pictures of a person convicted of murder, I was the only photographer there so had exclusive pictures, I was called by at least 3 daily papers looking for the pics....but...no....3 would not work. Could not get a signal, and I have a 3 phone which shows 3G access. So if the phone can not get a signal the dongle defo won't.

Could have earned a packet but 3 want to go to court for €40 for cancelling early even though I explained this to them. I will pay this too as I have no other option.

Regardless of small print, we do get screwed over here.

Ha Ha..thats true...don't think the family would be too impressed with me pulling out sky boxes etc at this time.

Great advice and I will try tomorrow, but to be a bit of an arse....should I have to. I was sold 7meg and the salesman didn't said that nothing else could be connected to the phoneline. Thats just salesmen though!!!

I'm just pissed off because I signed up with Eircom 3 months ago and have paid basically €210 for broadband as my total minutes for calls over the 3 months was only 25 mins.

I tried the first incarnation of 3 1mb and that never worked when I needed it. Do I have any alternatives. I can't justify €70 a month for the internet??

every device on every phone jack in your house has to have a filter or everything goes to crap!the filter puts your phone calls on one(channel)and your internet on another.

I think you have a case as even with Eircoms fine print about maximum speed only getting half what you are paying for is absurd.If they cannot help you technicly i think they will most likely let you out of the 12 month contract.

their are some purely wireless internet providers(no phone line needed at all)it is the luck of the draw if you are within range.the comreg site gives coverage and best value for money deals for a particulor area,also in many area,s upc provide internet via their tv cable(again area specific)you are getting a lousy deal as things stand.

This is the way things are, they sell you UPTO 7mbit. You signed the contract and they are providing what they said they would. They are are giving you the full speed but your line is poor so it only connects at 4.3. SFA you can do about it if the things I mentioned don't effect it. I would wait till you try what I mentioned above and if it doesn't improve it get them to put you back down to 3mbit package.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that guys. Much appreciated, will post and let you know what happens.

This is the way things are, they sell you UPTO 7mbit. You signed the contract and they are providing what they said they would. They are are giving you the full speed but your line is poor so it only connects at 4.3. SFA you can do about it if the things I mentioned don't effect it. I would wait till you try what I mentioned above and if it doesn't improve it get them to put you back down to 3mbit package.

This is not a battle of wills or who is the cleverest.

Eircom have taken a very reasonable approach with me in the past and in general will see reason and be fair.If sold a pig in a poke people can at least try to return it!

their is a mechanism to escalate a dispute with eircom if the OP gets no satisfaction with his well justified complaint.any consumor issue involves the word reasonable, 4.3 instead of 7 is off the scale of being reasonable.
    If it turns out not to be a technical fault it is a consumor issue & the kind of publicity eircom or any isp could do without right now.I am sure the issue will be resolved amicliby.eircom would well know by a simple line test the OP,s line speed could never even approach 7m

ynotdu wrote: »
    This is not a battle of wills or who is the cleverest.
    Never said it was, or even posted anything in any way close to trying to cause an argument, just gave my opinion of an issue I have had a lot of experience with, (trying to get Eircom to do something).

I probably should have elaborated on my last post more (might be the time I guess :P). Eircom are indeed quite reasonable when it comes to moving down packages etc. but there is very little chance that he can get anything done about the quality of his line if he is getting a stable DSL signal and Phone service.
    If it turns out not to be a technical fault it is a consumor issue & the kind of publicity eircom or any isp could do without right now.I am sure the issue will be resolved amicliby.eircom would well know by a simple line test the OP,s line speed could never even approach 7m
    This is less a technical fault and more a limitation of the equipment and technology. I'm hoping the OP will be able to squeeze another mbit or two but probably won't get much more. Even if in the case of the OP not getting the full speed was because of a poorish line the fact is he is getting a stable dsl connection and phone service it's not considered by Eircom to be an issue.

Raising this issue with Eircom is really just going to lead to them suggesting to move down to the 3mbit package like I have already suggested and there really is little else they will do.

to maintain and upgrade:rolleyes: the quality of phone lines!

This is less a technical fault and more a limitation of the equipment and technology. I'm hoping the OP will be able to squeeze another mbit or two but probably won't get much more. Even if in the case of the OP not getting the full speed was because of a poorish line the fact is he is getting a stable dsl connection and phone service it's not considered by Eircom to be an issue.

Raising this issue with Eircom is really just going to lead to them suggesting to move down to the 3mbit package like I have already suggested and there really is little else they will do.

to maintain and upgrade:rolleyes: the quality of phone lines!

That is how it is meant to work but it most definitely is not the way it works. Unless it was a fault effecting service, eg. not being able to connect to the internet, serious and constant disconnects or something effecting the voice calls Eircom are not going to do anything for you.
    We are getting a little off topic now though I'm guessing its just a case of the OP just being a little too far from the exchange or internal wiring issues to get 7mbit and not a line quality issue.

Thanks a million lads. Didn't get a chance to talk to Eircom today but will defo do it tomorrow.

Do any mobile broadband schemes work or are they crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The one other thing i don't think anyone mentioned is line contention if there are other's connected to Eircom, BT & Perlico in and around you you can be sharing your line with up to 24 people which means 24 ppl could be trying to get 7mb/s out of your line (Thats unlikely tho).

Also if you take a look at the uk the average speed bought is 8mb/s but the average speed they get is 2mb/s it's probably just a mixture of congestion and distance from the exchange.

Hi lads, I switched everything off but still no improvement. Are any of the wireless providers any good. I dont need a home phone and only have it for the DSL broadband.

What are my options. I don't need or want a landline but from experience (thanks 3) tha wireless seems ****???

The one other thing i don't think anyone mentioned is line contention if there are other's connected to Eircom, BT & Perlico in and around you you can be sharing your line with up to 24 people which means 24 ppl could be trying to get 7mb/s out of your line (Thats unlikely tho).

Also if you take a look at the uk the average speed bought is 8mb/s but the average speed they get is 2mb/s it's probably just a mixture of congestion and distance from the exchange.

That is completely irrelevant. What the OP is experiencing has nothing to do with contention. If it was a case of him connecting at 7mbit and only getting 4mbit on speed tests it would probably be contention but he is only connecting at 4mbit.
    Hi lads, I switched everything off but still no improvement. Are any of the wireless providers any good. I dont need a home phone and only have it for the DSL broadband.

What are my options. I don't need or want a landline but from experience (thanks 3) tha wireless seems ****???

Stay away from the mobile providers, there are some good fixed wireless providers that would be comparable with DSL but there are some absolute lemons too. Check who provides it in your area and then do some research on each.

Advertisement