Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba sí! Yankee see!

Options
  • 16-04-2009 7:59am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

After decades of denying tourism to Cuba by US citizens (except under special circumstances), Obama has lifted part of the ban as pertains to those wanting to visit family members in Cuba?

Source: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/hotelcheckin/post/2009/04/65440227/1

What says the Party of No? People of other persuasions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

About time. If the US allowed normal trade and travel with Cuba Castro would be long gone. Was in Cuba a few years ago, the embargo unites them against the US and with Castro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Does anyone find it amusing that during the campaign Obama once said that he preferred to normalise the US relations with Cuba? Now, months later he is doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A Politician living up to campaign promises?

A strange new world...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Scary stuff indeed.

I welcome this measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Does anyone find it amusing that during the campaign Obama once said that he preferred to normalise the US relations with Cuba? Now, months later he is doing it?

It's good to see a politician deliver on a promise. Yes, it IS amusing in that this rarely happens.

About Cuba, most of you are too young to understand truly why the US has been at odds for so long. Castro took us within minutes of nuclear war with Russia, had warheads in his country pointed at the US, and was willing to use nuclear warheads against the USA to gain further favor with Russia. Robert McNamara says a lot about it in his memoirs, books and the documentary "Fog Of War". Such a thing is actually unforgivable. And, to be honest, Obama would not be speaking with Fidel Castro about easing relations. Only the fact Fidel is nearly dead allows Obama to keep his campaign promise.

As for me? Yes, now that Fidel is effectively out, I think it would be best to subvert their government by submerging their culture in ours and turning it into a big tourist trap for the US. Eventually their regime will lose control and be toppled or adopt democracy. In the short run, it would make it easier for me to get Cuban cigars locally instead of having to go into Mexico.

• Advertisement
Advertisement