Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Upgrading" my Dell XPS210

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

:D

For a second I'd thought you'd gone mad... then my suspicions were confirmed (you did the decent thing and binned most of the Dell :p)

Only problem is that Pixmania doesn't have the best range of parts...

CPU: Are you going to overclock it?? ;)
    Cooler: I'm pretty sure the Vortex is mediocre at best (Pix has few decent coolers)
    Mobo: Can't believe that's the cheapest P45 CrossFire board :eek: Bloomin' Pix! You sure you need CrossFire support?
    RAM: Nice deal but some mobos have issues with four very high-clocked DIMMs.
    GPU: Nice, cheapest HD4890Pro by a long way.
    PSU: Fail. Lian Li are great for cases but their PSUs are from Sirtec :( And its awful pricey too. Can't you find a decent Enermax there? (aside from which Pix have few choices)

The CPU going in it right away wont be OCed but I will be getting an E8400 to OC at a later date along with a better cooler for the CPU, so the cpu cooler on that list is of little concern, it's only really a stop gap since the dell only had a heatsink with a fan near it at an intake hole.

I'll have a look at another PSU, I assumed lian-li had a good rep for everything, not just the cases.. As for the MoBo, I think it's a good choice in the long run, as I will be planning to OC in the future aswell as put a second 4890 in within a few months. >_>

I'm kind of restricted to what sites I buy from, can only buy with paypal since I refuse to get a credit/laser card.

EDIT: Looking at the enermax PSUs nothing really stands out, I could get a 500w for €98, I guess either way I will be looking to upgrade the PSU when I get the new CPU and second GPU..

EDIT AGAIN: http://cgi.ebay.ie/700w-EZCool-Power-Supply-Dual-Rail-Gaming-Silent-SLI_W0QQitemZ220393554997QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH?hash=item220393554997&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Its 700w but it "only" has two 6 pin pci-e connectors. That's enough for one 4890 and no more. I could get molex-6pin connectors but I don't like the idea of that much..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

EDIT: Just to add I will be installing(providing the drivers work) Windows 7 64-bit, so I won't have to worry about having only 3GB of RAM.

Windows 7 is not very stable. I had lots of problem with it and so did other people I know of. You better go with vista x64. Besides that window 7 licence is till august and after that you probaly can't buy it yet, so you might need a OS then anyway.

I've been using 7 32-bit build 7000 since its release as my main OS and I have yet to find a single fault with it.. Like I said though I can imagine there might be some driver issues especially from the GPU with windows 7 but I'll just play it by ear for the time being. Last thing I want to do is buy a copy of Vista before 7 is released..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I've been using 7 32-bit build 7000 since its release as my main OS and I have yet to find a single fault with it.. Like I said though I can imagine there might be some driver issues especially from the GPU with windows 7 but I'll just play it by ear for the time being. Last thing I want to do is buy a copy of Vista before 7 is released..

I tried the 64 bits and it crashed on me lots of times. I toco123 did try aswell and stopped using it.

Aside from a merry old time trying to get CIM to run properly (Catalyst itself works, but the PoS Vista installer is borked) and not recognising my Samsung phone or its drivers I've had no real problems with Windows 7, let alone crashes :P

Mind you, it doesn't like GTA4 much though, need to use arcanery just to get it installed and then it CTDs every so (regular) often, known issue :rolleyes:
    I'm kind of restricted to what sites I buy from, can only buy with paypal since I refuse to get a credit/laser card

*cough*3V*cough* ;) And HWVS does bank transfer anyway :)

And that eGay PSU? You've gone from "slightly dodgy" to "epic fail" :( 700W with two 20A rails?! I don't even want to think of its chances of survival let alone (in)efficency :o

Suck it down and get stuff piecemeal with 3V vouchers, PayPal + reputable sites (i.e. not 99% of eGay) or get it all from HWVS.

EDIT: Checked and those failboxes are SunPro units. I'd grade it "F" compared to PSUs in general as compared to Lian Li's "D+" (Sirtec's very best, but that ain't anything to boast about!) :( At least its better than Deer/Solytech/Allied - I'd give them an "NG" :D

Would you not consider pix a reputable site? I don't see much wrong with it :S

I have a 3V card somewhere, last I checked it was broken so I'll have to get another one posted out.

EDIT: http://www3.hardwareversand.de/3VNkMEbBKr4lq0/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=10322&agid=240&apop=0

Hows that? I'm not sure if it has enough PCI-E 6pin connectors though, from what I can read off the site it has none =/

EDIT AGAIN: Ok it has 2 6-pin and 2 8-pin. Will the 8 pin connectors work in 6-pin slots for when I get another 4890 or will I have to buy converters(AFAIK the GPU comes with a 4-pin molex to 6-pin pci-e, would these do?)

Would you not consider pix a reputable site? I don't see much wrong with it

Nothing wrong with Pix although they can be asses over RMA issues so ppl tend to be cautious about buying tons of stuff there at the same time (law of averages, odds of some stuff going wrong...) Also some of their stuff is good value with a comprehensive range, then another section is full of poor or poor-value stuff :rolleyes:
    Hows that?

Okay, now I know you're taking the ****! A choice between a Casing Micron PoS or a genuine unirail Channel Well for about a fiver more... and guess which one you picked? :DThis is the one I'm talking about. Now, the TX650 might work as well (yes, even with an OCd E8400 and a couple of mildly OCd HD4890s) but its very much AWOL. And when I suggested HWVS, I meant you should consider getting a good few of your outstanding items there, as while its very cheap it also has a hefty flat fee for p&p in this direction :rolleyes: Although you might still be better off getting a couple of items off Pix, especially that oh-so-cheap HD4890Pro :)

Aber mein deutsch ist..nicht so gut >.<

I'll poke about through HWVS and see if it's worth my while getting some of the stuff there. Shouldn't you be in bed btw?

HWVS
    qx3v6h.png

Pix
    21ya1v.png

• Advertisement

Ok here we go!

I got everything but the GPU so I put the machine together. Booted up first time for me and all! Only problem was fan I forgot to plug in. I OCed it the night it was finished. Spent all night at it.It's quite addictive lol. After some stress testing I figured I couldnt get it much higer with 100% stability.

This is what I got
    2wqv5ee.jpg

And Idle temps:
    717l09.jpg

did I do good?

EDIT: People are saying there must be something wrong with my thermal sensors.. now I'm scared :(

Sweet! But what are the Load temps like? As in "Mean temperature after a successful 6+ hour Prime/Orthos torture session"? :D

At least the software agrees on the temps - one of the advantages of 65nm Core2s. The newer ones are a bit tempermental (only CoreTemp seems to give accurate per-core readings with 45nm CPUs, the normally reliable SpeedFan is usually waaay off)

It was idling at 24/5 after about 12 hours. I put it on load for about 5 hours and it was stuck solid at 53 degrees. Goood temps I'd say.

Advertisement